2006-2007 European football kits

kc51design

juve11ai.jpg

Agreed,The Old Lady will still look good slumming in Serie C....Wonder if sponsors have bailout clause for relegation?

Most of the big sponsors (Nike, adidas, Puma) have bailout clauses if a side drops a division. It'd be intersting to see if Nike abandons a big team like Juventus though. Seeing as they wouldn't be likely cosidered to ever be relegasted they may not have the clause in their contract. And I can't see adidas abandoning Milan if they get dumped to Serie B. But of course I doubt that this will happen anyways. The courts are just as crooked as the teams and money still speaks loudly there too. I'd be extremely surprised if anything happens other than hefty fines by all the teams involved.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, so this is totally off topic (not the first time I have asked an off-topic question in the history if this thread) but, does anyone know why they are called "kits?"  Not "uniforms" or "clothes" or "jersies."  Kits.

It has been driving me nuts.  I really hate the word "kit," and so I hope there's some logical reason for using it.  I mean, I can understand "first aid kit" and "My First Magic Kit" and even "Model Airplane Kit," but "Football Kit?"  I don't get it.

I'm not Brit, but I like British frases. Kit is not just a shirt (also proper British, not jersey) it's the complete uniform. Why kit, probably as every other kit, it's made up of more then one part. Aussies call it Guernsey.

Another off topic stattement. This topic is titled 2006-2007, should we open a new topic or rename this topic into 2007-2008?

Just FYI they are called shirtsd over here because originally they were proper shirts. Look at original pictures of soccer games, and the buttons go all the way down even, with long sleeves. The 'kit' does indeed refer to the whole thing, not just the shirt. And really as mentioned that comes from the idea of calling the complete lot of equipment for any sport 'kit'.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Guernsey is a name for the long sleeved or sleeveless Aussie Rules 'top', also called footy jumpers...but sometimes reffered to as getting a cap or game as i nthe phrase 'i got a guernsey' which refers to getting a game and that phrase is used in a few other sports to

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Sporting Lisbon switched to Puma...

prd_maxzoom_732572-01.jpg

VfB Stuttgart are looking classy and piping-less once again

prd_maxzoom_732364-01.jpg

found those both on Kitbag.

and if the white/green quartered are the Bremen away, what the hell's the Bremen home? No jerseys are up for this year on their shop, can't find anything else...gah. they looked so much better a few years ago when they won the League. should've gotten one of those shirts when I had the chance...

harperdc.gif

juve11ai.jpg

Agreed,The Old Lady will still look good slumming in Serie C....Wonder if sponsors have bailout clause for relegation?

Most of the big sponsors (Nike, adidas, Puma) have bailout clauses if a side drops a division. It'd be intersting to see if Nike abandons a big team like Juventus though. Seeing as they wouldn't be likely cosidered to ever be relegasted they may not have the clause in their contract. And I can't see adidas abandoning Milan if they get dumped to Serie B. But of course I doubt that this will happen anyways. The courts are just as crooked as the teams and money still speaks loudly there too. I'd be extremely surprised if anything happens other than hefty fines by all the teams involved.

the problem with this is that it hurts the fans the most. During the blacksox scandel did the whitesox get demoted? No and Juventus and the other teams shoudn't be demoted. The people involved with the scandel should be gotten rid of and thats all

VfB Stuttgart are looking classy and piping-less once again

prd_maxzoom_732364-01.jpg

The shirt still has a red stripe coming over the back. i prefer last year's shirts to this year's Puma design, but it does look good either way

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

and if the white/green quartered are the Bremen away, what the hell's the Bremen home? No jerseys are up for this year on their shop, can't find anything else...gah. they looked so much better a few years ago when they won the League. should've gotten one of those shirts when I had the chance...

I thought they were the same green/orange as last year, but with a new sponsor? I could have sworn I've seen those earlier in the thread.

Guernsey is a name for the long sleeved or sleeveless Aussie Rules 'top', also called footy jumpers...but sometimes reffered to as getting a cap or game as i nthe phrase 'i got a guernsey' which refers to getting a game and that phrase is used in a few other sports to

Jersey comes from the idea that plenty of sports used more like Jumpers for tops. I assume guernsey is a slang word for a tank top or at least was a slang word in the past, over in Australia.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Jersey comes from the idea that plenty of sports used more like Jumpers for tops. I assume guernsey is a slang word for a tank top or at least was a slang word in the past, over in Australia.

No guernsey is completely interchangable with jersey in Australia. It generally refers to sleeved garments, its just that AFL teams ditched the sleeves at some stage but kept calling them guernseys.

Guernsey is probably a bit more outdated now, and jersey is used far more frequently.

liverpool-1.png

No guernsey is completely interchangable with jersey in Australia. It generally refers to sleeved garments, its just that AFL teams ditched the sleeves at some stage but kept calling them guernseys.

Guernsey is probably a bit more outdated now, and jersey is used far more frequently.

OK, so... is there any connection to cows? Because both Jersey and Guernsey are breeds of cow.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

the problem with this is that it hurts the fans the most. During the blacksox scandel did the whitesox get demoted? No and Juventus and the other teams shoudn't be demoted. The people involved with the scandel should be gotten rid of and thats all

teams being demoted isn't as big a deal as it would be in the United States. Two teams were relegated weeks, if not days before the Italian top league Serie A started last year for some major infractions (can't remember them right now, don't think they were match fixing though). Olympique Marseille were demoted the year after they won the Champion's League and French league after financial irregularities and match fixing. It's a harsh penalty.

Besides, most of the perpetrators have already fled - Juventus' board resigned en masse days after the allegations came out. Others may be jailed. I don't think Berlesconi (AC Milan's president and formerly president of Italy) has immunity anymore, so he should be fair game too should Milan be found guilty.

----------

[edit] for the Gooners out there, if you go try and pre-order a new '06/07 jersey, take a look at the player numbers. In this way you will find out that Fabregas will wear #4, Toure will wear #5, and Rosicky will wear #7 this season. I like all the changes.

harperdc.gif

OK, so... is there any connection to cows? Because both Jersey and Guernsey are breeds of cow.

Guernsey and Jersey are also islands off England

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

[edit] for the Gooners out there, if you go try and pre-order a new '06/07 jersey, take a look at the player numbers. In this way you will find out that Fabregas will wear #4, Toure will wear #5, and Rosicky will wear #7 this season. I like all the changes.

Forgive the non-Arsenal fan but who had those numbers before?

4 was Vieira of course, who was #5 and #7?

BIG BIG step up into the #4 shirt for Cesc!

Liverpool playing Wrexham on Saturday in their first pre-season game so unless its shirts vs skins we'll finally see one of the new kits in action surely?

Can't wait to see how many disappointed people bought one of those fakes off ebay! :D

liverpool-1.png

smart move not having rosisky sport #10... i assume that will be off limits for at least a couple of seasons. rosisky is superb and has been catching wenger's eye since they played dortmund in the CL back a few years, but he's not mr. bergkamp.

as for cesc... glad to see him get the new number... not glad that i bought a redcurrant with #15... but then again, the redcurrant jersey is timeless. i personally would have liked to seen cesc grab #5 and toure #4, but thats personal preference.

sorta off topic.. but does anyone know if they are broadcasting the dutch master's testimonial in the US? i'm hoping for at least PPV. just cant wait to see the boys run out onto the Ashburton Grove pitch.

Archived