NASCAR Track Design

beansdooma

C2C- The biggest thing about NASCAR cars not handling on Performance road courses is the 3400 lb weight minimum. I can imagine GT cars are considerably lighter and are much more capable of maintaining corner speeds than the heavy stock cars are.

That has a lot to do with it. Another huge aspect is that NASCAR limits technology so the cars don't have the high-end breaking systems or traction control (at least they aren't supposed to...).

For the most part, NASCAR runs technology from the 50's and 60's. The GT cars and the open wheel series are much more modern.

Also, stock cars are considerably larger (wider) than GT or IRL cars, so the tracks like Laguna Seca and Road America are a little tight to pass on.

The road courses that NASCAR does run on are a little wider.

I haven't been to Watkins Glen, but the race at Infineon is a lot of fun to go to and watch. I highly recommend it, especially if you have never been to a road course race.

Hey yall from what I keep on reading is that the fact NASCAR runs on mostly ovals is that back in the early days of the sport they ran on dirt, most of them where old horse tracks.

PS Back in the early days they raced ther on private cars they use on the streetand that is why they run Chargers,Fusions etc. becuse there is a saing for these maufactors "Race on sunday sale on Monday.

Archived