Mismatching Logos / Team Names

hawk36

In the Padres last year in Qualcomm Stadium I saw a logo that incorporated the front of San Diego Mission De Alcala. I'd like to see that come back with the Swinging friar.

I started something with it but lots still to be done...

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/8043/padresaltlogo7ep.jpg

I'd like to drop the Padres wordmark to the bottom area, shorten the length of the logo itself, add another window with bell in the center top and add the swinging friar somewhere. Drop "San Diego" and add the SD perhaps or nothing at all.

Would be way too busy though I think. That's why I kinda got stuck.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know the astros logo currently is a star, but it has a railroad station color theme and logo style. Please tell me what a railroad station and brick red and coal black have to do with the space program?

That's always bothered me.

Once they decided not to go through with the name change, they had a serious discrepancy between the team name and the logo/color scheme/stadium.

They should have either pulled the trigger on the new name, or skipped the Olde Weste elements. They don't work together. I love the star, but the rest is incongruous.

I know that I missed this one, what were they going to change the name to?

Houston Diesel, or Houston Diesels, depending on the report you read.

nav-logo.png

The Milwaukee Brewers logo has nothing to do with beer

Last time I checked, wheat and/or grain had quite a bit to do with beer, being that beer would not exist without it and all.

I think he is refering to the retro glove logo. Their current set is great and has everythign to do with with the team name from the Wheat to the brewery-esque script.

I think many are missing my original point (not that that's bad as it sparks many avenues of discussion). Although the Cowboys star IS Texas, in my opinion, the point is that it has nothing to do with cowboys.

I just think that it's lame to create a design that has everything to do with the city or region and has absolutely nothing to do with the mascot. Padres could have waves AND missions and it would be fine. But to have only waves is the easy way out for the designers.

What if:

- Detroit Lions used a car logo instead of a lion?

- Philadelphia Eagles used the Liberty Bell instead of an eagle?

- Washington Redskins used the Capitol Building instead of a Native American?

- St. Louis Rams used only the arch without the ram?

Wouldn't we agree that this is only designing half of the project and thus doing a poor job as a designer?

i think everyone understood your original point, and the counterpoint was that mascots are only 1/2 of a team name.

it's not just the saints, it's the NEW ORLEANS SAINTS.

so if a fleur de lis represents new orleans, wouldn't that mean the logo represents just as much of the team name as it would if the logo were a graphical representation of a saint?

mascots are only 1/2 of a team name... and even then, that's a bit of a stretch, in some cases. many european teams don't even include mascots in their team name.

Last time I checked, wheat and/or grain had quite a bit to do with beer, being that beer would not exist without it and all.

I think he is refering to the retro glove logo. Their current set is great and has everythign to do with with the team name from the Wheat to the brewery-esque script.

No, I was looking at this:

64.gif

You don't see the grain until you blow it up a bit:

MIL_1172.gif

The Brewers logo has two [pieces? slices? stalks? feathers?] of grain in it, so clearly, it is beer-making personified.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Portland Trailblazers  The logo has nothing to do with either the geographic location nor the team name.
he name, as Glickman noted at the time, ?reflect both the ruggedness of the Pacific Northwest and the start of a major league era in our state.? Trail Blazers (or, more properly trailblazers) is defined by Webster as ?One that blazes a trail to guide others: A pathfinder: A pioneer.? The actual name came from a practice by explorers making paths through forests and marking the paths by chopping a white ?blaze? in trees? bark so others could follow. The term ?trailblazing? has been associated today with others on the cutting edge of discovery such as space exploration, science, medicine, techology and so on.

The Portland (Oregon Trail) Trailblazers!

oregontrail.jpg

ucnu112sig.png

Portland Trailblazers  The logo has nothing to do with either the geographic location nor the team name.

Actually the Blazers' logo has more to do with the game of basketball (Look at the logo, 5 red stripes, 5 white stripes, going into a circle) than the name. hat tip to SSUR for the quote below ( http://www.ssur.org/history/PortlandTrailB...LogoHistory.htm ):

Blazers Logo Information and History

Harry Glickman?s cousin, Frank Glickman, of Boston, Massachusetts, designed the quoteoriginal logo, consisting of a straight up and down pinwheel with black on the top and red on the bottom.

It?s meaning is simple: a modern graphic interpretation of the game of basketball, five players from one side playing against five players from another.

Here's the original logo.

POR_5765.gif

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Let's look at the original MLS:

Dallas Burn: a horse

Tampa Bay Mutiny: a bat

San Jose Clash: a scorpion

Columbus Crew: three members of the Village People

Kansas City Wiz: Huh?

LOL!

Fortunately, 80% of those died a well-deserved death. That alone has raised the credibility of MLS.

mascots are only 1/2 of a team name... and even then, that's a bit of a stretch, in some cases.

Correct. My point is that designing for only 1/2 of the team name is shows a designer not doing their job. It's an easy way out and doesn't address the full scope of the project.

That being said, I have actually discussed this issue with the designer of the Padres logo and he claims that his firm did, indeed, present many concepts involving Padre related items. Unfortunately, the Padres wanted to distance themselves from the Padre image and focus soley on the city and ocean. So, in this case, it seems as though the team and not the designer, are to blame for a poor identity.

I know the astros logo currently is a star, but it has a railroad station color theme and logo style. Please tell me what a railroad station and brick red and coal black have to do with the space program?

That's always bothered me.

Once they decided not to go through with the name change, they had a serious discrepancy between the team name and the logo/color scheme/stadium.

They should have either pulled the trigger on the new name, or skipped the Olde Weste elements. They don't work together. I love the star, but the rest is incongruous.

I know that I missed this one, what were they going to change the name to?

Houston Diesel, or Houston Diesels, depending on the report you read.

I thought they were going to be like the Diamond Jacks or some other two named thing

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I could've sworn I'd heard "South Texas Railmen" being tossed around as the name the Astros were going to change to - thank God they didn't!

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

No, I was looking at this:

64.gif

You don't see the grain until you blow it up a bit:

MIL_1172.gif

The Brewers logo has two [pieces? slices? stalks? feathers?] of grain in it, so clearly, it is beer-making personified.

Argh! As a brewer of beer, and one who makes a living in the beer biz. That should be Barley at the bottom of the Brewers logo. Wheat is used in some beers as an adjunct or used in lighter summer beers. But the only 4 things that go into beer are Water, Yeast, Barley and Hops. The Brewers colors are Blue( Water), Green (Hops)in the old logo, Yellow Gold (Barley), if they dropped white and used cream then they would have yeast. Now back to the show...oh and Buffalo uses its City name as the logo for all the sports there now. :D

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

It's barley, and they're stalks.

Lets see, misrepresenting or nonrepresenting logos...

Texas Rangers

Oakland Athletics (what does an elephant have to do with anything?)

Cincinnatti Reds (what is a "red" anyway?)

Washington Nationals

Vancouver Canadians

Omaha Royals

Binghampton Mets

Lansing Lugnuts (a bolt is destintively different than a lugnut)

Boise Hawks

GreenEville Astros (it's worse than the Houston Astros logo)

Lake Elsinore Storm

Memphis Redbirds (jersey lettering is fine, but the primary logo doesn't make any sense)

Augusta Green Jackets (another one of those names with "jackets" that has to use a bee. It doesn't have a green jacket and golf clubs, though)

Detroit Pistons

New York Knicks

New Jersey Nets (odd enough, they have a basketball rim WITHOUT A NET!)

Phoenix Mercury (the planet doesn't have rings, but the logo has three?)

Green Bay Packers

New York Jets

Save the slugalo.

Ottawa Senators :wub:

Once upon a time (7th Grade!) I mailed the Sens a letter asking where did the original itineration get the name Senators. I really didn't get an answer, but I did get a ton of free stuff from them, along with an autographed picture of Alexander Daigle (hehe ^_^ ) and an honourary membership in the Sens' Jr. Fan Club. Oh well, I didn't get a straight answer, but they got a fan for life out of me!

To me the Sens fit the bill. They are called the Senators but have the image of a Roman Legionieer or Centurion or whatever they are. It is not an image of a robed Roman Senator...

For the sake of the New Orleans Hornets, eventhough I dont know if there hornets in new orleans, the current team colors are in sync with Mardigras (green, purple, and gold). Utah Jazz name doesn't make any sense. The mountains of good for the city of Utah but not the name jazz! As many people indicated, the Hornets and Jazz should switch names. Utah is the beehive state (hornets=bees) and New Orleans Jazz was the Utah jazz original name.

Let's stop complaining. A lot of teams have names and logos that dont make any sense but there nothing we can do about it.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Okay, for all of those people that are hung up on the Cowboys star, look to their website. I believe they still have an explanation of why it's a star. If not, to paraphrase...The team was originally called the Dallas Rangers. When it was discovered that there was a minor league team called the Rangers in the metroplex, the name was quickly changed to Cowboys, but the logo - the star - was kept.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived