Sign in to follow this  
Brendan

a question about some logos and team names

ok i have a few question you know the hurricans alternate logo what is it and what is a blue jacket i know what a yellow jacket is but whats a blue jacket is it some cival war thing

Canes logo is a tropical storm warning flag.

Blue Jackets get thier name from Union soldiers.

What really bugs me is that it isn't a hurricane. Two flags means "hurricane." One means just a storm.

As for the Blue Jackets, I think they made a big mistake going with the bug logo at the start. It muddied the origins of the nickname.

Actually the Blue Jackets could be seen as having a second meaning.

As any student who went through Ohio Studies Class in Junior High in Ohio will tell you Chief Blue Jacket was a Shawnee Indian chief in southern / central ohio that was very noble. The irony here is that Blue Jacket was actually a white child raised as an indian. I applauded the franchise when I heard the nickname thinking how cool it was to honor such a thing and a logo couldn't be offensive, cause the dude was white, right? Well then they roll out the Civil War crap- never once had i heard union soldiers described as "Blue Jackets" So yeah I'll end my rant now.

Yes, it could have a second meaning. But they explicitly denied the connection at the time (my ex-wife was acting in BLUE JACKET, one of the curious historical pageants that dot Ohio, at the time).

Actually the Blue Jackets could be seen as having a second meaning.

As any student who went through Ohio Studies Class in Junior High in Ohio will tell you Chief Blue Jacket was a Shawnee Indian chief in southern / central ohio that was very noble. The irony here is that Blue Jacket was actually a white child raised as an indian. I applauded the franchise when I heard the nickname thinking how cool it was to honor such a thing and a logo couldn't be offensive, cause the dude was white, right? Well then they roll out the Civil War crap- never once had i heard union soldiers described as "Blue Jackets" So yeah I'll end my rant now.

This is what I thought when the name came out, since I learned all about the Ohio tribes in Michigan studies (weird?) in elementary school. Don't know how I remembered about Chief Blue Jacket but I did. I never thought about the 'Canes logo, but I guess it is just a "storm".

Cool.

1 flag means tropical storm. 2 means hurricane.

maybe their thinking is that they have two shoulders, so it's a hurricane? :)

Being from Ohio, the only Blue Jacket I had ever heard of was Chief Blue Jacket. I had never heard union soldiers called that either.

US Navy enlisted sailors are called Bluejackets, which was what I thought the logo was going to be when the name was announced. Whoops! <_< However, they could go into Columbus Clippers territory and go for a naval logo with a name like that. Something I would approve of. ^_^

US Navy enlisted sailors are called Bluejackets, which was what I thought the logo was going to be when the name was announced. Whoops! <_< However, they could go into Columbus Clippers territory and go for a naval logo with a name like that. Something I would approve of. ^_^

Of course, Columbus, OH has such a strong naval tradition. :upside:

Of course, Columbus, OH has such a strong naval tradition.  :upside:

Well *I* know that, but I in all of my junior-in-high-school thinking then figured that there would be a connection with the Clips. But Columbus does have a sort-of Naval tradition, as the Naval Station at Columbus has been around since just before World War II. Yeah, I know I'm stretching, but when we're talking about a team whose first mascot was a neon green bug, it's not that much of a stretch at all! :)

I always thought the Clippers were named because C-Bus is named after Christopher C-Bus, who had those ships.

I always thought the Clippers were named because C-Bus is named after Christopher C-Bus, who had those ships.

It is, but Columbus didn't sail across the ocean blue with Clipper ships. They (the popular conception of a Clipper ship, that is) were an invention of New England shipbuilders in the post War of 1812 era.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Blue Jackets originally had some kind of goofy looking bug in their logo. What was that about.

CBJ_4573.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Blue Jackets originally had some kind of goofy looking bug in their logo. What was that about.

CBJ_4573.gif

Confusing your new fanbase as to the meaning of your team's name.

CBJ_4573.gif

Confusing your new fanbase as to the meaning of your team's name.

Exactly. That was the mistake that I mentioned - it muddied the meaning of the name.

Blue Jackets get thier name from Union soldiers.

Wonder why the NHL hasn't tried to 'play up' a rivalry between the Blue Jackets and the Atlanta Thrashers?

"The Blue Jackets invade Atlanta tonight, and hope to burn the town down." :D

I noticed this logo on the Blue Jackets website:

4067.f.jpg

I think it would look good on a jersey.

it's their shoulder logo

Wonder why the NHL hasn't tried to 'play up' a rivalry between the Blue Jackets and the Atlanta Thrashers?

"The Blue Jackets invade Atlanta tonight, and hope to burn the town down." :D

With the help of the Flames (The origin of the name when they were in Atlanta) I suppose?