NHL standings

Here's how they should do it. Each game a total of 3 points is awarded.

3- For a Regulation Win

2- Overtime/Shootout win

1- Overtime/Shootout Loss

0- For a Regulation Loss.

It gives teams incentive to go for the regulation win has a reg. wins recieves more points than an overtime win. Makes for an exciting finish to regulation, especially late in the season where teams would need the points.

This is what I would go with.

The best idea is simply the one that made sense for so many years...

All wins - 2 pts

All losses - 0 pts

All ties - 1 pt

If a game remains tied after three 20 minute periods, play 5 minutes of 5-5 OT sudden death hockey.

I hate how they changed the game and made it 4-4 in OT, and now they've changed it even more with the shoout out so that you can lose the game when your not even playing real hockey.

And ever since the 1 pt just for making it to OT idea was implemented I've thought it sucked. Why are some games worth 3 pts and the others are worth just 2? That's dumb.

As for it being boring, whatever. I think defense can be great, and I think ties can be great. If teams wanna settle for 1 pt, fine, let them. But the new rules on the ice will automatically make a difference in how boring the games are.

Maybe it's just me, but I just think OT should be a short extension of regulation time to try and decide a winner. It shouldn't differ from the rest of the game.

HOW ABOUT WE ALL SHUT UP AND JUST COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW BAD OUR TEAMS ARE THAT THEY CAN'T TAKE ADVANTAGE OF NEW RULES???

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

[Mod edit-- Nor that.]

Except for Dallas. :D

well if the NHL went the NBA and MLB way to just W-L this years playoff race(s) would look like this-

WESTERN CONFERENCE---GP-- W-L --GB

1. x-Detroit---78--- 55-23 --- -

2. x-Dallas---79--- 52-27 --- 3.5

3. x-Calgary---79--- 45-34 --- 10.5

4. Nashville---79--- 46-33 --- 9.5

5. Colorado---79--- 43-36 --- 12.5

6. Anaheim---79--- 42-37 --- 13.5

7. San Jose---78--- 41-37 --- 14

8. Vancouver---79--- 41-38 --- 14.5

-----

9. Los Angeles---79--- 40-39 --- 15.5

10. Edmonton---80--- 39-41 --- 17

11. Minnesota---80--- 38-42 --- 18

EASTERN CONFERENCE---GP-- W-L --GB

1. x-Ottawa---79--- 51-28 --- -

2. x-Carolina---79--- 51-28 --- -

3. x-NY Rangers---79--- 44-35 --- 7

4. Buffalo---79--- 49-30 --- 2

5. Philadelphia---78--- 43-35 --- 7.5

6. New Jersey---79--- 43-36 --- 8

7. Tampa Bay---79--- 42-37 --- 9

8. Montreal---79--- 41-38 --- 10

-----

9. Atlanta---78--- 39-39 --- 11.5

10. Toronto---78--- 38-40 --- 12.5

11. NY Islanders---78--- 35-43 --- 15.5

12. Florida---79--- 35-44 --- 16

since i'm a Canucks fan right now this would look best but that's being bias, i'm sure Leafland would be more excited with this way too but its not this way. also with the W-L format, it would make the playoff races in both conferences even more exciting.

8prlQWA.png

I like the points system. It's still leaving the Canadian feel, like the CFL. I could really care less how many point is awarded for a win-loss-tie-regulation tie-overtime loss as long as wins are worth more that ties, etc and you get nothing for a loss.

Just keep it so when you add up the number of wins, losses and overtime losses they equal the number of games played. Back when they had regulation ties the numbers didn't add up and it looked stupid.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Of course W-L would lead to the most exciting races, but apparently a decisive conclusion is not the Canadian way of doing things!

I mean, I just don't get why some of you are offering these contrived systems of "okay, you can get up to five points per period depending on your lead, how many penalties you got, and overall skating technique as rated by a panel of judges, and then one extra point for overtime, and two for a shootout, unless the game is in March, in which case all point values are doubled..." and so on.

I suggest:

1) 10-minute overtime

2) Shootout

3) The winning team is credited with a win. The losing team is credited with a loss.

An extra five minutes reduces the chance of a shootout while still making sure that the game ends with a winner and a loser.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My ideal situation would be that you get a point for a shootout loss, but not an overtime loss.

To me, losing in overtime is losing in an actual hockey game. In my mind, shootouts are a lot less hockey and a lot more of a seperate skills competition. I think they're exciting to watch, but I don't think a team should play as good as another team for 65 minutes, only to come away with nothing because an individual player got lucky on a forced breakaway.

I really don't like this now, the point of having the shootout (which I hate) was so that every game has a winner.

The reason for the OT loss point was so that teams would be encoraged to go for the win in OT and not play dump & chase (minus the chase).

No way should there be 3 points for a win, 2 points etc. Next thing you know we will have a BCS system for NHL playoffs.

The problem isn't ties, the NFL has ties, the problem is 5 minuts of OT is not enough most of the time for teams to go for the win.

If I had my way, I would have either 20 minutes of 5 on 5 OT, or 10 minutes of 4 on 4 overtime. That way ties would be less frequent. Still give out 1 point for a tie and 2 points for a win and nothing for a loss.

CanadiensBanners.jpg

banners-1-1.jpg

I really don't like this now, the point of having the shootout (which I hate) was so that every game has a winner.

The reason for the OT loss point was so that teams would be encoraged to go for the win in OT and not play dump & chase (minus the chase).

No way should there be 3 points for a win, 2 points etc. Next thing you know we will have a BCS system for NHL playoffs.

The problem isn't ties, the NFL has ties, the problem is 5 minuts of OT is not enough most of the time for teams to go for the win.

If I had my way, I would have either 20 minutes of 5 on 5 OT, or 10 minutes of 4 on 4 overtime. That way ties would be less frequent. Still give out 1 point for a tie and 2 points for a win and nothing for a loss.

I think the main problem with having another full OT period is it would wreak havoc on double-header time slots. (Particularly HNIC which, aside from the playoffs, has not had an early contest continue past the start of the late contest for the past five years.)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

In the East, Tampa & Montreal would have been flipped in the seedings if it was just W-L.

Only if that were the way things panned out, I feel confident that the Bolts can beat both Ottawa of Carolina, but I'd feel a bit more confident if we were playing the 'Canes

Archived