Red Bull Cosmos?

zjac7

It's funny to me that a name like New York/New Jersey MetroStars is never seen as an indictment of the American style of naming...

I use that argument on soccer message boards all the time. There's a certain segment of Metro fans who bitch and moan about the new name, about "selling out" to an evil corporation.

They don't like to be reminded that the original name was a corporate shill. In their minds (and some have admitted it), they can pretend that it wasn't because they weren't aware of the product before they were aware of the team.

Still hypocritical.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the media has to do a better job at promoting the sport. I really don't know what the local news/newspapers do in the respective MLS cities, but at the very least ESPN should pimp the league a little more. After all, they DO broasdcast games.

You're right on one part: perhaps ESPN could do more to promote the sport, being that they have a stake in its success to a degree.

But it's not the job of "local news/newspapers" to promote anything. They cover the sport. It's the league's job to promote it to a point that "local news/newspapers" becomes interested in covering it further.

how about the red bull new york new jersey metrostar cosmos ?

Of Anaheim.

Seriously, IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE!!! I was funny for a few months after the name was first changed, but it's been killed. So please stop beating a dead and decomposed horse. :mad:

Agreed.

To borrow a line from Steve Martin, "it's like making Ike jokes."

:rolleyes:

I understand we get these "soccer in America" arguments every time the MLS is brought up in any form.

So many great things have been said already. I think this is one of the more calm and intelligent discussions I've read by Americans on the beautiful sport that I can remember.

Fact is, the MLS is just starting to garner attention worldwide. I listen to shows on European (and English primarily) and South American (again Brazil and Argentinian mostly) discuss MLS squads, the level of play, new soccer-only stadiums and marketing deals. You know what I never hear? Discussion on team names. No one but us seems to care.

What I'd like to see is more soccer-only facilities. The stadiums in Los Angeles, Columbus and Houston look amazing. Watching soccer at the Home Depot Center was much better than the Rose Bowl or seeing international matches at what was then Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego (which should have an MLS team I might add).

I'd also like to see the MLS (I'm gonna catch heat for this) add sponsor logos onto the front of our kits. Sign some multi-multi-million dollar deals with large corporations to sponsor the club, put games on national networks like ABC, CBS or NBC and then the clubs might start to earn enough money to maybe start attracting top tier players from around the world.

If we can raise the level of play by convincing Brazilian prodigies and young English and Italian and whoever players to come play in the states we might start to garner more attention not just on an international stage but I think Americans might start to accept the sport a little more and the kids that are growing up playing in AYSO or rec leagues will come out of those leagues playing a better brand of football so that THEY will start to be the new prodigies that the Manchester Uniteds and Real Madrids of the world start to go after.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

What I'd like to see is more soccer-only facilities. The stadiums in Los Angeles, Columbus and Houston look amazing. Watching soccer at the Home Depot Center was much better than the Rose Bowl or seeing international matches at what was then Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego (which should have an MLS team I might add).

You and MLS. That's one of the top items on their agenda. With construction on Red Bull Park to start soon, you can add NY to the list of teams with SSS.

I'd also like to see the MLS (I'm gonna catch heat for this) add sponsor logos onto the front of our kits.

Yes, yes, yes!

Right now MLS has the worst of all possible words - the ugliness of logos on the front without the benefit of being paid for having them.

Right. But as it stands, the teams can't spend that money even if they had it.

MLS is afraid of what happened to the NISL (and which also happened to the All-America Football Conference, though I doubt they're aware of it): single-team domination killed competitiveness, and with it the league.

So even when there is money to spend, watch for a salary cap. And FWIW, I think they're smart to do that. Spread the superstars around.

Yes on the sponsor logos. It's soccer plain and simple.

As for getting a higher level of player, I say baby steps. Maybe shoot for a majority of players that would be second division or bottom level first division players in Europe. Having top talent alone won't create enough support initially and thus would bankrupt the league before it had a chance to succeed.

I think I'm the only one ok with where MLS is, talent-wise, right now. The league is still in relative infancy, in world terms. I like that the league allows a lot of Americans to play professionally on a regular basis, developing the domestic player base. Think Brian McBride would be playing at Fulham without MLS? Would the USMNT have made it to the quarters (damned hand ball) in 2002 without the development of talent through MLS? There's no way.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think I'm the only one ok with where MLS is, talent-wise, right now. The league is still in relative infancy, in world terms. I like that the league allows a lot of Americans to play professionally on a regular basis, developing the domestic player base. Think Brian McBride would be playing at Fulham without MLS? Would the USMNT have made it to the quarters (damned hand ball) in 2002 without the development of talent through MLS? There's no way.

I'm with Mockba on this.

Sure, I'm no real judge of soccer talent since I'm a relatively new fan of the game. But I think if the league were to become oversaturated with expensive, European it would run the risk of mirroring what was wrong with the NASL.

While that was an entertaining league, its business model wasn't worth emulating.

Oh, I'm ok with where they are now. I was speaking in terms of future steps, but those are a way off.

As I mentioned above, previous leagues (soccer and football) went down in flames because one team was too dominant. I don't want MLS to follow that path, so I'm very ok with where they are now.

Better minor-league level pro soccer than no pro soccer at all.

I think the sponsorships on the jerseys would be a step in the right direction for the MLS. After all, we're the only ones who care that passionately about such things. Anyway the one thing that really surprises me (and I doubt many non-soccer fans realize) is that the United States is ranked 4th in the FIFA rankings. That tells me that the US has talented players. I think an added revenue stream would help keep them here and enable the league to draw other players. It's a correct assumption that players like Wayne Rooney won't be wearing a LA Galaxy jersey anytime soon, but the level of play could soon rival most international leagues.

The was a great article on Fox Sports soccer about the soccer-only stadiums and how almost every team will have one in the next few years. This is a huge step and makes the MLS more credible.

What do you guys think of expansion (to what cities) and relegation for the future of American (and obviously Canadian) Soccer and what role the USL teams would play (if any)?

Also - since this has seem to have gone so off topic, should we start a new thread in the General Sports section? I'm enjoying all of the opinions and disscussion on the subject of the MLS vs. its European counterparts.

Sadly, pro/rel will probably not happen any time soon. It's not in the American mindset to support anything "minor league," it seems, though it seems to me it would be interesting to try to sell the "win or go down" angle a bit. Plus, the fact that MLS has franchises rather than true clubs makes it that much more difficult a concept to sell to the owners of the teams.

I still think you're getting way ahead of yourself with your statement that "the level of play could soon rival most international leagues." Unless you mean twenty years from now, maybe, you're pipe-dreaming. And that #4 ranking? It sounds nice, it's great to think about, but it's a bit warped.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think the MLS started out with an American mindset, but is slowing converting towards a more international mindset (as evidence by some of the team names).

I've been a fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates all my life and there are times that I wish there was some sort of relegation in MLB because of the financial disparity between clubs. Relegation makes so much sense and it (hopefully) prevents teams from stringing together 13 losing seasons in a row. I think that relegation in the MLS is a long way off (if it ever happens at all), but I think it would be a step in the right direction if soccer continues to grow in the US.

I still think MLS teams could rival European clubs, but maybe in 10 years at the earliest. After all, D.C. United and the L.A. Galaxy have won the CONCACAF Champions' Cup. If and when the MLS teams have good showings on a consistant basis, then I'll believe that they're ready to rival Europe.

Relagation would add a whole nother great level to the MLS. Would make it much more exciting.

In a perfect world, would love to see the USA develop multiple, regional leagues and treat them like Europe does with their various country leagues and then the Champions' League and UEFA Cup for the all of Europe.

Relagation would add a whole nother great level to the MLS. Would make it much more exciting.

In a perfect world, would love to see the USA develop multiple, regional leagues and treat them like Europe does with their various country leagues and then the Champions' League and UEFA Cup for the all of Europe.

This is where the Europeans have a big advantage over any US sports league. Towards the end of the season, just about every team is playing for something. Whether it's staying out of the last three places for relegation or playing for tounament & league qualifications, most teams aren't just playing out the remainder of the season. West Ham United is currently 10th, but has a chance to win the FA Cup. Arsenal has a chance to win the Champions League and 15th place Middlesbrough can take home the UEFA Cup. Even though Chelsea won the Premiership title, there is still a lot to play for with these teams.

Relegation makes little sense for a league that is not on sound financial footing.

I agree that it would be bad for a handful of teams to dominate, then again, I'm quite wary of MLS over-expansion. I think Toronto will be a great market, but then again, how are Colorado, Kansas City and Salt Lake doing?

I think that keeping the amount of teams down will help foster more passionate rivalries from teams facing each other more and maybe get fans more excited about their squad's postseason chances since, presumably, there's a better chance of success for every team in a smaller league. Then again, it's pretty much been DC, the Galaxy, the Fire, and then everybody else.

Archived