Local Semi-Pro Baseball

Fred T. Jane

Howdy folks,

I was reading some newspapers from 1940 and was reminded that there were 2 Semi-Pro leagues that were quite active from the 1920s through the late 1950s. They were the Evangeline League and the Teche League, which was an offshoot of the Evangeline League. The quality of play was decent, and most people compare it to AA Minor Leagues today.

With that said, I doubt I'll ever get around to finishing it, but I'm aiming to give them uniforms if they were still playing today. Some would have modern designs, whilst others would probably keep a traditional look.

I don't have the list of all of the teams offhand, but here's a few of the teams from the Teche league circa 1940:

Abbeville Aces

Crowley Millers (Rice Milling)

Erath Crusaders

Weeks Island Red Sox

Youngsville Cardinals

If anyone would like to jump in and do one, feel free to do so. First up for me is the Abbeville Aces, which were the perrenial doormats. I figured I'd go traditional for them, so here's the logo, and wordmarks for the home and road jerseys

Logo

roundel.jpg

Home Wordmark

homewordmark.JPG

Road Wordmark

awaywordmark.JPG

C&C Welcome as always. :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I'm diggin these, I really like the "Aces" Script and the "Abbeville" is pretty awsome too. The red pinstripes look a little weird maybe try blue? Would you be doing jerseys for them? Overall a great concept.

DRew

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

OK, I finished the home jerseys. I changed the red pinstriping to blue to see what the difference would be. C&C is welcome. :)

Aces%20Home.JPG

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived