Nhl point system

CrookedThumb

For .500 record you would have to be - 40 Wins 2 Ties 20 Loss 20 OTL because Tie's count as a half of 1 in terms of Win % giving you 41/82 and 40*2=80 + 2 = 82 + 20= 102, now that's a lot of points for a team that is just .500. 102 would of gotten you 4th or 5th place in East and West.

last year for example a lot of teams were above .500 not all made the playoffs. I say about 35-37 Wins should get you into the playoffs but that wasn't the case for Dallas in 01-02 Season.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, a .500 record could be 41-41-0-0, meaning 82 points in 82 games.  

Before the OTL was introduced, you could easily determine how many games above/below .500 a team was by comparing their point total to the number of games played.  With the extra OTL points introduced, that theory is a little bit blown out, but it's still relatively close.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The refs were tired and didn't want to throw away a goal taht should have counted. toe in the crease? big flippin deal.If it wasn't gonna be a goal, Hasek woulda stopped it.

About fairness tho, teams taht usually wouldn't have gotten as many points before would get a handful more using this overtime-lose system, giving some teams that 2 or 3 points nessissary to make the playoffs or wina division.

But its also unfair in that it still gives you points for losing

SHB sounds alittle frustrated oh well when your team sucks it can get very frustrating we have been all there and when the loses mount every little call can drive you nuts so I understand where SHB is coming from.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

oh SUUUUURRRREEEE you do rolleyes.gif

good fanbases like san jose arent allowed to have a sucessfull team, whereas fanbases that dont deserve a sucessfull team say like oh....ANAHEIM are allowed to

it is hard and extremely trying to be a san jose sharks fan. you fill your building, buy your team's merchandise, and do you best to promote the game of hockey throughout the bay area, and what do you get in return? You get nothing but disrespect from the other NHL markets, the league offices, and north american media outlets. watch any league produced television promotion, and you see equal highlight clips of all 29 other franchises and you dont see a single sharks clip until the very end of the promo and its but a half second long. even when the team is COMPETITIVE we get the same treatment. during our 5 year playoff run the league was not promoting our best players, but promoting players such as paul kariya, nikolai khabibulin, danny heatley.....all whom at the time played on teams that havent had anywhere near the postseason sucess that the san jose sharks have had. we never get put on national tv, whereas the afore mentioned clubs were given national air time.

so even when our team is giving us a chance to cheer, does anyone care? apparently only we do. when and if the day comes when the sharks win the cup, it will be in spite of all the crap the rest of the hockey world puts us through. and when that day comes I hope to god that the captain of the sharks (whoever it may be) snatches that microphone from gary bettman's hand during his insincere congratulatory speech and sounds off with one big F U to bettman, his officials, and the rest of the 29 clubs in the NHL.

I watch Sportscenter all the time, NHL is usually the last clip. Reason why they show the Sharks last? It's on the West Coast and probably didn't get it the footage till late. You get the same amount of treatment as any other small market team in the NHL. I love hockey but it's 4th major sport and it will be treated like the 4th sport. To say NHL doesn't want the Sharks to suceed, is crazy. That's like giving a girl a wedding ring and not marrying her or giving the city a franchise and not wanting them to win. Does anybody believe this guy? Are you for real? I can't believe you think NHL and Media is against the sharks!

The reason the team isn't on national tv is because what super star does Shark have? or how good have they been in recent years? I do remember NHL2 Tonite talking about you Nabokov like he was the next coming of Hasek. His stats this season prove a lot. A lot of teams in the NHL haven't been on national tv ever or in awhile.

To say NHL doesn't want the Sharks to suceed, is crazy. That's like giving a girl a wedding ring and not marrying her or giving the city a franchise and not wanting them to win. Does anybody believe this guy? Are you for real? I can't believe you think NHL and Media is against the sharks!

then prove me wrong, if you can

because most likely, you cant

good fanbases like san jose arent allowed to have a sucessfull team, whereas fanbases that dont deserve a sucessfull team say like oh....ANAHEIM are allowed to

I think it's more the fact that everything for Anaheim just happened to click last season. It was in Bryan Murray's best interest of his own team to promote Mike Babcock as head coach and then to sign Adam Oates and Peter Sykora, and then fetch Ozolinsh and Niedermeyer at the trade deadline. Who would have thought they would win the conference? Even me, the die-hard Duck fan, couldn't have predicted that. Hell, San Jose probably could have signed them, but maybe what they offered wasn't good enough for the PLAYERS. It's not the league's fault that Giguere just happened to play superbly. I don't think the NHL set it up that way. I think it was just the Ducks organization themselves managing to get it all right for once.

The Sharks on the other hand were, at the start of last season, voted the second-most likely team to win the Cup. Things looked good on paper until Nabokov had that hold-out and it slowed the team down. See, now you can't blame the media or the league because one of your players chooses to avoid playing until his demands are met. Your team may have a bigger fanbase, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Hell, the Leafs have the biggest fanbase in Canada, and yet for the past 36 years they just couldn't get it done while small-market Edmonton and arch-rival Montreal have dynasties. Is Toronto blaming the league? No. Is Toronto blaming the media? I'd sure as hell think they aren't.

I know one thing for sure...as far as I can tell, the Sharks are much more respected than the Ducks. Up until last March, I'd be hard to find any Ducks highlights on TV at all. (It's Canada, things are probably more different down there) All I'd see are maybe brief boxscores or ten second highlights of the other team scoring.

The only reason the Ducks were more popular for those two months of this year was (1.) They not only made the playoffs, but shocked the friggin world by sweeping the powerhouse of Detroit, then knocked off Dallas and steamrolled the trap-happy Wild. That should be reason enough to make the world take notice. (2.) They were the underdog, and let's face it, the world loves an underdog, no matter how ugly, stupid, mis-managed or undeserving the team may be. (3.) The surreality of the MIGHTY F***IN' DUCKS possibly winning the Stanley Cup just seemed like too unique an opportunity to pass up on. If the Ducks fumble it this year, it's back to obscurity.

If the NHL is against San Jose, I'd hate to see what poor Nashville thinks. When's the last time anyone ever focused on them? When's the last time they were on "Game of the Week" Same goes for the Blue Jackets. You barely hear didly squat about them. At least we know what the Sharks are always up to.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Imagine if the Sharks had to pay 7 times the amount of taxes as 24 other teams in the league combined   (example, every team pays $50,000) $50,000 x 24 = $1,200,000 x 7 = $8,400,000.

So the Sharks have to pay $8.4 million, while 24 other teams pay $50,000.

Would you say that was unfair?

Of course.

Is that reality for the Sharks?   no.

In fact the Sharks are part of the 24 teams that pay the massively reduced taxes.

You know who pays the crazy taxes?   Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, and Vancouver

Is that a conspiracy?  No.

Do we complain about it?  Not usually.

Adding to RC's point about Leafs fans haveing a large base, yet the same situation... same goes for the Blues, hell the Blues have made the playoffs for something like 25 years straight, yet they haven't made it past the semi-finals in that time.

You complain about lack of national exposure with the Sharks... yet I see the Sharks on HNIC more often than any other U.S. team.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

You complain about lack of national exposure with the Sharks... yet I see the Sharks on HNIC more often than any other U.S. team.

Up until this season, I'd have to say that is true.  It'd seem like the Sharks would be playing either the Flames or Oilers or Canucks once or twice a month.   Sometimes, two weeks in a row if they just happened to do a Northeast Divison roadswing.  The only other team I can think that got more western airtime is Colorado, and mainly because they're a division rival.

This year, for the first time in a really really long time, Anaheim is on HNIC.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

you guys are basing your judgements solely on the CANADIAN media whereas Im looking at the combined media outlets of canada AND the US.

