2006-2007 European football kits

kc51design

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celtic's away kits are based on the USA design. white shirt with green/gold stripes down the left side. not able to get a clean view of it. Only knew what the deign was because Riordan re-signed with the club this week.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

OK, I'm definitely going to come off as a dumb, provincial American here, so hopefully you'll bear with me and not throw rotten tomatoes or worse at me, but...

What is "Fly Emirates" on the Arsenal and Paris Saint-Germaine jersies? I mean, I'm not so stupid that I don't know that's where advertising goes on European football (soccer, football? I'm so conflicted) jersies, but... what exactly does that mean?

It sounds like someone is planning to launch the United Arab Emirates in to space.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

OK, I'm definitely going to come off as a dumb, provincial American here, so hopefully you'll bear with me and not throw rotten tomatoes or worse at me, but...

What is "Fly Emirates" on the Arsenal and Paris Saint-Germaine jersies? I mean, I'm not so stupid that I don't know that's where advertising goes on European football (soccer, football? I'm so conflicted) jersies, but... what exactly does that mean?

It sounds like someone is planning to launch the United Arab Emirates in to space.

Emirates is the national airline of the UAE. The sponsors logo is an instruction to fly emirates!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It's the slogan of Emirates Airlines, who sponsor both clubs. They do have a logo that's an Arabic symbol, which most fans would prefer to see on the jerseys rather than their slogan, but it's ultimately the company's call, I suppose.

Fly Emirates is a slogan for Emirates airlines. That slogan appears on many sporting clubs and events. Yes, they do fly to and from the US.

http://www.emirates.com/

I saw, I came, I left.

Aaah, well, thank you all for answering so quickly. I guess I haven't heard of them, becuase they only fly to like 4 cities in the US, and the one I live in is not nearly as big as those four. I believe the only other country where flights go in to and out of the Buffalo Niagara INTERNATIONAL Airport from is Canada. :-P

So... I have a follow up question...

Do football (soccer) fans ever get ticked off because they don't like the sponsor of their team? Do they ever switch teams because they don't like the sponsor?

Like, if all of a sudden Volkswagen is sponsoring your team, and you're like "those cars suck, I bought a VW and it broke after 2 weeks" do you get mad? Do you pick the team sponsored by someone you DO like?

Or are you pretty much able to ignore that giant honkin' sponsor logo? I gotta tell ya, every time I watched Arsenal play, I'd be thinking "man, that emirates thing drives me batty."

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

sabreguy,

i'm a big arsenal supporter, and i can probably speak for every arsenal supporter and say that nothing will keep us from supporting our team. now that doesnt mean that we will, in the future, not like the sponsor the team has chosen. but we will not change our allegences just because of the company on our shirt. remember, football fans have dealt with kit sponsorship because of the necessary revenue, and the fact that unlike US sports, football has not changed the rules of their game to incorporate other revenue (ie: the TV time out).

sabreguy,

i'm a big arsenal supporter, and i can probably speak for every arsenal supporter and say that nothing will keep us from supporting our team. now that doesnt mean that we will, in the future, not like the sponsor the team has chosen. but we will not change our allegences just because of the company on our shirt. remember, football fans have dealt with kit sponsorship because of the necessary revenue, and the fact that unlike US sports, football has not changed the rules of their game to incorporate other revenue (ie: the TV time out).

Fair enough. Makes sense. But even the casual fan? Or is there no such thing? I mean, for example, I'm a Cleveland Indians fan in MLB Baseball. Now, I HATE their logo. But no amount of semi-racist iconography is going to make me NOT love my team. I can wish it was different, but I'm not going to change teams.

But, for NBA basketball, I'm KINDA a Cleveland Cavs fan. But, when they had the ugly orange/blue/black thing going on, I couldn't watch. I kept trying to find other non-ugly teams to support. Like Boston or Miami or something. (I guess this is tempered by the fact that I don't have a team in my home city.)

I don't know, I guess what bugged me was that, though I know very little about English Premier League football, I always WANTED to root for Arsenal, but when I saw that, I was a little turned off.

Maybe that doesn't make sense. I definitely get your point though, about hardcore fans not careing if they they were sponsored by Virgin or Emirates airline or George W. Bush himself.

indians4.png

-Terry Pluto

Do football (soccer) fans ever get ticked off because they don't like the sponsor of their team? Do they ever switch teams because they don't like the sponsor?

Like, if all of a sudden Volkswagen is sponsoring your team, and you're like "those cars suck, I bought a VW and it broke after 2 weeks" do you get mad? Do you pick the team sponsored by someone you DO like?

I'm sure that there are some people out there for whom the sponsor's logo plays a part in whether or not they support a certain team, but I think for most, as theLOFTstudio said, it's pretty much a necessary evil and one that ardent supporters can stomach.

It would take something pretty extreme in terms of a sponsor logo to get me to abandon my allegiance to Arsenal. And knowing the way the press works in England, supporters would likely get wind of any rumoured deal and voice any displeasure with it well before the papers were signed.

But there's also the knowledge that, most times, the kit sponsor will change every four or five years, so if one doesn't like it, one just has to wait a while, and maybe save some money by not buying as much merchandise. :)

Hi SabreGuy!

In fact there are two clubs in Spanish Primera Division that do not have sponsor logo on the shirts. I don't know exactly how was it in the past with Athletic Bilbao but I'm definetely sure that FC Barcelona has never ever had anything on their chests. Sometimes the idea of getting some extra money appears in the club but it's strongly opposed by the fans. The deal is that fans have real power in few Spanish clubs (Real Madrid is among them as well) which means that every fan paying regular fees has right to vote for the chairman.

So far they stay with tradition and even Nike pays extra for being the only commercial symbol seen on the jerseys.

Archived