Sign in to follow this  
willieg21

ESPN Radio about the Chargers' Throwbacks

When the team used collegiate blue (or whatever they called it at the time), they were all over the map design-wise.

Ok, no they weren't. The jerseys and pants were all consistant design-wise. It was the only the helmet that was out of wack.

OK, you have the right to be wrong.

Yeah, ok. Pictures don't lie:

072.jpg

079.jpg

041.jpg

The pants and jersey both match. The pants have yellow bolts, outlined in powder blue, as does the jersey. The colours and striping patterns on both the pants and helmets both match. It's just the helmet that's scewed up, with black numbers and outlines. The helmet is the only inconsistancy in the Chargers throwback look.

Take the time to look a a few photos before you open your mouth.

Listen smartass, my original comment refers to all the uniforms in their history, not just the flavor of the month. Literacy seems to be a problem for you. And as for the helmet being the only thing inconsistent, seems kind of significant, don't ya think Sparky?

We all know you have a hard on for the baby blues, but as I said, the better design currently uses NAVY. People seem to think the the "good ol' days" are so great. Yet with the baby blues, the Chargers changed up their design continually. The current uniforms have lasted so long because the layout of design elements is perfect, regardless of which shade of blue is used.

Someone seems a little defensive. Go back and look at your earlier comment. You were not clear on what you ment by any stretch of the imagination.

Look, I don't like the navy blues because of any "good old days." I wasn't even alive when the powder blues were the primary. On top of that, the Chargers had their best season in the navy set. So for you, or anyone, to say that people only want the powder blues back because of the "good old days" is border line retarded. The Chargers made it to the Super Bowl in navy, and have found some new success in navy in the recent years. According to your theory (and the theory of every other retro hater AND lover) bolts fans should have a hard on for the navy set. We don't though, do we?

No, around 70-75% of us perfer the powder blues for the simple reason that we think it looks better.

As for the helmet, that is an area that a lot of people will comprimse on. If the Chargers adopt the powder blues full time, but hit the field with an updated helmet (yellow bolt, powder blue outline, white face mask, no numbers) I would fine, as would most advicates of the powder blues. Not only would it keep the original look intact, but it would tie all elements of the look together.

As for the current navy set, they havn't been around for so long because they represent the perfesction of uniform design. Infact they've been modified slighty (the pants have changed once or twice). The reason the current navy is around has to do with the current Chargers owner Alex Spanos.

He hates yellow, and likes navy blue. That's why the bolts are currently wearing boring, drab navy and white uniforms with as little yellow as possible. Also, Spanos sees the current navy set as his "mark" on the team, and won't change as long as he's in charge. The longevity of the navy has nothing to do with being a agreat design.

The sad thing is that the navy set can be so good. All they need to do is switch the white and yellow, and they'll have some of the leauge's best. If they did that, then I would probablly be content with the powder blues as a once or twice a year alt. But no, Spanos hates yellow, so the integrity of the uniform design suffers.

I could see more yellow included, but in nature, the design gets it right. Lightning is white and the glow is off-white to yellow, so what they have makes sense.

It is true that a lot of navy is used in the league, but the Chargers were an early adaptor. In reviewing the timeline, fact is the current set is the best designed uniform of the bunch. When the team used collegiate blue (or whatever they called it at the time), they were all over the map design-wise.

You may not like navy, but the layout of elements in the current design is second to none.

I don't know. My original quote seems pretty damn clear.

Forget the success of the team for a second. People tend to look upon the past as always being better. OK, fine. Bring back the inconsistent old uniforms. They'd be canned with 5 seasons. Why? Because once the novelty wore off, people would say What the hell did we see in those rags?

To me, the lighter blues are just this era's teal. I really don't care. Change the navy to baby blue on the current design and IMO would be fine.

And as for being defensive, I get pissed when a smartass can't even get the context of what was posted correct. And telling me to look at a few photos before opening my mouth is an antagonistic statement. You may want to review your own online etiquette before posting again.

On top of that, the Chargers had their best season in the navy set. So for you, or anyone, to say that people only want the powder blues back because of the "good old days" is border line retarded.

Retarded? The Chargers were embarrased in their Super Bowl appearance in the navy blues. The were AFL CHAMPIONS in the powder blues.

As a life long, born and raised in San Diego, Charger fan, the glory days were in fact the early 60s and early 80s... hands down.

I don't know why you have such distaste for the Giants' look, there's at least a dozen teams (starting with Seattle and Cincinnati) that have much more offensive uniforms.

I'm with Pantone on this one. The Giants' current look unfortunately scream "Poor Rural High School!" with the plain blue jersey and ultra-simple helmet logo. I know it's part tradition (especially the helmet logo), but it's plain to the point of boredom.

Prior to last year, the Giants had a beautiful look. The simple helmet logo with a simple stripe and a grey facemask that actually works with the grey pants. The blue jerseys were simple but nice. The close striping on the grey pants was great. The white jerseys matched in simplicity with th red numbers outlined in blue being a nice touch.

Then they introduced the new white jersey that matches nothing about their look and ignores their most prominent color. In doing so they also introduced a second pair of grey pants, and having two pants that are the same color is rarely okay (the Broncos do it..but even then I wish they could find a way not to), and while the striping on the new pants fits the ugly white jersey better, the seperated striping doesn't look good on grey.

So, I think the Giants currently have a strong home look, and they screwed up a strong road look.

I agree, I liked the red-with-blue outline one the white jerseys better than the currents. But I still like the current helment better than the "GIANTS" one of the 80s and 90s. And OVERALL, I think that their look, while not perfect, isn't as bad as Pantone is making it out to be.

I agree, I liked the red-with-blue outline one the white jerseys better than the currents. But I still like the current helment better than the "GIANTS" one of the 80s and 90s. And OVERALL, I think that their look, while not perfect, isn't as bad as Pantone is making it out to be.

Not bad, per se, just as boring as Metamucial. ^_^

On top of that, the Chargers had their best season in the navy set. So for you, or anyone, to say that people only want the powder blues back because of the "good old days" is border line retarded.

Retarded? The Chargers were embarrased in their Super Bowl appearance in the navy blues. The were AFL CHAMPIONS in the powder blues.

As a life long, born and raised in San Diego, Charger fan, the glory days were in fact the early 60s and early 80s... hands down.

I hate to say this, especially as a Chargers fan, but winning an AFL title isn't that pristegious. In all fairness, looking back, winning a NFL title prior to the Super Bowl isn't all that pristerigious.

The Super Bowl will forever be known as the ultimate championship game of American football. All other title games from the past (NFL, AFL, AAFC) are inferior. The Super Bowl is THE benchmark.

Yeah, the Chargers were AFL champs. Look at when they won it though: 1961, and 1963. The won AFL titles during the years the leauge was considered a joke. It wasn't until around the time of the Super Bowl (circa 1965) that the AFL began to be seen as almost on the NFL. By the time the AFL was equal footing with the NFL, the AFL title was already playing second (or third) fiddle to the Super Bowl. Not to mention that the Chargers were humiliated twice in AFL title games wearing the powder blues, losing twice to the Buffalo Bills 20-7 and 23-0 in 1964 and 1965.

Yes, the Chargers were humiliated at Super Bowl XXIX. Yet, they still made it. They were one of the two best teams in football that season, something they had never done.

I get pissed when a smartass can't even get the context of what was posted correct. And telling me to look at a few photos before opening my mouth is an antagonistic statement. You may want to review your own online etiquette before posting again.

he's been that way as long as he has been here, and he is too hard-headed to change for the better unfortuately.

so even though youre right in this argument, he will smuggly insist that he is, even though we all know he is wrong.

The point is that to say the Chargers didn't have glory days prior to 1994 is simply being misinformed. Sure the AFL Championship isn't what the Super Bowl is but it was a true championship and the Chargers did win it. Are we supposed to just ignore that it ever happened?

IMO the Super Bowl appearance was more a fluke than anything. The team was not a powerhouse and wasn't overly good in the years before and after the appearance. The team of the late 70s early 80s was by far the best team of the bunch and the early 60s Chargers were a constant force.

It all seems clear and simple to me but maybe it's because I've seen it all first hand. (In other words... I'm a bit old).

Has anyone ever thought of using the powder set at home and the navy set on the road? I know the Seahawks had a problem with the two helmet deal awhile back but maybe the NFL could revisit.

It's actually quite common in soccer (Man U red/white and then navy/white, or Juventus black/white and then pink, Real Madrid black/white and then neon green, etc.) Might be cool to be the first US sports team to have drastically different colors/looks for home and away.

I'd say the Washington Nationals have drastically different uniforms, red-dominated at home, navy-dominated on the road, and frankly, I don't like it. There should be better continuity.

Well , Granted the Chargers wore the Navy , but wore the powder blue that same season a number of times , regenerating the collegiate blues of the Championship 60's in which al Davis had hand in building . But San Diego had a choice in wearing the collegiate blues in the super bowl , But decided not to because if you remember SF wore the throwbacks & white pants in that superbowl & steam rolled the Chargers . But IMO in both the Home & away they should have the collegiate blue & navy with the yellow bolts . repersent all of their history in old, but new uniforms . :D

Here's the perfect comprimise, IMO:

NFLunisSDC.png

Use the 1986-1987 home unis as the home and road set, with some slight modifications*, and keep the powder blue throwbacks as a twice a year alt.

*Give the bolts on the home jersey a double outline like the helmets, road jersey, and pants have. Also, give the road jerey a plain white collar.

Yeah, ok. Pictures don't lie:

072.jpg

079.jpg

041.jpg

The pants and jersey both match. The pants have yellow bolts, outlined in powder blue, as does the jersey. The colours and striping patterns on both the pants and helmets both match. It's just the helmet that's scewed up, with black numbers and outlines. The helmet is the only inconsistancy in the Chargers throwback look.

Take the time to look a a few photos before you open your mouth.

Hate to be picky, but the lightning bolts on the pants and helmet aren't from the same pattern. The bolts on the pants have shorter strokes and start on the opposite side when compared to the ones on the helmet. I know I'm nitpicking, but hey, isn't that what we do best here? ^_^

Always thought, whether it's on the powder, royal, or navy, that the pants would look much better if they used the same bolt pattern as on the helmet and jersey. Can't understand why they do it.

Maybe it's because, when seen from a distance as in the last photo, the bolt looks more like straight lines? I don't know.