LSU Baseball pays tribute to the troops

bsilva1

Every time I see a new thread to the effect of "X pays tribute to the troops," I click on it, hoping that this time it will be a team holding a recruitment event for young adults or donating a game's worth of tickets to military families or collecting books and comics and food and other stuff to send to deployed soldiers (or for them to use in their efforts to gain the trust of locals in Iraq and Afghanistan). You know, something that would actually support the troops, the veterans, or the families of the killed and wounded in some meaningful way.

Instead, it's always this or that team playing dress-up. The sports equivalent of putting a "support the troops" sticker on the back of your car. Even when there's an auction-the-jerseys-for-charity element, it's still a pretty empty gesture considering the much more meaningful things a team could do.

Late last season, Brad Wilkerson brought a wounded vet (he'd lost at least one of his legs, maybe both, and was walking on prosthetics) from his hometown to throw out the first pitch at a Nats game. It's not much, and it's just one guy, but it sure did a lot more to actually honor our troops than any team ever did by dressing up in camo. It was tasteful, and it put the issue of caring for our returning soldiers, especially those who've suffered wounds in service to our country, on the minds of about 36,000 people. And I've never heard louder or longer cheering for a ceremonial first pitch, not even when the President of the United States opened the Nats' inaugural season last year.

I'm not really against the whole dress-up-in-camo thing, it has its place, but I mind when teams do that and claim to be "supporting" or "honoring" the troops. It's just playing dress-up. Ask a returning vet what he thinks "support" or "honor" looks like, and odds are he won't say anything about civilians dressing up in camo to play games.

20082614447.png

Come down off your soap box BallWonk. LSU wasn't playing dress up. The jerseys are now being auctioned off with the proceeds going to various military support funds. Some of the jerseys will be shipped to troops overseas. Russell made a t-shirt version of the jersey and those were sold for $11 at the game with the proceeds going to the same charities. Military personnel were admitted for $4 (half price). I doubt San Diego wears those uniforms for the heck of it either.

eyecopy1tn.jpg

Every time I see a new thread to the effect of "X pays tribute to the troops," I click on it, hoping that this time it will be a team holding a recruitment event for young adults or donating a game's worth of tickets to military families or collecting books and comics and food and other stuff to send to deployed soldiers (or for them to use in their efforts to gain the trust of locals in Iraq and Afghanistan). You know, something that would actually support the troops, the veterans, or the families of the killed and wounded in some meaningful way.

Instead, it's always this or that team playing dress-up. The sports equivalent of putting a "support the troops" sticker on the back of your car. Even when there's an auction-the-jerseys-for-charity element, it's still a pretty empty gesture considering the much more meaningful things a team could do.

Late last season, Brad Wilkerson brought a wounded vet (he'd lost at least one of his legs, maybe both, and was walking on prosthetics) from his hometown to throw out the first pitch at a Nats game. It's not much, and it's just one guy, but it sure did a lot more to actually honor our troops than any team ever did by dressing up in camo. It was tasteful, and it put the issue of caring for our returning soldiers, especially those who've suffered wounds in service to our country, on the minds of about 36,000 people. And I've never heard louder or longer cheering for a ceremonial first pitch, not even when the President of the United States opened the Nats' inaugural season last year.

I'm not really against the whole dress-up-in-camo thing, it has its place, but I mind when teams do that and claim to be "supporting" or "honoring" the troops. It's just playing dress-up. Ask a returning vet what he thinks "support" or "honor" looks like, and odds are he won't say anything about civilians dressing up in camo to play games.

I'm a Vet. I have been over there. Personally I get a little upset when people say that it is played out to show a little support. But you know what, you have that right. it ain't an American thing or nothing. When you talk on the net you are anonymous. You can log on anywhere and say whatever and it can't be traced to you. Sorry to get on my soap box but those boys that didn't get to come back and see at least an attempt to say thank you or whatever, they are the ones that lose out. You can see, talk crap , and still breathe. Hopefully with all of your limbs and under your own power. Soldiers go where Angels fear to tred, take crap for decisions they don't get to make, and are feared, loathed, and thanked by a country with all sorts of issues that no one really wants to take responsibility for. Thanks to those who support Vets and even to those who don't. You all give us something to fight for.

I'm a Vet. I have been over there. Personally I get a little upset when people say that it is played out to show a little support. But you know what, you have that right. it ain't an American thing or nothing. When you talk on the net you are anonymous. You can log on anywhere and say whatever and it can't be traced to you. Sorry to get on my soap box but those boys that didn't get to come back and see at least an attempt to say thank you or whatever, they are the ones that lose out. You can see, talk crap , and still breathe. Hopefully with all of your limbs and under your own power. Soldiers go where Angels fear to tred, take crap for decisions they don't get to make, and are feared, loathed, and thanked by a country with all sorts of issues that no one really wants to take responsibility for. Thanks to those who support Vets and even to those who don't. You all give us something to fight for.

Thanks for everything, man! You and all the others who have fought, are still fighting, and those who gave their lives. We REALLY do appreciate it. You weren't over there without a cause. So, again, thanks.

Archived