Offensive sports nicknames/logos

mcrosby

what about the washington bullets? or the colt'45's? and others like that....

i think there's a minor league baseball team called the canons....

They were named the Potomac Cannons. They are now defunct, but how the hell is that offensive? It's referring to the Revolutionary War.

Civil War! Woodbridge,where they (now the Potomac Nationals)play is less then ten miles form the site of Bull Run.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the mighty ducks is offensive because the movie sucked balls.

^^^Most offensive thing in this post^^^

The first one is a modern classic among sports flicks.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

The New Jersey Devils are definitely not offensive to me, but go to a church and they'll be angry I guess.

Is it time again already for some education? I feel like I just posted this.

(Oh wait! I did... HERE.)

The NJ Devils have nothing to do with the Antichrist. (Nor do the Duke Blue Devils, or Tampa Bay Devil Rays.) It's New Jersey folklore; seeing as how you list your location as "Nuevo Brunswick, Nuevo Jersey", you could probably find someone to get you up to speed on the specifics of the Jersey Devil.

The horse is dead; put the whip down... :mad:

EyeAmRaps88 may know the story of the Jersey Devil, but that doesn't mean religious nut bags will not be offended by it. When some people are trying to promote an agenda, they don't let little things like "facts" get in the way.

Even though the name was derived from the mythical Jersey Devil, the team's logos and imagery have nothing to do with that. Instead, the team uses the stereotypical horns and pointy tail of the Antichrist. Therefore, even though I think taking any offense to the name would be unwarranted, there is some basis for Christians to be offended by the name and imagery.

David Puddy: "Gotta support the team."

38m.jpg

nah, I know that the New Jersey Devils have nothing to do with Satan or the Antichrist. It's the crazy people that force their religion on you that would believe otherwise. That's what I meant.

cleveland indians - doesn't offend me personally but they should change their name because it is blatantly ignorant. Indians are from India. using the word Indian to describe a native american is borderline racist imo. it's like calling a european person chinese - when they found america they were trying to find a better route to india and thought they had found india and indians so the word stuck. "native indians" is even more dumb and makes no sense. infact "native americans" while a respectful term for the uneducated to use, is actually not correct either, technically they are not native to america, they were here before it was named america by the white man.

Correct, they are not native to America, but not because they were here before it was known as "America." There is evidence that those referred to as "Native Americans" came to North America from eastern Asia, back when Siberia and Alaska were connected.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

nah, I know that the New Jersey Devils have nothing to do with Satan or the Antichrist. It's the crazy people that force their religion on you that would believe otherwise. That's what I meant.

Thats the whole point, even though everyone understand the origins of the team name, it doesn't stop to crazies from turning it in to an issue on baseless or pseudo baseless facts.

it all comes down to political correctness being the death of free speech.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I know this is not offensive, but goes along with weird names. There's a town in northern Illinois called Freeport and the mascot for the High School is the Pretzels!!

The Freeport Pretzels. I also believe there's another high school near there with the nickname of the Bunnies. I don't think that's offensive at all, unless they use the Playboy logo!!!

I know this is not offensive, but goes along with weird names. There's a town in northern Illinois called Freeport and the mascot for the High School is the Pretzels!!

The Freeport Pretzels. I also believe there's another high school near there with the nickname of the Bunnies. I don't think that's offensive at all, unless they use the Playboy logo!!!

The Bunnies team is actually in Central Illinois. They are the Fischer Bunnies. The Junior High's name is the Fischer Scotties (like the little dog). We played them quite a few times over the years.

bunnie.gif

Also near where I grew up is the Hoopeston Area Cornjerkers. That could be offensive I guess to some.

Jerky1.jpg

I wish I were making this up.

There is always the Butte (MT) Pirates as well. But that could be a joke. Not sure.

And there is my alma mater named the Redmen. Featured in the November 19, 2005 issue of SI under the "Signs of the impending apocalypse" because we changed our name to the Red Men and the NCAA removed us from the list of banned institutions.

I always thought the Chicago Fire was in poor taste; they named a team after a huge disaster that destroyed the city and killed a couple hundred people and left something like 90000 homeless. I know it's far in the past, but still. the New Orleans Katrinas or the New York 9/11s would not be welcomed, I'm sure.

I don't think Chicagoans really think of it as being tasteless. Unlike 9/11, it wasn't an act of war on the city, and unlike Katrina, it happened so long ago that nobody has really been directly harmed by it. The Great Chicago Fire has become kind of a badge of honor for the city, because in the face of being utterly decimated, look how great Chicago is today.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just an interesting point.

When the Cubs moved their low A minor league affiliate to Peoria, they kept the name Peoria Chiefs, but instead dipicted it as a Fire Chief using a Dalmation logo in Fireman gear.

It might have had something to do with the fact that the old logo was a cardinal too...

Actually most people I've talked to didn't like the change (such as myself, but I'm also a Cards fan, so changing affiliates to the Cubs was going to make me upset anyway.)...but hey it gives them something else to complain about besides the ILLOGICAL FARKING PALM TREES :cursing: at the ballpark.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Re offensive mascots, it's not the use of a certain name in itself necessarily, it's how they're portrayed. Chief Wahoo - clearly offensive. Washington Redskins, Florida State, Atlanta Braves, et al - respectfully portrayed, therefore not offensive.

As a huge Braves fan, I would hate for any logo/name change.. but I have to admit, the tomahawk chop is a little un-PC.

But the name Redskins definitely takes the cake on this one.

How about the East High Orientals of Rochester, NY? There used to be four high schools, each representing a different region of the world. I believe "Occidentals" and "Continentals" were two of the other schools' nicknames, but East is the only school of the original four still around. It was obviously named for the region, not the ethnic groups of Asia, but still....

the name Redskins definitely takes the cake on this one.

Can anyone explain to me how the name Redskins is offensive to Native Americans if it's name is for the red paint worn on the face when going into battle? I have yet to read anything addressing this issue. All I read is that it's offensive without explanation. Isn't it the equivilant to naming a team the Camouflage?

Yuma High School in Yuma, Arizona are the Criminals.  THis is because the state pen is located there.  Eventhough it's politically incorect I just love this name. crimhead01b.gif

I absolutely thought you had to be kidding...

You're not.

nope, they have been a staple in Arizona for many years

Isn't Idaho the Vandals?  Vandals are bad, aren't they?

Vandals aren't any better or worse than a team called the Spartans or the Trojans. The Vandals were an East Germanic people who invaded the Roman Empire in the 5th century AD and sacked the city of Rome. They set up an empire in Spain and parts of North Africa, around what was Carthage.

While I'm at it...

Even though the name was derived from the mythical Jersey Devil, the team's logos and imagery have nothing to do with that. Instead, the team uses the stereotypical horns and pointy tail of the Antichrist.

OBJECTION!! [sustained!]

Various historical accounts of the Jersey Devil's appearance include both curled horns and a long, pointed tail - a trait shared in lore by the Jersey Devil and Satan. Of course, these accounts are coming from people who believed they saw the Jersey Devil. The descendants of most of these people live in the Pinelands. We call them "Pineys". We stay away most of the time, and you should do the same - especially if you're not vaccinated. :P

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived