ESPN Radio about the Chargers' Throwbacks

willieg21

...I have a suggestion. The helmets should stay the same. Except that the bolt should be yellow with powder blue trim. But white works on a dark helmet

Home = Jersey: Navy blue, with powder blue and yellow accents (mainly yellow on the shoulder bolts).

Pants: White, yellow bolts.

Away = Jersey: White, navy blue numbers with powder blue outline and yellow bolts on the shoulders.

Pants: Navy, yellow bolts.

Alts = Jersey: Powder blue, white numbers and navy outlines, yellow bolts on the shoulders.

Pants: White, yellow bolts.

I would make a concept, or try to...but I'm horrible when it comes to MS Paint and other programs like Adobe.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best uniform ever... maybe a stretch.

Pretty goddam cool and better than power blue? Absolutely. Slap a custom font on those jerseys, maybe do something with the yellow facemask (yellow just makes it look dated) and you've got a winner.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The problem with the Chargers uniform as I see it is that everyone is trying to put a band-aid on it, but there is just something un-inspiring about all of the Charger uniforms past and present. To me, Navy Blue is a homerun on almost any jersey, but somehow the Chargers use of it is boring and generic. The powder blue looks good on principle, but as a full time option, I think it would get old real quick once the initial excitement wears off.

The fundamental issue is that whenever you use a lightning bolt, you are going to come off as cartoon-y. The current navy uni's seem as serious as you can get with a lightning bolt, while the retro powder blue uniforms seem to go the other way and be completely campy in a good way.

I have always wanted to mock up a better Charger uniform since I was a kid. What I think the solution is is you need to take the retro idea and make the uniform modern. Use the Powder Blue and Yellow colors, but work in the Navy as a strong third color. Lightning bolts by nature is an idea that should keep current (forgive me for the pun :) ). I would use the UNC football uniforms as a template of how to use powder blue effectively. If UNC was even slightly decent at football, I think there uniforms would bee flying off the shelves. But I think the reliance on showing lightning bolts all over the place looks obvious and lame. I would love to see some modern lines like the Falcons use on the pants with maybe having a lightning bolt pattern being involved in the wide part but not completely going down the entire leg. I think Nike does a good job of using pinstripes and modern lines (although they go over board with it like with Miami), but in a case like Virginia Tech, I think that they use a good idea of using organic shapes the vary from thin stripes to thick.

I would use the powder blue or white as the helmet color. I think Navy blue is a great facemask color (since everyone will have grey masks at this rate). Keep the current bolt shape, but use yellow as the lightning bolt instead of white. If you are going to use a bolt of lightning it should always be yellow. Take out the obvious bolt around the sleeves or at least try something different that would work in context with the new material and cut jerseys that teams have been using. The base color of the home jersey should be powder blue. The background wherever you show a bolt should be navy. Move away from the big blocky numbers and use a classic, sleek font that shows some motion for the jersey to keep with the idea of movement and energy. Maybe the yellow you use is the really electric yellow they use for the Golden State Warriors. Keep the movement and energy feeling throughout in all of your choices, right down to the logo.

Ok... I am done rambling. Not sure if any of that makes any sense to anyone but me. I wish I was 10 year younger, I would comp it up. But then I did that with the Seahawks and they stole it from me, so I don't want to go down that road again.

Any comments? AM I crazy?

Good point. At this time, maybe we do need to explore a completely different look for the Bolts. My guess is that we would come back to the powder blues as the strongest but it still needs to be explored.

I had an idea a while back of a plain navy helmet that had electronic charges in the shell so that when hit, lightning charges display over the entire surface of the helmet. Too futuristic? Maybe. But I believe it could be done and may not look that bad. At the very least would be completely unique and show realistic lightning rather than the cartoon version.

Okay, with inspiration from Down Under Husker, I reworked my original concept. Not necessarily better, just another idea. This is time it's more using the current set as the base but pulling back in powder blue and the yellow bolt.

chargers2.gif

I'm also working on adjusting a fantasy team design I did a couple of years ago that would be an interesting modern option for the Chargers.

Whenever I see powder blue, yellow and navy, I think Denver Nuggets and, to a lesser extent, Memphis Grizzlies. I also think that if power blue is the "it" color right now, it very soon won't be and the Chargers will be in a similar predicament in just a few short years.

If I were in charge, I'd just keep them the way they are. They are sort of bland, but the team certainly runs the risk of looking like the Bengals or Bills.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Oh, you can't do powder blue jerseys with navy blue pants. Looks like they dressed in the dark.

*cough cough*

img6715907.jpg

That's what I thought of when I saw that concept, anyway. I agree it looks bad. Come on Titans, wear the powders with white pants!

Oh, you can't do powder blue jerseys with navy blue pants. Looks like they dressed in the dark.

*cough cough*

img6715907.jpg

That's what I thought of when I saw that concept, anyway. I agree it looks bad. Come on Titans, wear the powders with white pants!

I think the reason the Titans haven't is because they are afraid people will think they look too much like the Oilers. Personally, I HATE this look, it looks Arena-ish.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

As a huge Charger fan and season ticket holder for 10+ years, all I have to say for all your suggestions on changing the uniforms is...yuck. If they're going to go with a throwback look, they need to do it right. Meaning keep them the same. And no, the helmet and pants should not be collegiate blue. If they want to change the road uniforms from that throwback set (1961), all they need to do is add the yellow pants from the late 60s. I, along with many bolt fans want the collegiate blue if it's done right to look like the classic uniforms from the AFL years when the chargers were one of the most exciting teams.

To me, the best Charger look was the late '60s white helmet/powder blue jersey/gold pants combo. The current navy blues aren't horrible; like many, I'm just bored with there being so many dark uniform color schemes in sports. Bringing back the powder blues might start a trend toward brighter colors again. If not, at least the Chargers will make a lot of fans happy.

Augh! The topic that just will not die! Isn't this the 4,289,291,476,530th thread on this topic?

Throwbacks: good for one a year. No more.

What I don't like about them: the numbers on the helmet look horrible, but the white helmet looks blank without them. I hate all-whites. Boring, boring, boring. Navy looks better. I am one of the supporters that would love to see a Fouts-era throwback.

Folks, don't get your hopes up. It isn't going to happen anytime soon. The Chargers just relaunched their website...guess what's missing? Collegiate blue.

What is interesting is that they have added a pictorial history of their unis:

Chargers Unis

I know Pantone had mentioned earlier that the light blue being used now was not the orginal blue used, and this page really point that out. The original powder blue was much darker.

Since I know Spanos hates yellow, I could live with the '86-'87 version (with navy pants to wear with the away jerseys. It's lighter than the navy and more toned down than the royal.

All that said, my preference is to leave them alone, they're hardly boring. I still think their look is the best in the NFL.

2619.gif

See!

This first version of there uniforms is exactly the idea I was talking about. The chunky edgey font that has it's own feel (even thought it is most likely because they were trying t match an old font, but it is good either way). The blue is a tad darker and less wussy-er. I like this one the best out of all of the ones they h ave ever wore. Even though it is subtle, it just feels better and uses light and dark blues. They would just have to tweek it a bit (lit fixing the pants) and I think they would be in great shape!

It is true that a lot of navy is used in the league, but the Chargers were an early adaptor. In reviewing the timeline, fact is the current set is the best designed uniform of the bunch. When the team used collegiate blue (or whatever they called it at the time), they were all over the map design-wise.

You may not like navy, but the layout of elements in the current design is second to none.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived