Bad day at the office

brinkeguthrie

(and somewhere in Boston, Wakefield is glad it's not him again.)

Rangers' R.A. Dickey Allows 6 Homers

-

Thursday, April 6, 2006

(04-06) 18:36 PDT Arlington, Texas (AP) --

Texas knuckleballer R.A. Dickey allowed six home runs to Detroit on Thursday night, tying the post-1900 major league record.

Five of the homers were solo shots. The only pitcher to give up more homers was Charlie Sweeney of the St. Louis Maroons, who allowed seven at the Detroit Wolverines on June 12, 1886.

Brandon Inge started the power show on the game's second pitch, and Magglio Ordonez hit another in the first inning.

Chris Shelton homered leading off the second and went deep again in the fourth. Craig Monroe and Marcus Thames hit back-to-back homers later in the inning, and Rangers manager Buck Showalter finally pulled Dickey with Texas trailing 7-0.

It was the sixth time a big league pitcher has given up six homers, the fourth time in the AL. The previous pitcher to do it was Boston's Tim Wakefield ? another knuckleballer ? against Detroit on Aug. 8, 2004. That was the first time a major pitcher gave up six homers since the Philadelphia Athletics' George Caster in 1940.

The Rangers record for homers allowed had been five, done four times. Knuckleballer Charlie Hough and Kenny Rogers, who watched from the Detroit dugout, were among those Dickey replaced in the team's record book.

Dickey gave up eight hits, only two of which weren't homers. He was charged with all seven runs.

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file.../s183635D48.DTL

Dickey gave up eight hits, only two of which weren't homers.

That, my friends, is really hard to do.

R Dickey (L, 0-1) 3.1 8 7 7 1 1 6 61-42 18.90

Hey, at least he was extremely efficient. Gave up 7 runs, 6 homers, a walk and a strikeout and still got 10 outs with 60 pitches.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Archived