NBA Dragons

Guest darkpiranha

Guest darkpiranha

Hey... sorry if this question was discussed before, but I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Anyway, way back when the Toronto Raptors were first being born, team officials said that they at first wanted to call the team the "Dragons", but were told by NBA officials that that name wasn't available because a current team was going to be changing its name to that.

Well, it's a decade or so later and I've never heard anything further about this.

At first, I was sure it was going to be Golden State changing to the Dragons because of the Oriental makeup of the population and just that Golden State Dragons sounded cool.

My other option was the Clippers changing their name. LA Dragons sounded cool as well. I could see a hot gold-red-green color palette with a Chinese-style dragon.

Anyone have an info about this?

Thanks in advance

There are some old rejected logos over on logoserver.com, and IIRC, one of them is for the "New Jersey Swamp Dragons" or the "New Jersey Fire Dragons." It was basically the same concept as was being proposed for Toronto, only with "Swamp"/"Fire" added. I'm kinda glad they ditched that one and stayed the Nets.

Here's the page: http://www.logoserver.com/NBA4.html

If "Dragons" and "Raptors" are too close for your tastes, you maybe need to think about just giving up on professional sports.

Lions, Bengals, Jaguars, Panthers... you must be pulling your hair out over those.

Blue Jays, Orioles, Cardinals.

Red Sox, White Sox.

Maple Leafs, Canucks, Canadiens.

I believe another reason for the Nets proposed name change was to honor Drazen Petrovic.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah the Nets were considering becoming the Swamp Dragons. That's how pathetic the team and organization was back then. I am so glad that they didn't become the Swamp Dragons. That sounds stupid, like something an A team would use in baseball. Nets sounds way better anyway.

A little OT but does anyone know if the Raptors are getting new home unis next year since they're trying to eliminate the purple? Pantone?

I know that the red alts became the primary road unis this year, with the purple/black unis relegated to alts. Also, the new court, IIRC, is primary black, red, silver, and white with no purple at all (except the centre court logo). It would make sense to redesign the home whites in a red/black/silver scheme to match the road.

Dragons was also one of the 3 possibilities for Charlotte's new franchise along with Bobcats and Flight.Β 

The Bobcats had a pdf media release when they started up, and it gave a few logos for the Flight and Dragons, as well as some unused Bobcat logos.

Some of the dragon logos were pretty good too.

I've seen one of them as someone's av pic here, but can't remember whose.

Kinda looks like a tribal tattoo.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Dragons was rejected because of KKK overtones, but ironically Wizards was not rejected for the same reason.

Since when did dragons and wizards have to do with cross-burning and racial/religious hatre crimes? Both are horrible names for any type of sports franchise. But I don't see any connections here.

And for the record, crime in DC went UP after the name change - proving why it was necessary to begin with. Switching back to Bullets wouldn't hurt anyone or anything in our Nation's capital. In fact, it might even help the team and the city. It's worth a second shot, IMO.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Since when did dragons and wizards have to do with cross-burning and racial/religious hatre crimes? Both are horrible names for any type of sports franchise. But I don't see any connections here.

Dragon and Grand Wizard are ranks in the KKK.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

I believe the Dragons nickname was a finalist when the Vancouver NBA franchise had 'Mounties' rejected, and before they finally settled on 'Grizzlies'. It would've suited this area rather well.

>sigh<... damn NBA. I miss my team.

According to Wikipedia, the Washington Bullets considered the name dragons as well. A good choice since they play in DC's Chinatown. The name was rejected since it would have Ku Klux Klan conotation. So they went with Wizards... yeah that makes sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Bullets

Beware unsourced Wikipedia entries....

Archived