rebelx

Marlins Name Change

I've been wanting the relegation deal in our leagues ever since I lived in Europe and was exposed to the system. The best end of season games are between teams fighting relegation. Can you imagine a final day of the season, Tampa Bay Devil Rays / Texas Rangers game that actually meant something? Would be brilliant!

Time to bring in Soccer style relegation to MLB.

I know it is a pipe dream, but I love the idea that the worst NL and worst AL team would be sent down to AAA, or even better, that they would play a best-of 7 series with the PCL and IL champions to stay in MLB. MLB could create a AAAA league out of the worthy cities of the AAA and have them as pseudo-big league, a 2nd division.

These cities could push for AAAA status, bigger or better stadia and a chance each year to move up to the bigs (Sorry KC, Miami...you have to beat the Durham Bulls or Las Vegas 51's to stay in MLB)

Albuquerque

Buffalo

Charlotte

Columbus

Durham

Indianapolis

Las Vegas

Memphis

Montreal

New Orleans

Oklahoma City

Portland

Sacramento

Salt Lake City

San Antonio

Vancouver

Did I miss any?

I'd add Toledo.

Although it may cause a DevilRay-type flap , how about the SAN ANTONIO There's no way in HELL we're getting an MLB team because we're being used for leverage TEAM?

I've been wanting the relegation deal in our leagues ever since I lived in Europe and was exposed to the system. The best end of season games are between teams fighting relegation. Can you imagine a final day of the season, Tampa Bay Devil Rays / Texas Rangers game that actually meant something? Would be brilliant!

Final game of the season? What are you smoking?

The Devil Rays would be relegated in August. :P

Yet another freakin' "let's relegate teams to AAA" post.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Greatest idea in sports history since the Super Bowl.

No it isn't. Are you high? It would never work and would kill fan interest and team profits. You could destroy baseball in Seattle or Cincinnati, but hey, the Toledo Mud Hens can finally make it big!

Let's see, after the Alamo, the most popular tourist attraction in San Antonio is the Riverwalk. San Antonio Riverwalkers. I like it.

The last CBA allowed for the "discussion" of contraction. The players didn't agree to it, they just agreed that they'd sign the deal in 2002 if Bud didn't bring it up again until 2006.

Let's go to the text of the actual CBA, which reads:

H.  Future Contraction.

The office of the Commissioner and/or the Clubs shall not undertake any centralized effort to reduce the number of Major League Clubs effective for a season covered by this Agreements.  The Clubs shall, however, have the right, subject to the terms and conditions set forth in this Article XV(H), to reduce by as many as two (2) the number of Major League Clubs effective for the 2007 championship season.

(1)  Procedure

(a)  The Clubs may not take a vote relating to contraction effective for the 2007 season prior to April 1, 2006.  The Clubs shall notify the Association of any decision to contract effective for the 2007 championship season no later than July 1, 2006 and, on or before that date, shall supply to the Association a tentative championship schedule for the 2007 championship season reflecting such decision.

(B)  Any decision to contract effective for the 2007 championship season shall be subject to effects bargaining

Note that the words "effects bargaining" are bolded, underlined and italicized. It's to make a point: the effects of a contraction could be negotiated, but if MLB were to unexpectedly decide to pull the plug on a team for 2007, there's not a damned thing the MLBPA could do about it. It's an academic discussion, but still a thing worth considering.

Las Vegas. Largest growing metropolitan area in the US. Great weather. Great location. Playin' in Vegas baby!!!

San Antonio Riverwalkers. I like it.

Too leisurely, even for baseball.

San Antonio Riverwalkers.  I like it.

Or it could be shortened to Walkers, which would be like the Dodgers (short for trolley dodgers). My criteria: a name that is unique to the city, isn't too obvious and ends in the letter "s.'

San Antonio Riverwalkers.  I like it.

Or it could be shortened to Walkers, which would be like the Dodgers (short for trolley dodgers). My criteria: a name that is unique to the city, isn't too obvious and ends in the letter "s.'

Just plain San Antonio Walkers. I like it. Chuck Norris could be the mascot. (Walkers at Texas Rangers: Brilliant!)

With that name, though, they'd really have to be careful about scouting patient hitters and control pitchers.

Las Vegas. Largest growing metropolitan area in the US. Great weather. Great location. Playin' in Vegas baby!!!

No ballpark.

No financing.

No discernable fanbase.

No team. :P

Time to bring in Soccer style relegation to MLB.

I know it is a pipe dream, but I love the idea that the worst NL and worst AL team would be sent down to AAA, or even better, that they would play a best-of 7 series with the PCL and IL champions to stay in MLB.  MLB could create a AAAA league out of the worthy cities of the AAA and have them as pseudo-big league, a 2nd division. 

These cities could push for AAAA status, bigger or better stadia and a chance each year to move up to the bigs (Sorry KC, Miami...you have to beat the Durham Bulls or Las Vegas 51's to stay in MLB)

Albuquerque

Buffalo

Charlotte

Columbus

Durham

Indianapolis

Las Vegas

Memphis

Montreal

New Orleans

Oklahoma City

Portland

Sacramento

Salt Lake City

San Antonio

Vancouver

Did I miss any?

I'd add Toledo.

I would add Rochester and Louisville. Or at least Louisville. And remove Montreal.

The last CBA allowed for the "discussion" of contraction.  The players didn't agree to it, they just agreed that they'd sign the deal in 2002 if Bud didn't bring it up again until 2006.

Let's go to the text of the actual CBA, which reads:

H.  Future Contraction.

The office of the Commissioner and/or the Clubs shall not undertake any centralized effort to reduce the number of Major League Clubs effective for a season covered by this Agreements.  The Clubs shall, however, have the right, subject to the terms and conditions set forth in this Article XV(H), to reduce by as many as two (2) the number of Major League Clubs effective for the 2007 championship season.

(1)  Procedure

(a)  The Clubs may not take a vote relating to contraction effective for the 2007 season prior to April 1, 2006.  The Clubs shall notify the Association of any decision to contract effective for the 2007 championship season no later than July 1, 2006 and, on or before that date, shall supply to the Association a tentative championship schedule for the 2007 championship season reflecting such decision.

(B)  Any decision to contract effective for the 2007 championship season shall be subject to effects bargaining

Note that the words "effects bargaining" are bolded, underlined and italicized. It's to make a point: the effects of a contraction could be negotiated, but if MLB were to unexpectedly decide to pull the plug on a team for 2007, there's not a damned thing the MLBPA could do about it. It's an academic discussion, but still a thing worth considering.

Well, technically, the MLBPA couldn't have done anything in 2002 either, except not agree to a new CBA and shut the game down again. I know, it's a stupid idea to risk 750 jobs to keep 50 of them, but that doesn't mean Fehr wouldn't do it. And considering how the MLBPA has reacted to this in the past, there's no reason to believe they wouldn't flip out again, even if the owners offered to expand rosters to 27 or 28 (which would increase the # of players in the league overall, but cost tons of jobs at the minor league level).

It's a nice academic discussion, but I think that the MLBPA wouldn't be the biggest obstacle to contraction (I think they'd eventually cave if roster expansion were offered). It's the local municipalities that would sue over it. MLB would have to pay off everyone. Buy the franchises back from the owner, pay for breaking the stadium lease, cover all the other local breach-of-contracts (including TV/radio $).

It's a nice academic discussion, but I think that the MLBPA wouldn't be the biggest obstacle to contraction (I think they'd eventually cave if roster expansion were offered).  It's the local municipalities that would sue over it.  MLB would have to pay off everyone.  Buy the franchises back from the owner, pay for breaking the stadium lease, cover all the other local breach-of-contracts (including TV/radio $).

Hmm. I don't know about that.

The teams are independent business entities, franchisees of a larger corporation. Teams sign their own leases, MLB doesn't sign them. Unlike the NFL, teams sign their own broadcasting contracts. I believe that a team could go bankrupt, and get out of the various contracts without leaving MLB on the hook. It wouldn't be a very good PR move, but I think it would be legal.

If a local McDonald's goes under, is the McDonald's corporation responsible for the lease?

If the Marlins moved to San Antonio, it seems a logical team nickname would be Stallions. Texas has long been associated with horses, the basketball team is the spurs, and what are spurs used on?

Mustangs is another possibility.

As for Portland, I long have felt that if MLB expanded to 32 teams (similar to NFL), I would nickname the team "Meadowlarks" since that is the state bird of Oregon.

As for Charlotte, Carolina Strikers is the nickname I would use.

What irks me about this new stadium deal for the Marlins, is they are 13 years old (14th season), while older teams like the Angels, A's & Dodgers are playing in relics from the 1960s. What irks me further about this Florida team is, didn't they consider the bad weather factor back when they first were choosing expansion cities? If it rains a lot, don't give the city a team w/out a retractable dome or roof stadium. They put the cart before the horse here, which is really silly, but it makes my post come full circle...get it? Stallions....cart before the HORSE....

Regards,

Bill McD.

As for Portland, I long have felt that if MLB expanded to 32 teams (similar to NFL), I would nickname the team "Meadowlarks" since that is the state bird of Oregon.

Meadowlarks?!? :puke:

I would just call them the DamBeavers or Beavers for short just like the PCL team.

If a local McDonald's goes under, is the McDonald's corporation responsible for the lease?

No, but McDonald's doesn't enjoy an antitrust exemption. And the state of Major League Baseball's antitrust exemption is precisely the reason that the settlement of individual team leases in the wake of contraction would be the least of Major League Baseball's concerns.

Should contraction be implemented by the powers-that-be at MLB headquarters, you can be sure that the United States Senators and Representatives who represent the pair of markets being contracted would call for a long, hard look into MLB's monopolistic business practices - particularly, the awarding/relocation/contraction of teams. Said review of the antitrust exemption should be more than enough incentive to table contraction once again.