Red Bull Cosmos?

zjac7

I think the MLS is working the way it is now. Regular TV stations like NBC, ABC and/or CBS (Fox too since there's already FSC?) covering matches during the season would definitely help more.

I think the sponsor ads on jerseys would help but as said before the money situation it would create could lead to some of the same problems the NASL had. If they can mirror something that will work in America that would be great.

Promotion/Relegation is something I'd love too but if they introduce it too soon it could destroy the league. A lot of cities aren't willing to build the facilities to house minor league (or lower) teams. Remember too that the English FA's promotion/relegation goes all the way to the bottom and by "bottom" I mean like local YMCA rec leagues.

Is a TV station willing to sign a deal with a team that could be playing in the 4th or 5th division in a few years? Would a city build an SSS for hundreds of millions of dollars with the risk that the team could fall a few levels and see attendance dwindle because Americans aren't ready yet to support a 2nd or 3rd division team yet?

They'd need to set up a system like Europe that works for the American fanbase. Perhaps 60 teams, 20 at each level with the MLS and top Division 1 teams getting the initial Premiership draw. Worst 2 teams at the bottom level just get folded or relegated (like England) to a lower level rec-like league.

Yes Promotion/Relegation could work one day but it's just not quite time.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is why the MLS sucks

...or, rather, you took the opportunity--in this case, a basically fabricated story--to bash on soccer, something you can't even begin to understand.

Thanks for taking the cheap way out. As usual.

This sounds better: Soccer is a great sport, MLS just sucks at it.

there definitely needs to be a "game of the week" - there was for a long time on FSC, but then again, that is channel 401 on my digital cable...ain't exactly network or even ESPN (which is just as good as network nowadays, see MNF to ESPN as an example). hell, I'll even take a game on a weird night - Thursday Night Futbol anyone? - if it gets the sport into the limelight at a regular time. Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel is a good thing - again, creatures of habit, etc.

its no real surprise the US team is in the top 10 - a lot of top players playing in Europe, and a lot of talent elsewhere. The three sports the US really doesn't participate in that many other places do - soccer, rugby, and cricket - could probably be dominated if we put our mind to it simply because we have a lot of people and a lot of talented athletes. the NFL certainly doesn't have as many foreign players as even the MLS or certainly the big European leagues, but while that's partially because *nobody else* plays gridiron it's impressive that such a big league (not to mention college!) is supported by one (huge) country.

right now, I'm not for relegation. The jump is too big, there aren't enough established clubs in the second tier to support it. I'd love to see the Portland Timbers in MLS...as a proper MLS franchise in a real stadium. But as the A-league champions jumping up into MLS as they are now? *shoots self* There's a reason the Scottish Premiership (*giggles*) doesn't demote teams every year, and its the reason why MLS shouldn't too.

I know we're infants in it too, but I'd love for us to make more of the North/Central American cup that we play in with the teams from Mexico, etc. I know we send two teams into that, but I don't hear about it even online. god, makes you wonder about the eventual possibility of the MLS champ winning the copa and playing the Champions League holder for the World Club Championship.

the MLS made some strides in the season starting in '03 after the last World Cup...I hope they make the same stride after this year's big tournament.

harperdc.gif

There's a reason the Scottish Premiership (*giggles*) doesn't demote teams every year, and its the reason why MLS shouldn't too.

Don't they? Dundee was relegated last year, I didn't think it was a special case.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

There's a reason the Scottish Premiership (*giggles*) doesn't demote teams every year, and its the reason why MLS shouldn't too.

Don't they? Dundee was relegated last year, I didn't think it was a special case.

SPL does have relegation. dunno how many teams, but it does...

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

That's a different story entirely. That can happen at various levels in the English leagues, too. One of the teams in Conference South was kept out of the playoffs this season because their ground isn't up to Conference standards.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Yes Promotion/Relegation could work one day but it's just not quite time.

I think it's going to be tough to introduce later. You kinda have to introduce it right away.

Columbus would be pretty pissed, having put up money for the Crew's SSS, if they got relegated out of MLS now.

Archived