Flint Generals on thin ice?

CMUBrent

well all teams in the UHL,SPHL and CHL are affliated with the NHL right????

Pretty much the only ones at this level that have consistant ties with NHL clubs are ECHL teams.

The only one in the UHL that has any sort of official sponsorship from an NHL club (or AHL club for that matter) is Rockford, who just inked a deal with Milwaukee and Nashville earlier in the season. Elmira used to have an agreement with Syracuse & Columbus (going so far as to having a Blue Jackets logo as a patch on the jerseys), but that expired before the start of last season.

In the C, I think Fort Worth is the only one with a relationship with an NHL team (Dallas)....

SPHL doesn't have any...if anything, they make a big deal when someone gets loaned to an ECHL team.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Well, it was something I saw coming, but here it is in writing...

Richmond Riverdogs given Old Yeller treatment by jerkbag owner

And now, from what I've been hearing from some of their fans, it looks like more and more that Missouri's about to go belly up...seems an announcement on that is pending in the coming days...

More than likely, we're looking at a possible 12 team UHL next season...the only good thing is that it probably spells the end to this silly 3 division format.

FANTASY TEAMS

well y dont they merge all the afloat teams from the UHL, CHL and SPHL and make it the "a" league for the NHL?? Then teams have affliates so they have a few more $$$ to use and such??? The AHL is the AAA the ECHL is the AA it only makes sence

well y dont they merge all the afloat teams from the UHL, CHL and SPHL and make it the "a" league for the NHL?? Then teams have affliates so they have a few more $$$ to use and such??? The AHL is the AAA the ECHL is the AA it only makes sence

never going to happen in the first place, first of all, you are insulting both the UHL and CHL by saying they are "A", they are AA just like the ECHL and some believe even better. Second, there are so many people within the leagues who think they are better than the other one, and if a merger happens(which will never happen) there will be some ego clashing and all it will do is bring the "A" league you are proposing crashing down. Also remember this

NHL

AAA

AHL

AA

CHL

ECHL

UHL

A

SPHL

Because no GM or owner in their right mind would agree to forming a league that large and spread out?

Because some teams prefer the ability to set your own roster that comes from independece?

Because the UHL and CHL are low-AA talent rather than the A talent you make them out to be?

Because no NHL farm system is that deep?

Because no NHL team wants to pick up the health and other sundry payment requirements that having additional affiliates would bring?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Because no GM or owner in their right mind would agree to forming a league that large and spread out?

Because some teams prefer the ability to set your own roster that comes from independece?

Because the UHL and CHL are low-AA talent rather than the A talent you make them out to be?

Because no NHL farm system is that deep?

Because no NHL team wants to pick up the health and other sundry payment requirements that having additional affiliates would bring?

Exactly!

Heck, Fort Wayne's been courted to join the AHL for quite a while (hard to turn down a team that's drawing 7K a night average as a possibility), but their owners steadfastly refuse to do so, mostly knowing they'd lose their independence as a tradeoff.

It's a nice idea, and I've seen what lilben's proposing many a time before, but it's just not gonna happen....especially as long as the present heads of the CHL and UHL are in place (they ain't exactly sharing recipies if you catch my drift)...

FANTASY TEAMS

Would make sense, but your forgetting that hockey usually drafts their players when they are still in college, playing NCAA hockey or when they are in Juniors (OHL,WHL...) so they develop more before they get into the NHL system.

I would think the only reason that MLB has a farm system as large as it does is probably because it got big in popularity on a professional level long before college sports developed into anything like they are now.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

• 3 weeks later...

I had forgotten it had been 2 and a half weeks since we first started this discussion.

Tomorrow May 8 is when the fate of the Vipers is determined and right now it is looking like they are done. The play by play announcer got "let go" as he called it in an interview and their day to day staff is down to 2 or 3 people. The Dazzle got taken away last week so it would only be fitting that the Vipers get taken away this week. The Dixon's had no comment on the future of the team (wow that is a shocker)

Meanwhile the Salem Avalanche keep setting attendance records. They are now averaging just under 3800 a game and are 2nd in the carolina league in attendance. School gets out here in the valley next month and they are well on pace to hit the 250k mark this year. I know when I go to games during the summer attendance is usually in the 4500 to 5000 range nightly.

If I can find it I will post it but the news did a story on all the failed sports franchises in this area since Salem joined the Carolina League in the 60's and how so many teams can fail but Salem just keeps rolling along with support.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Heck, Fort Wayne's been courted to join the AHL for quite a while (hard to turn down a team that's drawing 7K a night average as a possibility), but their owners steadfastly refuse to do so, mostly knowing they'd lose their independence as a tradeoff.

Actually, the decision of Fort Wayne's ownership not to move up to the AHL has less to do with "independence" than it does with the fact that they just don't believe the economics of AHL hockey would work in Fort Wayne.

Archived