OLN's new hockey graphics

slapshot

To be honest, I don't like the new graphics from an aestetic viewpoint. Moving them up to the top is a good thing, but I liked the motif they had before. The futuristic look just seems played-out to me.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the Philly game it is better. They moved the score bar up a but to where it doesn't take up as much room.

How's this 3 games on OLN, 3 Overtimes. Although one of those games was a CBC simulcast.

That's probably the worse thing about OLN covering the NHL Playoffs. For one, you only get one option, instead of the two you got with ESPN. Then, when the first game of the network's doubleheader goes into extra time, the fans of the later game have to wait until the first game is over.

It was a nice touch showing a live look-in during the intermission....

Maybe my memory is fuzzy since it has been a while, but I don't remember there being games on both ESPN and ESPN2 at the same time. If there was, it was early on, and not in the couple years before the lockout.

For the Philly game it is better. They moved the score bar up a but to where it doesn't take up as much room.

How's this 3 games on OLN, 3 Overtimes. Although one of those games was a CBC simulcast.

That's probably the worse thing about OLN covering the NHL Playoffs. For one, you only get one option, instead of the two you got with ESPN. Then, when the first game of the network's doubleheader goes into extra time, the fans of the later game have to wait until the first game is over.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy since it has been a while, but I don't remember there being games on both ESPN and ESPN2 at the same time. If there was, it was early on, and not in the couple years before the lockout.

It was in the first round, maybe the second round too, if two teams on the same coast were playing at the same time. ESPN usually carried the team playing closest to New York (Devils, Flyers, Bruins, Red Wings), while "The Deuce" got some other game, like Tampa or Toronto or Ottawa, in the 7pm slot.

It was in the first round, maybe the second round too, if two teams on the same coast were playing at the same time. ESPN usually carried the team playing closest to New York (Devils, Flyers, Bruins, Red Wings), while "The Deuce" got some other game, like Tampa or Toronto or Ottawa, in the 7pm slot.

Though if I remember right--it has been almost 2 years since a Stanley Cup Playoffs--some of that did change when ESPN got the nonexclusive rights to broadcast NBA playoff games. If there was a conflict, the NBA game was on ESPN, while the NHL game would be relegated to ESPN2. Conflicts were reduced by the fact that TNT also had rights to show NBA games.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

i regularly watch hockey, and i cannot tell who is on the power play just by glancing over at the scoreboard. it just says "power play" in the top left with no designation for who is on it. of course, if i watch for a second or two i can tell, but the casual fan or newcomer who the league is trying to draw would be really out of the loop.

i regularly watch hockey, and i cannot tell who is on the power play just by glancing over at the scoreboard. it just says "power play" in the top left with no designation for who is on it. of course, if i watch for a second or two i can tell, but the casual fan or newcomer who the league is trying to draw would be really out of the loop.

The OLN score board does tell you. It has the team color highligh the PP clock as well as the team that has the power play.

The OLN score board does tell you. It has the team color highligh the PP clock as well as the team that has the power play.

Yes it does, but it's not well done. It's much more difficult to tell who's on the power play at a quick glance. I like NBC's scoreboard a lot. They've got a nice system, could be a little smaller, but not bad. I think the Fox Sports channels have pretty good score overlays too.

I think it's funny OLN "borrowed" the old ESPN sytle of putting the first name normal and the last name bolded, with no space between.

I hope OLN uses the Buffalo on-air team, Rick Jeanerett is the best in the business.

You've gotta be kidding me. This guy makes every Sabres goal sound like Game 7 of the finals. I guess you need something to be excited about when your city has never won a championship.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I hope OLN uses the Buffalo on-air team, Rick Jeanerett is the best in the business.

You've gotta be kidding me. This guy makes every Sabres goal sound like Game 7 of the finals. I guess you need something to be excited about when your city has never won a championship.

Buffalo-Philadelphia pissing match is sooooo last week. You should come by more often.

I got the hockey package this year and I agree that the Buffalo's on air-team is one of the best! By the way can John Davidson ever shut up while the game is being played. I don't mind his analysis but his constant talk over the play-by-play sucks! By the way Philly fan how did that hit feel?

Where OLN is located in my cable channels, I would never even THINK of flipping to it, unless my team was playing on it......

OLN is awful.

The camera is too zoomed in, and the graphics are big and bulky.

Then again, it's STILL better than NBC. I watched the NJ/NYR game, and it felt like I was watchin the game from section 313. I'd be suprised if a total of 3 "casual fans" actually flipped through and STOPPED on NBC to watch that game. Awful camera work.

SigReflect.png

The Flyers will be lucky to play 7 games this postseason, the way they're playing tonight.....

Where OLN is located in my cable channels, I would never even THINK of flipping to it, unless my team was playing on it......

OLN is awful.

The camera is too zoomed in, and the graphics are big and bulky.

Then again, it's STILL better than NBC. I watched the NJ/NYR game, and it felt like I was watchin the game from section 313. I'd be suprised if a total of 3 "casual fans" actually flipped through and STOPPED on NBC to watch that game. Awful camera work.

The Cameras at the meadowlands are at the bottom of the second level, not at the top of the arena. NBC had it zoomed out a bit. Personally I like that because you see more ice and more of the play.

I got the hockey package this year and I agree that the Buffalo's on air-team is one of the best! By the way can John Davidson ever shut up while the game is being played. I don't mind his analysis but his constant talk over the play-by-play sucks! By the way Philly fan how did that hit feel?

Probably felt about as good as Brett Hull's foot did when it was in the crease while scoring the cup winning goal. And while were on the subject of feet, how about that Scott Norwood?

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

When my friends and I get together to watch hockey on the dish, we always say "See if Buffalo is on! That announcer is the best!"

He reminds me of the North Stars hall-of-fame announcer Al Shaver.

I'm wearing my Sabres jersey today in honor of the pasting they put on the Flyers last night.

Brett Hull? Scott Norwood? Someone needs to set their alarm clock. It appears they are sleeping though the new decade the rest of us have moved on to.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Probably felt about as good as Brett Hull's foot did when it was in the crease while scoring the cup winning goal. And while were on the subject of feet, how about that Scott Norwood?

Oh, you're just mad because Bob Clarke didn't know how to build a post-strike hockey club. Hatcher, Rathje, and that cheap-shot artist Gauthier are nothing more than turnstiles. BTW, it was really classy of your coach Captain Kangaroo to tell everyone to "f*** off" at the post-game press conference. I guess it's par for the course...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Oh, you're just mad because Bob Clarke didn't know how to build a post-strike hockey club. Hatcher, Rathje, and that cheap-shot artist Gauthier are nothing more than turnstiles. BTW, it was really classy of your coach Captain Kangaroo to tell everyone to "f*** off" at the post-game press conference. I guess it's par for the course...

Don't even talk about the war of words between the coaches, Hitch didn't start that at all, your big mouth coach, who's never won anything by the way, made the first comment.

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Don't even talk about the war of words between the coaches, Hitch didn't start that at all, your big mouth coach, who's never won anything by the way, made the first comment.

And what have the Flyers won? Hitchcock won a cup but that was in Dallas. He has done nothing in Philly.

Face the facts Bob Clarke is a terrible GM.

Archived