Rejected/Unused Logos

impulsive106

A few weeks ago, I perused through a couple of sites if there were any new logos out, and found something that may be of interest to you guys. I searched through the board's archives and found nothing on this, so here it is:

SBJ200402231701-02.gif

The one right after their current primary is mind-blowing, my favorite out of the bunch. The DN logo looks great too, probably my second favorite. The others are pretty marginal IMO.

Something else I found while trying to find rejected logos:

logomorph.gif

I'm not too fond of the updated Bucco Bruce, he could be cleaned up a bit (probably just the image quality), but the B-shield looks worthy of implementation.

Here are a couple of other links I've found on the subject:

Houston Texans Proposed Logos

Logo06.jpg

^This one right here would probably work well as a Cowboys secondary.

NBA Failed Logos

SanAntonioSpurs95.gif

^This Spurs logo looks great, but is understandable as to why it wasn't used (no spur relevance).

Anyone else know of any more?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this in another thread earlier, but it is more appropriate here. Interesting Tampa Bay Buccaneers logo from the Osaki Design website:

animated4frame0068rj.png

Perhaps they were considering orange helmets at some point?

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

never saw those unrealized logos for the Bucs ... i gotta say I think that their identity is one of the most solid examples of an illustrated rendering done in that style without sacrificing any of its seriousness or tenacity. That updated Bruce is far too Disney, and the skull and bones without the flag is too straightforward. Their identity system is second only to the Texans in my mind.

I posted this in another thread earlier, but it is more appropriate here. Interesting Tampa Bay Buccaneers logo from the Osaki Design website:

animated4frame0068rj.png

Perhaps they were considering orange helmets at some point?

That logo seems like one of the first designs Osaki made for the Bucs:

1. Whole flag - the torn flag seems like it would be derivative of this and not the other way around

2. The orange background - maybe it's just for online purposes, but if not, Osaki probably wanted to lean toward their earlier look, but I guess the higher-ups wanted to ditch the creamsicle completely

I have to agree with js ° though, the Bucs' look is the picture of how to rebrand a football team.

Here are some more designs I've found (mostly collegiate):

University of North Texas

I came across this link on a Mean Green message board; the logos were captured from a cameraphone. The best one IMO:

IMAGE_059.jpg

Oakland University

logo.jpg

A local university...I didn't know they existed until their logo came out. None of the prototypes are that good, and it's obvious at which one the focus group leaned toward. Here's their current logo for reference:

OklandGoldenGrizzlies.GIF

Does anyone have the NJ Devils rejected logo?

I'm not too fond of the updated Bucco Bruce, he could be cleaned up a bit (probably just the image quality), but the B-shield looks worthy of implementation.

According to an article I read in a Tampa newspaper, at the time the Bucs redesigned, the Ravens were using their shield logo. It was felt that the logos were too similar, so the Bucs rejected the B-sheild.

There have also been the New Jersey Swamp Dragons, the wolf for the Quebec Nordiques, the eagle head for the Washington Capitals, the aborted 49ERS helmet, the secondary New England Patriots logo that was supposed to have been voted on by Foxboro Stadium applause at some home game in the 80s, and, of course, Houston 1836.

Oddly enough, New Era makes Houston Astros caps with their 1974 aborted logo with the A and the three parallelograms:

168.jpg

There have also been the New Jersey Swamp Dragons, the wolf for the Quebec Nordiques, the eagle head for the Washington Capitals, the aborted 49ERS helmet, the secondary New England Patriots logo that was supposed to have been voted on by Foxboro Stadium applause at some home game in the 80s, and, of course, Houston 1836.

Oddly enough, New Era makes Houston Astros caps with their 1974 aborted logo with the A and the three parallelograms:

168.jpg

That is wacked out!! I like it!!

168.jpg

ive seen it before. it looks cool for 1974, but the logo does not translate well to modern times. good move to decide to not to use that logo on a white hat

There have also been the New Jersey Swamp Dragons, the wolf for the Quebec Nordiques, the eagle head for the Washington Capitals, the aborted 49ERS helmet, the secondary New England Patriots logo that was supposed to have been voted on by Foxboro Stadium applause at some home game in the 80s.

When the Pats won their first title in 2001, I read an article about their history in their Sports Illustrated Commemorative Issue. In it, it is mentioned that during halftime of a game in the 70's or 80's, one of the Sullivan sons brought out a float or something that had a proposed new logo for the Pats. The fans reportedly booed so much that the idea was scrapped and the logo was never seen again. The article didn't mention what the logo looked like. Have any of you ever seen it or heard anything about it?

168.jpg

That is wacked out!! I like it!!

Disco Stu loves the Stros!

Man I hated the 70's

i've got a boat load of rejected titans logos on my computer. and i used to have several medium-res full-color rejected mavs logos, and i'm kicking myself for not keeping them.

one of them was even red primarily, which would be weird.

and that texans logo looks sorta brokeback to me.

i think i faintly remember seeing some scrapped T-wolves logos when they were being developed. i have no idea where i saw them, or if it was back in 1990 (probably not, i was 5) or more recently. i think one of them was a wolf running to the right. i also think i remember some golden state logos that had lightning bolts as the downstrikes of the W, like forming the letter out of lightning. maybe i made these up in my head, or dreamt about them, or something stupid, but if anyone has heard of these i would like to see them.

Archived