OLN's new hockey graphics

slapshot

OLN has changed its on-screen graphics for the NHL Playoffs. No longer relegated to the bottom, the score & time info has been moved up to the top of the screen, complete with team logos. The font has also been changed, from some form of Franklin Gothic to a combination of Eurostile and Univers.

Also, for the Detroit-Edmonton game, the commentators are the Bruins' regular NESN broadcasters, Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley (or Bob Beers, but I'm pretty sure it's Brickley).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it much better than what it was.

Although I think Edwards could do a better job calling the game. He seems to go silent a lot to where the call of the game becomes chappy. I wouldn't expect Emrick and Davidson to do much of the first round. Both have to cover the Devils-Rangers series for FSNY and MSG. They might do some of the Philly-Buffalo series as it isn't much travel from NYC.

Although I think Edwards could do a better job calling the game. He seems to go silent a lot to where the call of the game becomes chappy. I wouldn't expect Emrick and Davidson to do much of the first round. Both have to cover the Devils-Rangers series for FSNY and MSG. They might do some of the Philly-Buffalo series as it isn't much travel from NYC.

The graphics are a lot better, and man do I agree with you about the play-by-play guy. He goes silent far too often, and he doesn't seem to get too excited.

The graphics are a lot better, and man do I agree with you about the play-by-play guy. He goes silent far too often, and he doesn't seem to get too excited.

Jack Edwards used to be a local sportscaster. He got an opportunity to go national, and he was a studio analyst (as well as part-time SportsCenter anchor) on ESPN. When he started doing game-location reporting, he was mostly an interviewer, and somewhat of a color man. I don't remember him doing primary play-by-play broadcasts, so maybe he's still stuck in color man mode. That, or he'd rather let the play dictate itself rather than he talk over it.

They hired a local crew to do the game, and they did not broadcast it it the typical OLN style where they show more of the ice and less of the crowd. There were no regular OLN employees producing the telecast.

And teh new scoreboard is WAY too big. That was one of the only things I actually liked about OLN, the much smaller than normal score overlay.

I like Jack edwards as a play by play guy, the silence is fine with me. I'd Rather that than inane

ramblings, obvious observations and just plain dumb things coming out of ones mouths...cough-(Joe Buck)-cough-(John Madden) - cough (Tim McCarver)

I hope OLN uses the Buffalo on-air team, Rick Jeanerett is the best in the business.

I agree with the people who say:

1) The score graphics are way too big and not transparent enough.

2) Gamecam was zoomed in too far. I'm generally not impressed with the hockey camerawork I've seen from OLN (though it varies from crew to crew). They should hire some of the FSN North people, who seem to do a better job at framing from all practice they get with the Wild and Gophers

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

For the Philly game it is better. They moved the score bar up a but to where it doesn't take up as much room.

How's this 3 games on OLN, 3 Overtimes. Although one of those games was a CBC simulcast.

How bout that hit on RJ? Damn!

For the Philly game it is better. They moved the score bar up a but to where it doesn't take up as much room.

How's this 3 games on OLN, 3 Overtimes. Although one of those games was a CBC simulcast.

That's probably the worse thing about OLN covering the NHL Playoffs. For one, you only get one option, instead of the two you got with ESPN. Then, when the first game of the network's doubleheader goes into extra time, the fans of the later game have to wait until the first game is over.

It was a nice touch showing a live look-in during the intermission....

Archived