Of course everyone knows the NHL's popularity is far greater in canada then it is in the US. I dont get any network feeds from canada where I live but from what I understand, the Canadian media obviously gives every team equal media time and coverage, as does the American media with baseball and football.

however if one was to look at purely the AMERICAN side of the media coverage the NHL gets, the Sharks are by far and away the most disrespected franchise. yes, even more disrespected then the preds, bluejackets, and even the small market canadian teams. and Im not just talking about this past bad season and the beginning of this season. this goes back to when the team was making the playoffs and knocking off number one seeds such as detroit and st louis. when those seasons were taking place how many so called "neutral fans" did you see saying "yeah, go sharks!" ? exactly. very few if any. however when a sharks division rival that just happened to be owned by disney (who owns and operates espn as most of you are aware of) has playoff sucess, I come on this board and I see every other poster typing things like "Go Ducks!" "Yeah, quack quack!" and garbage like that. It made me absolutely sick. There was absolutely NO REASON for it whatsoever! the whole "the world loves an underdog" thing just never seems to apply to the sharks.

when the sharks are making life miserable for one of the "elite" teams in the west, they are dismissed as a pest looking to deny the networks of thier coveted big detroit-colorado, dallas-detriot, st louis-detroit, dallas-colorado matchup that they want so bad

but when the ducks make life miserable for one of those four teams, its all a magical disneyland story about an underdog fighting the odds

another example Id like to throw out there. remember when owen nolan leveled grant marshall with that vicious right hand a few years ago? He got suspended eleven games for that when a lot of players recieved less harsh consequences for greater infractions. Oh and I guarantee you this, if Nolan does the same exact thing to someone right now while hes playing for the leafs, I dont doubt he would be suspended. However I guarantee you that he doesnt get more then five games.

I don't care what you say, but Unfortunatly my team the NJ Devils are the most disrespected my the US media.

They've won 3 cups in 9 years, and barely get anymetion in thier own market more less the nationaly. I don't know if it's the way Lou Lamorillo does things or what but the media and the NHL, disrespects them at all cost.

however if one was to look at purely the AMERICAN side of the media coverage the NHL gets, the Sharks are by far and away the most disrespected franchise.

Okay, I can't comment on that because I don't know how it's covered in the U.S.

Because you seem fairly interested on the matter, I'll let you know how things went on here in Canada....  those playoff runs the Sharks went on in '94, and in '95 were fairly big deals, I remember being very excited when they smoked the Red Wings (although my team ended up facing the Sharks, and nearly losing as well -> game 6, OT, why did he do the extra pass on the 2-on-none?!?!), I was a little pissed in 1995 because I was cheering for the Flames (Game 7, 3OT), but the whole country was behind the Sharks in the second round of '95.

Actually during the Sharks/Leafs series, when games were in Toronto, I remember HNIC cutting to shots of the Cow Palace and the place being packed with Sharks fans watching the game on the scoreboard, doing the chomp thing with the hands.

I do see quite a few Sharks fans walking around here, including my brother, who is a huge Sharks fan, has been since their first season, I have a cousin in Calgary who's a big Sharks fan as well, and was at the '95 Game 7, cheering madly after the game ended.

Up until this season, the Sharks were routinely picked as a favourite in the Western Conference, in many NHL preview shows, magazines, articles.  Heck, I picked them to make it to the finals 3 seasons in a row.

I used to love seeing the Sharks on TV because you got to see Owen Nolan, and Mike Ricci playing together, I love those guys!  Throw in Vinny Damphousse, Temmu Selanne, Bryan Marchment, and good ole Todd Gill.   It gave me a reason to not watch the 24th season of Saturday Night Live  :)

In conclusion, I cannot comment on the U.S. side of view, but up here the Sharks are a-okay!  I would even go as far as regarding them as the 7th Canadian team in terms of coverage at times.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived