Red Bull Cosmos?

zjac7

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about NYJ Red Bull. Short and to the point and covers all bases.

Which is why it's a terrible idea - nothing can be everything to all people, and trying to be is not only futile, it makes for very bad design.

Plus it is Soccer in the US, so no one will care.

Nonsense. Do you post such wisdom on the Major League Lacrosse threads as well?

How about NYJ Red Bull. Short and to the point and covers all bases.

Which is why it's a terrible idea - nothing can be everything to all people, and trying to be is not only futile, it makes for very bad design.

Plus it is Soccer in the US, so no one will care.

Nonsense. Do you post such wisdom on the Major League Lacrosse threads as well?

a) I was kidding

b. ) I haven't heard anyone talk about MLS in years before this stupid Red Bull controvery came about

c) How is my idea any worse than any of the other suggestions?

a) I was kidding

That's cool. But sarcasm doesn't exactly come through loud and clear on these boards. You might want to indicate when you're using it. My favorite is :P , which means "I'm giving you a hard time."

b. ) I haven't heard anyone talk about MLS in years before this stupid Red Bull controvery came about

Fine. But it may not surprise you to learn that there are many people in this country who do like soccer, even if they aren't represented in your social circles.

c) How is my idea any worse than any of the other suggestions?

Yours isn't the only silly idea that I've called a silly idea. :P

Bottom line, Red Bull has infused much-needed cash into MLS and there is talk that it might be just what the league needed to fish some European stars over to the US. Having AEG own a bunch of the teams in MLS was responsible for some of the league's stagnation. Hopefully, the fan and on-field rivalries will bleed into the front offices.

There are enough soccer fans and players in the US to fill up the MLS stadiums for every match. It's the ownership groups' jobs to give us a reason to care.

I'm excited about RBNY, I like the name and changing it now would be nothing short of ridiculous.

This is why the MLS sucks

...or, rather, you took the opportunity--in this case, a basically fabricated story--to bash on soccer, something you can't even begin to understand.

Thanks for taking the cheap way out. As usual.

Thanks for that. Well said Mockba.

MLS is as good as any soccer league, just not a big hit yet in the States. I like MLS, I just wich they'd stop trying to copy Europe with the names. oh well, play ball!

MLS is as good as any soccer league, just not a big hit yet in the States. I like MLS, I just wich they'd stop trying to copy Europe with the names. oh well, play ball!

Well, not quote.

It's getting better, but MLS isn't anywhere near a top flight league. Consider it a high-level minor league.

We'll see where they go from here. IMHO, branding in a European style is a good step in the right direction - appealing to soccer fans as opposed to whoever follows x-treme sports.

MLS's credibility skyrocketed when they replaced the "Dallas Burn" with "FC Dallas". Of course, it had a long way to go up....

I like the "Red Bull New York/New York Red Bulls" moniker they have right now, but I think the "Red Bull Cosmos" moniker could work as well; however, they might be confused with the LA Galaxy. So for now, I'll stick with "Red Bull NY/NY Red Bulls".

YOZXkBG.png?1

MLS from an identy/marketing standpoint is a joke. If you are in the US you have to brand likea team in the US. The WLAF at least had the powerhouse NFL Properties to name the teams and design uniforms/logos. Sacramento Surge for the hi-tech industry, San Anotnio Riders - Texas feel, Orlando Thunder - Florida colors, London Monarchs, gold/red/blue, etc. The MLS? A mess - Tampa Bay Mutiny? San Jose Clash? Dallas Burn to FC Dallas? Gimme a break.

Red Bull New York is a joke. It should have been the Cosmos from the start. FOr those of us that used to care about soccer, the Cosmos were the Yankees of the sport. Glory days indeed. Red Bull NY? Completely useless.

MLS from an identy/marketing standpoint is a joke. If you are in the US you have to brand likea team in the US. The WLAF at least had the powerhouse NFL Properties to name the teams and design uniforms/logos. Sacramento Surge for the hi-tech industry, San Anotnio Riders - Texas feel, Orlando Thunder - Florida colors, London Monarchs, gold/red/blue, etc. The MLS? A mess - Tampa Bay Mutiny? San Jose Clash? Dallas Burn to FC Dallas? Gimme a break.

Red Bull New York is a joke. It should have been the Cosmos from the start. FOr those of us that used to care about soccer, the Cosmos were the Yankees of the sport. Glory days indeed. Red Bull NY? Completely useless.

American nicknames just don't work in soccer. I for one applaud this new direction by MLS.

The New York Cosmos were the Yankees of American soccer? Up until recently American soccer has been a joke. Like Gothamite said, people who follow and care about the old NASL leauge are getting fewer and fewer in numbers.

Red Bull New York is the best name professional New York soccer has seen.

Agreed. I think it boils down to a majority of world soccer fans like the more traditional world soccer names (Inter, FC, etc.) where as a majority of casual, US soccer fans prefer the Americanized names. Those who do not follow soccer seriously will never "get" it.

Sorry to disagree folks, but if NFL E can brand itself in a foreign market with traditional American team branding, soccer can do the same in this country. As far as the number of people caring about the NASL, you could say the same thing about the AFL, but then again, those teams have stuck around (sans Houston Oilers). The point I am trying to make is that if the MLS wants to attract all kinds of fans, not just soccer-playing families, they are going to have to rethink names like Red Bull New York. The name doesn't fit, the logo is ugly and the kits are ugly, period. If you look at the NASL, at least some of the teams that were successful, they had some very interesting names and logos - Ft. Lauderdale and Minnesota Strikers, Tampa Bay Rowdies, New York Cosmos, and some not too traditional names that worked - Chicago Sting, Philadelphia Atoms, Dallas Tornado, Toronto Metros, Atlanta Apollos, and even back earlier - Baltimore Bays. But the Kansas City Wiz? Gimme a break. FC Dallas? Ugh. Real Salt Lake?

By the way, what's a Clevleand Stoker?

Sorry to disagree folks, but if NFL E can brand itself in a foreign market with traditional American team branding, soccer can do the same in this country. As far as the number of people caring about the NASL, you could say the same thing about the AFL, but then again, those teams have stuck around (sans Houston Oilers). The point I am trying to make is that if the MLS wants to attract all kinds of fans, not just soccer-playing families, they are going to have to rethink names like Red Bull New York. The name doesn't fit, the logo is ugly and the kits are ugly, period. If you look at the NASL, at least some of the teams that were successful, they had some very interesting names and logos - Ft. Lauderdale and Minnesota Strikers, Tampa Bay Rowdies, New York Cosmos, and some not too traditional names that worked - Chicago Sting, Philadelphia Atoms, Dallas Tornado, Toronto Metros, Atlanta Apollos, and even back earlier - Baltimore Bays. But the Kansas City Wiz? Gimme a break. FC Dallas? Ugh. Real Salt Lake?

By the way, what's a Clevleand Stoker?

But NFL Europe is taking an American sport and selling it internationally. Traditional football teams have American names, as it's an American sport. Names like Hamburg Sea Devils and Amsterdam Admirals are more "traditional" with what football is.

MLS is taking a (sort of) European sport and selling it in America. Traditonal futbol teams have euro names, as it's a euro sport. Names like FC Dallas and Inter Toronto are more "traditional" with what futbol is.

NFLE=selling an American sport partially by using American names.

MLS=selling a euro sport partially by using Euro names.

I agree that American names can work in MLS, but I like that there is a balance. I don't think they should have all American named teams change, as LA Galaxy, Kansas City Wizards, and Colorado Rapids are fine by me.

And they haven't been the Wiz since their innaguraul season (though they should've changed it to Whiz and had R Kelly be team spokesman).

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

There is no question that the shift in naming trends has brought MLS more crediblity... The $150 million Adidas deal, attendance higher than its been in years, higher TV ratings, the league will even be getting its first rights fee next year.

Their marketing has improved immensely, and their brand is more recognizable than ever before. The league is taking smaller steps than most people like to imagine; they are presently not even going after the casual American sports fan, but rather the American fan who watches Euro soccer but won't sit down to watch an MLS game. In that respect, they are succeeding, in many ways by recreating a Euro/South American atmosphere, and the team names have much to do with it.

Most American soccer fans prefer the Euro-style names (although Real Salt Lake will probably always be unpopular). Go to any US-based soccer board and you'll see that.

Once MLS has established a consistent fanbase, maybe then they'll turn their attention to the larger U.S. market, but for now, I think they have been smart in counting their steps...

Archived