Nhl point system

CrookedThumb

I think you missed CC's sarcasm there, Joker. :D

But, "one fluke goal away from being a sweep"? The series went seven games. There was no 3-0 lead. *scratches head*

I alright did miss the sarcasm,

But if that crazy goal doesn't happen in game 3, the Devils win. The have a 3-0 lead in the series. Who knows if how the ducks come back in game 4.

If wouldn't have been a sweep, it would have gone 5 max with NJ winning at home.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe there is a conspiracy against the Sharks.  I could have said the same thing about the Blues regarding the Brendan Shanahan deal and the punishment the Blues took again when they tried to "reclaim" Scott Stevens later on.  The Note didn't get to botch their first round draft picks because most of them were forfeited.  They also got hosed during the "arbitration" when Judge Houston basically threw the case to the Devils with no just reason whatsoever.

HOWEVER . . . .

Although I don't believe in conspiracies, what I do believe is much, much worse.  I believe that the NHL is disorganized when it comes to formulating and executing policies, does a poor job of maintaining any semblence of quality control and has been extremely haphazard in the oversight of its officiating.  It would be convenient if the NHL's PR concerns were solely situated in the areas of merchandise marketing and clever commercials (the only areas that made Gary Bettman an attractive candidate for commissioner), however PR is also generated (and usually only in a negative vein) when problems and controversy creep up and if there is no logical and/or systematic way of responding quickly and effectively to these problems then the league looks rudderless - not necessarily crooked, but terribly Enronesque.

Amen Yhollander!  You hit it right on the head.  If there was someone who actually set policies the right way, not for the person's best interest, the NHL would be better off.  A real commish would defend the refs call for Game 6 of the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals.  Instead, with Buffalo's coach calling him out, Bettman walks away, and then comes out 20 minutes later on the "ruling."

Poor management, will ruin this league.  Oh wait they will come September.  If the league and the players know back in 2000 that there would be a lockout or strike.  If you can stop a collapse, you do it.  You don't wait until a week before the lockout is to start.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

You know when it gets down too it everyone can say their team gets screwed at one time or another, and when they are not very good it seems to happen more often, but in the end their is no such thing as a league wnating a team to fail (MLB and the Expos is an excpetion but thats a whole nother story).

However, to think the NHL wants to the Sharks to fial is asanine, the NHL needs a market as large as San Francisco to be good to help hockey grow.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Exactly Tank, the team (when the owners are commited to winning) has made San Jose a hockey town.  Going down Santa Clara Street (the street where the Shark Tank is located on) on game day, all resturants are in teal, and the teal on people is all over the place.  Even Owen Nolan's resturant is located on the main street.  I mean when the city officially changes its name to Teal Town, you know the team is making a presence.  Although, the one thing that might eventually hurt them is that they are in San Jose and not San Francisco.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Incidentally, I wish that the Sharks problem was really a curse that could only be lifted by returning to their original uniforms - the best looking uniform of the post-merger era.  I am wearing my teal 1991 Sharks jersey as we speak (my version of a Halloween costume and the only NHL jersey I will ever wear that doesn't have a Bluenote on it!).

Archived