2006-2007 European football kits

kc51design

You're right - this seems to be a new trend.

PSG did it as well on their change shirt this year:

REP_PSG_AWAY_DETAIL_PE4.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but is that a BABY CARRIAGE with a fleur-de-lis coming out of it under the Eiffel tower?

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it is.

It comes from the blazon of the city of Saint-Germain-en-Laye (a suburb of Paris known as the home of kings). PSG was formed when Paris FC and Stade Saint-Germain merged in 1970. The crest has elements of both cities.

lg.gif

A blazon or a logo ?

? Many old documents referring to the city of Saint-Germain-en-Laye are stamped with the 3-fleur-de-lis royal seal bearing the arms of France. This "signature" identifies Saint-Germain as a royal city, first of all because it was part of the royal domain, and secondly, because it served as a residence for the royal family.

? As early as the period of the "Restoration" of the Bourbons, the city had wanted to use the seal bearing the arms of France (and of Navarre), arguing that it was justified in doing so because of Saint-Germain-en-Laye's past and its status as a royal city. Unfortunately, the city was unable to substantiate its claim at the time.

On August 11, 1816, the Ministry of Justice proposed a blazon. Thanks to a letter patent dated August 17, 1820, King Louis XVIII granted the city a blazon bearing a cradle and the date September 5, 1638, in honour of the birth date of his grandfather, Louis XIV.

? You can find the different elements of this blazon, along with an oak leaf symbolizing the forest, on the present-day Saint-Germain-en-Laye logo. It was created in 2002 and continues to identify the city's many undertakings.

http://www.ville-st-germain-en-laye.fr/en/cto/as/ci.html#bl

So you have the Tour Eiffel representing Paris, and the creche and fleur-de-lis representing Saint Germain.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the first Serie A game of the season, Roma vs. Livorno. I know that Roma got new kits, but I noticed they didn't have a sponsor. Does anyone know if they are going to be getting a sponsor soon or go sponsorless? This is a very long thread and I didn't read throught the whole thing, so sorry if this has already been posted.

Sorry to drag this up from the third page. I bet everyone thought it was dead and gone. ^_^

Anyway, came across this today: ESPN Soccernet. Apparently Portsmouth was penalized for changing their kit design a year earlier than they told the FA they would, so they have to stick with their current one for three years or else they'll have to pay £7,500.

Sorry to drag this up from the third page. I bet everyone thought it was dead and gone. ^_^

Anyway, came across this today: ESPN Soccernet. Apparently Portsmouth was penalized for changing their kit design a year earlier than they told the FA they would, so they have to stick with their current one for three years or else they'll have to pay £7,500.

I suppose they can easily afford such penalty.

I know it's not a sponsorship deal, and I know that the money's for a good cause, but that just looks... wrong.

Au contraire.

If fans of international soccer are so gung-ho about the practice of festooning club sides' kits with advertising, as opposed to team names, why should Barca be any different? After all, what's good for one club is good for all.

Further, rather than shilling themselves out as corporate whores by allowing their jerseys - and by extension, their fans who purchase and wear replicas of said jerseys - to be used as billboards by multinational for-profit conglomerates, Barca has refreshingly chosen to do some "pro bono" work on behalf of a charitable humanitarian aid organization.

Frankly, in my opinion, such a logo/message is the only one that should displace a sports team's name/logo - or player's number - from central prominence on a jersey in any sport... soccer included.

looks like arsenal's change strip has a different sponsor and similar CL name/numbers to the red/white kit. they simply have Dubai in the "fly emirates" font.

_42084666_rvp_getty.jpg

_42084684_gilberto_getty.jpg

... I think the reason is the their opponent: Hamburger SV (mmm.... hamburger) is also sponsored by Emirate Airlines and I guess the airline figured they can expand the advertisement possibilities (or perhpas not overexpose the "Fly Emirates" slogan) by having Arsenal promoting Dubai.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/se...0%7c0&p=2&tag=3

I saw, I came, I left.

Actually, I can answer that.

It was reported a while back that Champions League regulations prohibit a company from sponsoring both teams in a match. There was a rumor (baseless, as it turns out) that one of the teams would go without a sponsor for these matches.

In the other CL matches (that is to say, the ones where their opponents are not sponsored by Air Emirates), they wear the regular sponsor.

I'm presuming that for the return leg at Ashburton Grove, Arsenal will wear the "Fly Emirates" sponsor and Hamburger SV will wear "Dubai".

thanks gothamite.

good to see rosicky lash on to one, eh? i have the feeling that once wenger finds his 11, or more like once the first team finds itself they will get going. whether they will be able to get to the top of the table, at this point, its tough to tell.

did you end up getting the primary kit with CL letters yet? thanks for telling me about subside earlier in the year... they were great, and my fabregas redcurrant with CL lettering and patch came out sublime, a nice brother to my '00 Henry primary that i picked up at the liverpool/arsenal match at highbury that year.

If fans of international soccer are so gung-ho about the practice of festooning club sides' kits with advertising, as opposed to team names, why should Barca be any different? After all, what's good for one club is good for all.

nice assumption. I'm all for that deal, but at the same time I appreciate that Barca have kept themselves sponsor free...they have their reasons for staying sponsor-free, and I generally don't have problems with sponsorships (except in some leagues, where the kits have twelve different sponsor patches) but it is kind of sad to see even the last standout, Barca, have something on their chest. That it's for a good cause and isn't, oh, Sony or something equally enormous is a nice buffer. at least it isn't like in 1997, when Ferrari's F1 team switched from their traditional "rossa corsa" to a lighter, oranger red when Marlboro upped their sponsorship of the team...

It was reported a while back that Champions League regulations prohibit a company from sponsoring both teams in a match.

pictures of Man U - Benfica last year? oh, wait, nevermind, that was the year *after* Benfica was sponsored by Vodafone. Damn, I wanted to see other proof of this rule! lol, imagine if Hamburg, Arsenal and PSG had been drawn together...

harperdc.gif

I'm all for that deal, but at the same time I appreciate that Barca have kept themselves sponsor free...they have their reasons for staying sponsor-free, and I generally don't have problems with sponsorships (except in some leagues, where the kits have twelve different sponsor patches) but it is kind of sad to see even the last standout, Barca, have something on their chest.

They have wanted to do it for a few years now and were holding out for a world record deal that never came, so they went for the UNICEF angle instead.

liverpool-1.png

Yes, 2004, Barca was supposed to be sponsored by the Bejing 2008 Olympics, just to piss off Real Madrid (Madrid were bidding for the 2012 Summer Games) but the deal fell through due to heavy opposition from the supporters.

image,Shane-spc-Williams,white,black.png

Archived