Who is the best coach ever? and currently?

Saintsfan

Just occured to me as a worthwhile question, given a couple of points on my latest 'from the mind of saintsfan' thread (thoroughly recommended btw!!!!)

In US sports, I guess you have to pick the obvious guys, like Lombardi, Walsh, Riley, as contenders. Of the current coaches around I have a lot of respect for Gruden, obviously Parcells, Larry Brown. But how great a coach is for instance Phil Jackson, given that he has always had the most talented rosters in the NBA and didn't win the title in Chicago without Jordan?

In soccer Alex Ferguson at Manchester United has been there for 17 years now, and turned that club around into the best in England after years of underachievement.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Best...

NFL-Vince Lombardi (nobody motivated or got more from his players. Also a winning percentage of nearly .750

Honorable Mention goes to Tom Landry. A mastermind & inventor of the shotgun (without which the majority of teams would be lost).

Best current...

Phil Jackson-won 9 titles with the Bulls & Lakers over the past 13 years.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Ah, yes. But while Landry may have invented the Shotgun, Howard Hickey of the 49ers was the first to use it on a full-time basis... :D But yeah, Landry was great.

However, the best coach ever in any sport is Bill Parcells and he's proving that right now. The Cowboys certainly ain't the first team he's done it with. And while his win % may not be as good as Lombardi's... Parcell's did it with teams that were horrid when he got there.

IUe6Hvh.png

best coach ever: Lombardi...i'd also put Halas here but he made one too many comebacks and wound up with two greats (Sayers & Butkus) surrounded by crap.  back to Lombardi, he was doing in 1959 what Parcells is doing this year with the Cowboys, no one expected them to do much and they started winning.  If he hadn't died in 1970 i figure the Redskins would a) still be wearing yellow helmets, and B) have won Super Bowl VII...cus you know had he lived to coach that game he would have sooner died on the spot than let the Skins lose.

honorable mention: Scotty Bowman, George Halas, Tom Lasorda, Marv Levy

best active: Dusty Baker.  last year, the Cubs were either lacking or slacking.  now they've taken teh first steps towards learning how to be a winner.  Cub fans have Dusty to thank.

honorable mention: Bo Ryan, Larry Brown, Lou Piniella, Bill Parcells, Frank Robinson

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

MLB

Best Current: Buck Showalter insturmental in building both the Yankees dynasty and the 2001 D-Backs, maybe he will actually taste the furits of his success in Texas.

Best All-Time: Tom Lasorda had a knack for getting the maxium out of teh Dodgers every year.

NFL

Best Current: Bill Parcells, where ever he goes he wins, tiuring team that were down into contenders.

Best All-Time: Vince Lombardi he simply is the god father had he not been beaten by cnacer he woudl have eventualy taken the Redskins to teh SUper Bowl.

NBA:

Best Current Larry Brown ever where he has gone he has improved his team. He even took the Clippers to the playoffs twice, and anyone who coudl do taht has to be good.

*-Note Phil Jackson is over rated anybody who is halfway decent could have won with talent he has had over the years.

Best All Time: Red Auerbach 8 straight NBA Titles, it simply speaks for itself.

NHL

Best Current: Bob Hartley (No JOKE) what he is doing with the Thrashers is not short of amazing the Avalanche may be succeful with TonY Granato in the next few years, but in the long run they will rue the day he is fired.

Best All-Time: Scotty Bowman Most wins, Most Cups, sucessful almost every hwere he went.

NCAA Football

Best Current: Bobby Bowden with the excepton of the past 2 season the Seminoles have finished every year in the top 10 losing just 1 or 2 games a year. The game has not passed him by, as the Noles appear to be on track to have a very good thsi year, as FSU possiblly will be back in to top 10 or maybe even BSC CHampiosnhip Game.

Best All-Time: Bear Bryant he is a giant among college coaches, until recently had the record of wins in Div 1-A, built a solid prorgam at Bama taht wnet to bowls every year when there were jsut a few each year wining several National Championships.

NCAA Basketabll

Best Current: Mike Kyreazhewski (Coach K) every year Duke has a team taht is a favorite to go to the final 4, part of coashing is recruiting and every year Duke seems to get the best recruits.

Best All-Tim John Wooden his winning streak and consecutive champiosnhsips with UCLA are some of the most impressive streaks of all time.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Whilst Phil Jackson's achievements are genuinely worthwhile, he is overrated as a coach, I believe. The teams he has won with have always been loaded with talent, and when a key piece or two has been missing he has failed to take that team to a championship. I would love to see how he did if he went to say the Clippers.

Parcells is doing better than I imagined he would at the Cowboys. He didn't seem to need any settling in time at all. He is clearly a great coach as he has lead 2 different teams to play at the superbowl, neither of whom had had much success for a while before he arrived. The way he is going in Dallas that could be 3 teams.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

While I think questions like this are nearly impossible to answer, my vote would have to go to John Wooden.  His string of national titles is impressive given the number of teams involved in NCAA D1 basketball and the fact that unlike the pro's, he had to recruit all of his players rather than draft them.  Granted, he could recruit from the best of the best, but that's only because he had the best program - it's a self perpetuating circle of success and that's why I would have to place him at the top.

Well, Tank, Scotty didn't succeed EVERYWHERE.  He spent 10 years in Buffalo, didn't win much there.  He did get in the playoffs, but just about everyone did then.   Notice that someone also had, except for Detroit, put his team together before him (Montreal was built with Al MacNeil as coach, and Pittsburgh with the Badger).

I personally admire a coach who turns something into nothing, and that's why i nominate(As a Habs fan, this is killin' me) Al Arbour.  He started from DAY 1 with the Islanders, in a horribly depleated expansion draft, and got the picks, the leaders, and everything, and built the team from scratch to win the Cup 4 times in a row.  I don't think any other coach is that good.

Archived