rebelx

Marlins Name Change

Florida Marlins, mark it down

if not that, how about the South Florida Marlins (to focus on the area since there is a 2nd team in Florida) or Miami Marlins if the ballpark can be built in Miami city limits

San Antonio Acoustics

San Antonio Armadillos

San Antonio Aztecs

San Antonia Banderilleros

San Antonio Matadors

San Antonio 36 (no ers just Thirty-Six)

Las Vegas Sharks

Now there is no sharks in Vegas, but there are card sharks, and sharks is a pretty cool name by itself. They would be the Card Sharks, but Sharks for short, like the Devil Rays.

San Antonio Banderilleros

Oh come on, who's gonna pronounce THAT one? Bond-air-ee-yair-ohs? Broadcasters around the leagues are gonna make Harry Caray sound like Jon Miller as they fumble their way through that one.

San Antonio 36 (no ers just Thirty-Six)

Not gonna get past Hispanic lobbyists. Plus, if you're not from Texas or aren't a history buff, "36," or even "1836," has no relevance to people. Plus just "36" sounds too abstract for the majors, where singular noun team names are de facto verboten. 36 what? There are 9 guys on the field, 25 on the roster. The hell does 36 mean? Okay, Texas independence, but nobody's gonna know that.

I like Norfolk Torpedoes; I'm working on a concept for it. Torps for short?

San Antonio Conquistadores, or Dukes for short. :) Too bad the Dukes were an affiliate of the Padres, then it would be perfect!

ALB-D_5423.gif

Am I the only one concerned with division alignment? While I don't like the NL Central six team/Al West four team discrepancy, the divisions as are at least make sense. So if the Marlins move to San Antonio or Portland, what sense while that make?

How about, I don't know, a team in Portland, ME? Well, maybe not... Indianapolis? Nashville? Memphis? Hartford? Columbus? Those cities all make more geographic sense than Las Vegas, San Antonio or Portland.

I used to be concerned with divisional alignment, but then I had an epiphany and realized the current alignment with an even number in each league allows for all thirty teams to play on any given day. If you have fifteen in each, you'd have at least two teams idle each day (unless interleague play was stepped up big time). You'd have off-days for teams on weekends, when (I assume) you'd have the best attendance.

I think MLB is more interested in locations that make financial sense than geographic sense.

Am I the only one concerned with division alignment?  While I don't like the NL Central six team/Al West four team discrepancy, the divisions as are at least make sense.  So if the Marlins move to San Antonio or Portland, what sense while that make? 

How about, I don't know, a team in Portland, ME?  Well, maybe not...  Indianapolis?  Nashville?  Memphis?  Hartford?  Columbus?  Those cities all make more geographic sense than Las Vegas, San Antonio or Portland.

I used to be concerned with divisional alignment, but then I had an epiphany and realized the current alignment with an even number in each league allows for all thirty teams to play on any given day. If you have fifteen in each, you'd have at least two teams idle each day (unless interleague play was stepped up big time). You'd have off-days for teams on weekends, when (I assume) you'd have the best attendance.

I think MLB is more interested in locations that make financial sense than geographic sense.

Interleague play would not have to be increased at all if each league had 15 teams. It would just have to be spread throughout the year.

Nobody wants that, though. Leave the leagues separate as much as possible.

San Antonio Conquistadores, or Dukes for short. :) Too bad the Dukes were an affiliate of the Padres, then it would be perfect!

ALB-D_5423.gif

How do you get Dukes from Conquistadores?

Too bad the Dukes were an affiliate of the Padres, then it would be perfect!

The Albuquerque Dukes were never a San Diego Padres affiliate. The former Dukes franchise became a Padres affiliate after relocating to Portland in 2001.

In the case of Albuquerque, New Mexico, the city was founded by conquistadores and named in honor of the 10th Duke of Alburquerque, viceroy of New Spain. Hence, the somewhat tenuous connection.

The largest three media markets (as ranked by Neilsen) are:

19) Sacramento - Stockton - Modesto, CA

20) Orlando - Daytona Beach - FL

23) Portland, OR

Miami - Ft. Lauderdale is # 17

#27 Charlotte, NC

#28 Hartford - New Haven, CT

#29 Raleigh-Durham, NC

#30 Nashville, TN

#35 Greenville - Spartanville- Ashville, NC

and #36 Salt Lake City

are all ranked above San Antonio - #37

These are TV homes, people.

Norfolk is #42

Las Vegas is #48

Miami should keep their team.

Charlotte and Portland should get expansion teams.

That would create two 16 team leagues with 4 teams in each division.

You could keep the wildcard or only let division winners in the playoffs.

It doesn't matter where Miami falls in Nielsen rankings if the Marlins can't sell tickets.

In the case of Albuquerque, New Mexico, the city was founded by conquistadores and named in honor of the 10th Duke of Alburquerque, viceroy of New Spain. Hence, the somewhat tenuous connection.

Yeh, tenuous connection, but a nod to the team's namesake nonetheless.

Related question-- If it wasn't the Padres, then wasn't the Dukes the affiliate of the Dodgers? For some queer reason I've always gotten them mixed up... :(