Twins inch closer

bucskick20

The Twins Stadium deal as now passed the Minnesota House of Reps. and is on it's way to the Minnesota State senate. If it passes the Senate, Governer Tim Pawlenty has promised to sign the bill. Here is a look at what would be the new home of the Twins...

wjfmom.jpg

wjfntd.jpg

wjg8dv.jpg

wjg8xk.jpg

256dy87.jpg

The stadium looks great, but methinks open air will be bad in April.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I know those drawings are at least a couple years old, but if that's still the design, it's nice to see that it's getting away from the whole retro trend. Don't get me wrong, I like the retro stadiums and I'm very happy that Tiger Stadium's replacement was a retro and not some modern design, but I'm getting sided tracked.

I think the lack of a roof is reallly a non-issue considering that the Twins played 20+ years in an open air stadium before moving into the dome.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Hmm, I'd have to look. Seems like the Twins park has more glass, though.

It'd be nice if the new park doesn't have a ridiculously corporate name. Don't let us down, Minnesota.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

i personally think that looks ridiculously similar to the new park here in st. louis. However i still like it.

back in the '70s they called the Vet, Three Rivers, Riverfront and Busch cookie cutter ballparks. Two new cookie cutter trends has emerged with all the new parks. Miller Park, Chase Park, Safeco Field all are similar retractable roof parks. Comerica, Jacobs Field, New Busch, Citzens Bank, PNC Park all are cookie cutter retro. Looks like the Twins, Mets and Nats new ones fits that bill too. IMO, the only new parks that are unique are Pac Bell Park (screw AT&T), Petco Park and Minute Maid in Houston (even though I can't stand the gimmicky-ness of it).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

i personally think that looks ridiculously similar to the new park here in st. louis.  However i still like it.

There are enough differences to distinguish that Twins' park from the new Busch. I wouldn't say they are "ridiculously similar", but that's just me...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Miller Park, Chase Park, Safeco Field all are similar retractable roof parks.

(sigh) We're going to start this crap again, huh? How in the world is this:

Mil_Miller_Park_baseball.jpg

similar to this:

BANKONEBALLPARK_AOT.jpg

or similar to this:

Smith_Seattle_se4_large.jpg

???

OK, they all have retractable roofs, but that's it. Nothing else is remotely similar about the parks. You might as well have thrown in Rogers Center:

SkyDome.jpg

if your entire requirements for that list was a retractable roof :rolleyes:

Plus, you should read the New Mets Stadium thread if you want details of how many of these retro ballparks are different from one another. Riverfront, Three Rivers, and Old Busch were exactly the same stadium, and that isn't the case here. Sure, there may be some design elements shared by the new parks, but to call them "cookie-cutter," like the dough-nuts of the '70's is inaccurate.

Moose

I spoke in front of the Hennipen County Board for the stadium last year when they held their vote. It was interesting to see the process and be a part of the discussion.

I haven't taken the time to go to the Capital this year for the voting and debate, but I feel a little more invested in the process since I my earlier participation.

It's kind of interesting to see people allowed to get up and speak. They are allowed to say just about anything they want and spin numbers any way they feel without being called on it.

It's been a long drawn out process that everyone around here is sick to death of. You can vote it down 100 times, but the ballpark only has to be approved once and I think the anti-stadium side is finally worn out from the looks of it.

Personally, I hope the new ball park, if approved, is as retro as possible. I much prefer bricks to glass & chrome.

It will be great for me as well, as I will be able to take the train downtown and by the time it's done, my son will be 7, a good age for starting to pay attention for an entire nine innings and he won't have to grow up with memories of the mausoleum they now play in.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said...the Metrodome is "no longer an acceptable venue for the Twins."

Was it ever really?

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

It will be great for me as well, as I will be able to take the train downtown and by the time it's done, my son will be 7, a good age for starting to pay attention for an entire nine innings and he won't have to grow up with memories of the mausoleum they now play in.

Work on him now, Jeff. My then-3 year old son chastised me for leaving a game early with him (after the bottom of the 8th) because he knew there was more ball to be played. When I explained that I had to carry him, and it was easier without all those other people leaving with us, he was good with it. :D

It's where I sit.

The Vet, Three Rivers, and Old Busch were exactly the same stadium, and that isn't the case here. Sure, there may be some design elements shared by the new parks, but to call them "cookie-cutter," like the dough-nuts of the '70's is inaccurate.

Similar, yes. "Exactly the same stadium"? Not by a longshot. At least, not if you're including the Vet. Veterans Stadium wasn't round; it was octorad - the same shape as old Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego (before it was reconfigured with the giant scoreboard tower in right field). But the Vet didn't have the cylindrical ramps in and out of the stadium that the Murph/Qualcomm had. Three Rivers and Busch were similar to Riverfront in Cincinnati, but were simply NOT the same shape as either the Vet or the Murph, which were similar to each other.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The Vet, Three Rivers, and Old Busch were exactly the same stadium, and that isn't the case here.  Sure, there may be some design elements shared by the new parks, but to call them "cookie-cutter," like the dough-nuts of the '70's is inaccurate.

Three Rivers and Busch were similar to Riverfront in Cincinnati, but were simply NOT the same shape as either the Vet or the Murph, which were similar to each other.

Yes, I had ment Riverfront instead of the Vet... Sorry, and I will edit my origional post. Sorry for my mistake.

My point remains, however, that those three stadiums are basically the same ballbark, while the three mentioned by jkorkie have but one design element (retractable roof) in common, and are completely different in every other way...

Moose

Here is an interesting side note to all of this.

The Twins new ballpark will not include a retractable-roofed ballpark, as we all know.

Yet the open air ballpark design they have trotted out this time still has retractable roof rails included...well partially. Look at left field.

Twins park with roof

twins806.jpg

Twins park without roof

wjg8dv.jpg

To my knowledge, only one other ballpark is built in the Majors with the capability of adding a retractable roof in the future.

That park is Comerica Park in Detroit.

A roof added there would call for a design similar to that already in use at Chase Field in Phoenix. Yet the Tigers have not gone as far as to have roof rails in place as the Twins ballpark calls for.

BTW, as an architect, I have been pretty fortunate to visit a vast majority of all the new ballparks built in baseball. (I will be seeing new Busch in June).

Here's how I break down best new parks....

1 AT&T Park, San Francisco....The views, the "Old Navy Splash Landing" (arcade in right field for those who dont know) nuff said

2 PNC Park, Pittsburgh.....again the views, the location, the implementing of the old Sixth Street, now Roberto Clemente Bridge into the game day experience. This ballpark has most intimate design of any NEW stadium Ive ever seen in professional sports. Its simply perfect....I will be heading back there for the All-Star Game this year....should be fun for that Home Run Derby

3 Minute Maid Park, Houston....the most underrated ballpark in baseball. This ballpark design has actually won architect HOK some awards. Most people cant get over the Hill in center (which I like) or the home run totals. Get past that and you will discover a gem, built at a ridiculously low price of just $248 million. Using Union Station as the main entrance was a grand idea. Side note: that train station was designed by the same architects who later designed NYC's Grand Central. The restaurant atop the fence right-center gives the best views any restaurant in baseball has to offer to date. The left field porch holds some of the best seats in baseball. And then there?s the over-hanging porch in left center....great area to walk around and just hang out. What?s surprising is that most don?t really know of the spectacular downtown view it has to offer. That?s because most of the downtown skyscrapers, including Enron?s twin towers, sit just behind the ballpark to the southwest I believe. Sit in right field or along first base, you?ll catch an amazing view that will give Pittsburgh a run for its money. All in all, a top notch ballpark that doesn?t gets the respect it should in the baseball community.

4 Petco Park, San Diego.... The exterior is a breath of fresh air compared to all the retro's plaguing the league now. The usage of the Western Metals Supply building is simply ingenious. Concourses are very open and roomy. "Park in the Park" concept is perfect for baseball....however, I hope the Padres don?t proceed to build that hideous 30 story condo as part of the center field development. One drawback....a sand-filled volleyball court should have absolutely no place in a ballpark what-so-ever. And especially in prime real estate along the right center field fence....c'mon, that needs to go. A pool like Phoenix would be ok....but leave the volleyball for the beach.

5 Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore.....just stroll down Eutaw Street at game time. You?ll see why its this good. But thats no secret....

And for the record....being that Im from NY , I know Ill get asked this....

I hate BOTH designs for both the new Yankees and Mets new park's.

The Yankees need to stay in old Yankee Stadium...that kind of aura and experience is something you just cant replicate. The new park will lack the majesty, the feeling of the old park. It just wont be the same.....

And for the Mets new park, while any new park is better then Shea, I hate the location. If the Nets can find a way to build Brooklyn, the Mets can too. Its where they belong....not next to an airport. And this new park has absloutely no character in its design at all....theIron lattice work on the canopy that is supposed to resemble the "Bridges of New York" instead resembles the canopy at new Busch in St Louis....try again folks.

If they want a design element that resembles the "Bridges of New York," how about iron lattice work that forms the shape of the gothic arches found in the design of New York's most famous bridge, the Brooklyn Bridge...implement that into the design of the light towers that will soar over the ballpark. Thats how you add a lil NY bridge flavor into a ballpark design! Shesh.....

NYCdog.png

Archived