ESPN Radio about the Chargers' Throwbacks

willieg21

It is true that a lot of navy is used in the league, but the Chargers were an early adaptor. In reviewing the timeline, fact is the current set is the best designed uniform of the bunch. When the team used collegiate blue (or whatever they called it at the time), they were all over the map design-wise.

You may not like navy, but the layout of elements in the current design is second to none.

And it's for that reason why I don't want them to change.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since I know Spanos hates yellow, I could live with the '86-'87 version (with navy pants to wear with the away jerseys.  It's lighter than the navy and more toned down than the royal.

This is actually my favourite Chargers uniform besides the powder blue set. If they went with those and keept the powder blues as alts, I will be content.

When the team used collegiate blue (or whatever they called it at the time), they were all over the map design-wise.

Ok, no they weren't. The jerseys and pants were all consistant design-wise. It was the only the helmet that was out of wack.

When the team used collegiate blue (or whatever they called it at the time), they were all over the map design-wise.

Ok, no they weren't. The jerseys and pants were all consistant design-wise. It was the only the helmet that was out of wack.

OK, you have the right to be wrong.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

The problem with the Chargers retro starts with the helmet. Yellow bolt on white doesn't work. Plus there's no powder blue on the helmet to tie with the jersey. Not sure if a yellow bolt on a powder blue helmet would work- I suppose a navy blue outline would be needed. I'm a firm believer that the jersey color needs to be represented on the helmet either in the logo or helmet color. This is the same problem with the Bills' retro- red bison on white helmet.

The problem with the Chargers retro starts with the helmet. Yellow bolt on white doesn't work. Plus there's no powder blue on the helmet to tie with the jersey. Not sure if a yellow bolt on a powder blue helmet would work- I suppose a navy blue outline would be needed. I'm a firm believer that the jersey color needs to be represented on the helmet either in the logo or helmet color. This is the same problem with the Bills' retro- red bison on white helmet.

...and one of the MANY reasons why I hate the current NY Giants' look.

:mad:

I'm all about consistancy, but there's certain times when you have to pick and choose how consistant to be with colors. In a lot of cases I think it's okay to focuse on the uniform set as a whole instead of each individual piece. Not that the Chargers throwbacks seem to do that anyways, but my Chargers concepts do and they don't have the powder blue on the helmet.

hawk36 i do like what you did with the home unis i was'nt trying to hate on that but let's see a good away concept, maybe powder blue pants or yellow pants.

I still prefer powder blue to the overused navy but here's my full fledged revision

sd06_3.jpg

I like your concepts but I hate the different-colored-sleeve look a lot of teams have these days. It just doesn't work IMO.

The problem with the Chargers retro starts with the helmet.  Yellow bolt on white doesn't work.  Plus there's no powder blue on the helmet to tie with the jersey. Not sure if a yellow bolt on a powder blue helmet would work- I suppose a navy blue outline would be needed.  I'm a firm believer that the jersey color needs to be represented on the helmet either in the logo or helmet color.  This is the same problem with the Bills' retro- red bison on white helmet.

...and one of the MANY reasons why I hate the current NY Giants' look.

:mad:

First of all, the Giants have a red stripe on your helmet, in case you weren't aware. Secondly even if you did have a problem with thier wihte jerseys, the blue ones look much better without the outlined numbers and sleeve stripes (like the 80s and 90s). Not to mention the gray pants with both uniforms work, and even the gray facemask compliments the design.

I don't know why you have such distaste for the Giants' look, there's at least a dozen teams (starting with Seattle and Cincinnati) that have much more offensive uniforms.

I don't know why you have such distaste for the Giants' look, there's at least a dozen teams (starting with Seattle and Cincinnati) that have much more offensive uniforms.

I'm with Pantone on this one. The Giants' current look unfortunately scream "Poor Rural High School!" with the plain blue jersey and ultra-simple helmet logo. I know it's part tradition (especially the helmet logo), but it's plain to the point of boredom.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I'm with Pantone on this one. The Giants' current look unfortunately scream "Poor Rural High School!" with the plain blue jersey and ultra-simple helmet logo. I know it's part tradition (especially the helmet logo), but it's plain to the point of boredom.

Prior to last year, the Giants had a beautiful look. The simple helmet logo with a simple stripe and a grey facemask that actually works with the grey pants. The blue jerseys were simple but nice. The close striping on the grey pants was great. The white jerseys matched in simplicity with th red numbers outlined in blue being a nice touch.

Then they introduced the new white jersey that matches nothing about their look and ignores their most prominent color. In doing so they also introduced a second pair of grey pants, and having two pants that are the same color is rarely okay (the Broncos do it..but even then I wish they could find a way not to), and while the striping on the new pants fits the ugly white jersey better, the seperated striping doesn't look good on grey.

So, I think the Giants currently have a strong home look, and they screwed up a strong road look.

Yeah, ok. Pictures don't lie:

072.jpg

079.jpg

041.jpg

The pants and jersey both match. The pants have yellow bolts, outlined in powder blue, as does the jersey. The colours and striping patterns on both the pants and jerseys match. It's just the helmet that's scewed up, with black numbers and outlines. The helmet is the only inconsistancy in the Chargers throwback look.

Take the time to look a a few photos before you open your mouth.

072.jpg

079.jpg

041.jpg

The pants and jersey both match. The pants have yellow bolts, outlined in powder blue, as does the jersey. The colours and striping patterns on both the pants and jerseys match. It's just the helmet that's scewed up, with black numbers and outlines. The helmet is the only inconsistancy in the Chargers throwback look.

okay Icecap please don't make me :puke:

072.jpg

079.jpg

041.jpg

The pants and jersey both match. The pants have yellow bolts, outlined in powder blue, as does the jersey. The colours and striping patterns on both the pants and helmets both match. It's just the helmet that's scewed up, with black numbers and outlines. The helmet is the only inconsistancy in the Chargers throwback look.

Listen smartass, my original comment refers to all the uniforms in their history, not just the flavor of the month. Literacy seems to be a problem for you. And as for the helmet being the only thing inconsistent, seems kind of significant, don't ya think Sparky?

We all know you have a hard on for the baby blues, but as I said, the better design currently uses NAVY. People seem to think the the "good ol' days" are so great. Yet with the baby blues, the Chargers changed up their design continually. The current uniforms have lasted so long because the layout of design elements is perfect, regardless of which shade of blue is used.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived