State Quarters?

nwtrailtrekker

Truth to tell, none of the three designs really turned anybody on.

Do you know where I can see the other designs?

I remember when I was in third grade and the quarters series had just been announced. We were supposed to draw a pattern for our state (WI), and I drew pretty much the same thing with the cow and cheese because I couldn't think of anything else.

I liked New Jersey with Washington crossing the Delaware

I did a double take there for a moment. I couldn't tell if you were talking about New Jersey, Washington, or Delware.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Truth to tell, none of the three designs really turned anybody on.

Do you know where I can see the other designs?

I remember when I was in third grade and the quarters series had just been announced. We were supposed to draw a pattern for our state (WI), and I drew pretty much the same thing with the cow and cheese because I couldn't think of anything else.

The other two themes were "early exploration" and "scenic Wisconsin."

Page with designs that lost competition.

By the way, these were the rules, at least in Wisconsin, for design suggestions:

# Suitable subject matter for design concepts may include state landmarks,

landscapes, historically significant buildings, symbols of state resources or industries,

official state flora and fauna or state icons.

# No head or shoulder portrait of any person living or dead may be included in the

design.

# State flags and state seals are not considered suitable for designs.

# No inscriptions/words should be included in the State design concept. (NOTE: A LOT of states did this, including Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio...)

# Inappropriate design concepts include, but are not limited to the following: logos

or depictions of specific commercial, private educational, civic, religious, sports or

other organizations whose membership or ownership is not universal.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

IL_big.jpg

*homer pick*

Yeah, I thought that came out pretty well. I generally don't like the quarters that have 3 or 4 different elements thrown together (example: Florida), but Illinois' flows pretty nicely. The skyline of Chicago and the farms of the rest of the state, sums up IL pretty well.

Slightly off topic: I was not surprised at all that Lincoln was included, but I must admit to being a little tired of him being included on everything that involves Illinois. I had to buy the enviromental license plate cause I hated the way he dominates the new regular plates (oh, and I like the enviroment too). Hopefully future Illinois designs play up the Praire State theme. Land of Lincoln is played out. He was born in Kentucky anyway.

My favorite quarter designs are the ones that inspired me to learn why they were chosen. Connecticut and Delaware are good examples. It's not obvious to someone out of state what those designs mean, yet they're a good representation of the state once you read up on them.

Best Conan Quaters:

r_StateQuarters_NorthDakota.jpg

o_StateQuarters_SouthDakota.jpg

I can't believe i forgot to put that with the onther o'brien quarters i posted. Thats just hilarious

• 8 months later...

Now THIS is cool....

MT_winner.gif

that's not bad. It would have been much better had it just been the bull's head without the landscape. Although, it would not make much sense to put "Big Sky Country" if there was no sky, huh?

I saw, I came, I left.

That Michigan quarter is awesome. I hadn't seen it yet.

Texas, Mass., and Montana look great too.

I may start actually looking at my quarters and starting a collection. Is there an easy / cheap way to "polish up" dirty quarters?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I may start actually looking at my quarters and starting a collection. Is there an easy / cheap way to "polish up" dirty quarters?

I seem to remember polishing pennies with some vinegar/water mix way back in the day...basically, just mix the vinegar and water (or something like that), put some rusted Lincolns in the glass, go to bed, wake up the next morning and look at dat shine :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived