6,600 at the Marlins game the other night

StarrDogg

Loria strikes again. Now it's easy to realize how baseball failed in Montreal, because the same thing is happening in Florida. Both teams have dropped from the top to the bottom in a matter of a couple of years.

When were the Expos ever at the top?

Loria strikes again.  Now it's easy to realize how baseball failed in Montreal, because the same thing is happening in Florida.  Both teams have dropped from the top to the bottom in a matter of a couple of years.

When the 1994 MLB Season was called...

NL East Standings

Team             W      L     WPct.  GB
Montréal Expos  74     40     .649   --
Atlanta Braves  68     46     .596   6.0

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Loria strikes again.  Now it's easy to realize how baseball failed in Montreal, because the same thing is happening in Florida.  Both teams have dropped from the top to the bottom in a matter of a couple of years.

When the 1994 MLB Season was called...

NL East Standings

Team             W      L     WPct.  GB
Montréal Expos  74     40     .649   --
Atlanta Braves  68     46     .596   6.0

That team had all sorts of talent.

Larry Walker, Moises Alou, Marquis Grissom, Cliff Floyd, Wil Cordero, Rondell White, Pedro, Jeff Fassero, John Wetteland -- am I missing anyone?

IUe6Hvh.png

That team had all sorts of talent.

Larry Walker, Moises Alou, Marquis Grissom, Cliff Floyd, Wil Cordero, Rondell White, Pedro, Jeff Fassero, John Wetteland -- am I missing anyone?

Ken Hill was their #1 starter.

Kirk Rueter's first full season was '94. He won his first 8 decisions in 1993, and went 7-3 in '94. I thought he was named NL Rookie Pitcher of the Year (though that may be an unofficial distinction).

Mike Lansing was a serviceable 2B after Delino DeShields left and before Jose Vidro came up.

Other than that, I think you got the principals involved...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

One word that will solve this problem:

BARNSTORMING!

no home games, just road games.

Speaking of failed Loria-owned teams, remember when there were rumors back in 2003-04 that the Expos were thinking of playing their home games at Fenway Park when the Sox were on the road?

Weird... :wacko:

i have another word that will solve it.

CONTRACTION.

One word that will solve this problem:

BARNSTORMING!

no home games, just road games.

Speaking of failed Loria-owned teams, remember when there were rumors back in 2003-04 that the Expos were thinking of playing their home games at Fenway Park when the Sox were on the road?

Weird... :wacko:

i have another word that will solve it.

CONTRACTION.

Horrible idea. This is supposed to be a sport on the rise again. We should be looking toward expansion, not contraction. That looks very bad. There are lots of cities that can support baseball, Miami just isn't one of them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Loria attacks again! How many fanbases does this guy want to kill? I do not blame Marlins fans for not showing up, why should they? The team is publically being shopped and have no intent on staying in Miami. Similarly erie situation as Montreal. Who knows, if the MLB and owners of the expos would have allowed for the team to actually aquire a tv contract, did not bring up moving the team every year from 96 - 2004, and allowed the managers to call up studs in AAA for a late playoff run maybe the people of montreal would have shown up like they did in the 60's, 70s, and 80s. Sad story, but in the end of the day montreal loses their boys of summer and the MLB takes a page out of the Major League's movie, with charlie sheen, script. Remember the lady that wanted to move the team somewhere else, so she tried to cripple all atempts!

But here's the thing - winning, by and large, cures attendance problems. When your team is under .500, you aren't going to draw all that well, even in May.

Tell that to the Pirates fans.

oBIgzrL.png

But here's the thing - winning, by and large, cures attendance problems.  When your team is under .500, you aren't going to draw all that well, even in May.

Tell that to the Pirates fans.

I'd go to pirates games just because they have such a beautiful ball park. Hopefully the pens can get an equally attractive arena, they belong there.

Winning does not equal big attendance. For example look at the Pittsburgh Pirates,people keep going to games no matter how bad they are.The owners are very good business men they spend as little as possible ,make big bucks ,and never put it back into the product on the field.People still show up .How about a new division Pittsburgh, Florida , Tampa Bay, Washington, Kansas City at least then you might draw more attendance because some one would have to win.

Not necessarily, remember last year with the NL West? A division of, shall we say, that caliber would be identical to that with all 5 teams effectively losing that division. :P

Ironically, in Major League, Rachel Phelps was trying to move the Indians to Miami. Loria's moving the team away from Miami.

Finally a thought on contraction. Baseball won't be straying from 30 teams. 32 teams is in all probability too much. With that would you maintain a 3 division format? Or go to 4 divisions and lose the wild card? I don't see baseball expanding. Contraction on the other hand is just as unlikely. First the Players' Union wouldn't allow it because suddenly 50-80 major league players are out of a job. And hundreds of minor leaguers are no unaffiliated. Furthermore the owners aren't gonna go for it because the 28 remaining owners would have to buy the two contracted teams and shut them down. Bottom line: lost investment. To offset the loss of player jobs, there was talk of expanding the rosters to 28 players. More players means more payroll...more money spent on pineriders. In short, contraction isn't going to happen because the Players aren't going to go for it and the Owners aren't going to be happy as well. Baseball needs to make their 30 teams work, because that's what they're keeping.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

For the people of montreal, the expos were literally out of sight out of mind. After MLB took em over, the MLB did not renew a radio/tv deal and had no advertising. They employed like one reporter, who was interviewed by tsn saying he was told not to write too much on the expos. On top of it all, the horrid Olympic stadium wasn't even in the city. It is easy to paint the city of montreal by saying the team left because "no one cared" when the truth is many people cared, and still do. The younger kids really couldn't care less because most of the time how would they have followed the team. It is similar to the Chicago Blackhawks situation (atleast they have radio thoug), but Montreal is not an American city, so on Bud Selig's agenda it was just a simple move.

R.I.P Montreal Expos 1968 - 2004

Archived