More proof that retro stadiums are cookie cutters

griffin128

I found this and I have to assume that these guys know a little about stadiums.

They've been to EVERY stadium in the country. ALL MLB, all NHL, all NFL all NBA, and most minor league.

I can't imagine someone knowing more about venues.

Anyway here's a quote from their review on the new Busch

"Ah yes... that red brick facade, wrought iron gate, kelly green painted steel support formula that has

carried us so well since the dawn of Camden Yards almost two decades ago. St. Louis has carried on

that tradition by erecting the latest in the wave of retro cookie-cutters."

You can find the rest of the review here

http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com/stlouiscardinals.html

and their awesome site

http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com/index.html

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that I think about it, maybe they did drop the ball on this one.

by the way,

tb07.jpg

Who would want to spend a beautiful Florida day HERE?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I found this and I have to assume that these guys know a little about stadiums.

They've been to EVERY stadium in the country. ALL MLB, all NHL, all NFL all NBA, and most minor league.

I can't imagine someone knowing more about venues.

Anyway here's a quote from their review on the new Busch

"Ah yes... that red brick facade, wrought iron gate, kelly green painted steel support formula that has

carried us so well since the dawn of Camden Yards almost two decades ago. St. Louis has carried on

that tradition by erecting the latest in the wave of retro cookie-cutters."

You can find the rest of the review here

http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com/stlouiscardinals.html

and their awesome site

http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com/index.html

I found that site a couple of years ago. I use that review every time I visit a different stadium to find out what to check out and other things. Really cool site, would love to do what they did in my lifetime.

th_island1-med.gifStanley Cups 1980,1981,1982,1983

th_dodgers1-med.gifWorld Series Titles 1955,1959,1963,1965,1981,1988

th_boys1-med.gifSuper Bowl Titles VI,XII,XXVII,XXVIII,XXXth_jet2-med.gifSuper Bowl Title III

th_ny1-med.gifth_norangers-med.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

I don't care if it monsoons in St. Petersburg every day, it's gotta be better than being in there.

FWIW, every article I read on the city says it's one of the sunniest in America. Why would there be so many old people retiring there if it's always cloudy and rainy, anyway?

I don't care if it's "cookie cutter" or not----they said that about the Vet-Fulton Co-Riverfront-Three Rivers-Busch.

Go to a day game at AT&T Park when it's 76 degrees and sunny with a lt breeze off the water..then tell me it's cookie cutter like all the other retros. Best location for a ballpark EVER.

PS, wow is that Tampa place dreary or what. Ack.

The guy who did the 30 stadiums in one summer thing for Joe Mock's website (can't remember the URL offhand) said it's really really hot in the summer in the Gulf Coast part of Florida. He used to live there, so I trust his opinion.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

carried us so well since the dawn of Camden Yards almost two decades ago."

Ameriquest is exactly like this. They 'Texan'ed it up though, with bas reliefs of cowboys, cattle drives etc. I really like the stadium, but I don't have much to compare it to.

newsig.jpg

The thing about all these "new" cookie-cutter ballparks is they each have a uniqueness to themselves.

Look at, for example, Safeco Field in Seattle and Minute Maid Park in Houston. Two stadiums with similar types of retractable domes, but so different in other ways.

You ain't gonna see the Gateway Arch in any other place than new Bush Stadium in St. Louis. You ain't gonna see a ring around a certain part of the stadium that designates exactly one mile high except at Coors Field in Denver. You ain't gonna see McCovey Cove in any place at ... whatever the ballpark is called in San Francisco.

If these are cookie-cutter ballparks, then please, give me more cookies.

Any ballpark in St. Pete HAS to be indoors. It is just WAY too hot and humid in the Tampa Bay area to spend any more time outside than necessary.

Trust me, going inside the Trop (and I've been) is a total relief compared to the excruitiating humidity outside.

The biggest lesson to learn is that baseball doesn't work in Florida. It's either too hot or too wet and most everyone rushes toward air conditioning or the beach every chance they get. No one there watches baseball unless it's the Yankees anyways.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The thing about all these "new" cookie-cutter ballparks is they each have a uniqueness to themselves.

Look at, for example, Safeco Field in Seattle and Minute Maid Park in Houston. Two stadiums with similar types of retractable domes, but so different in other ways.

You ain't gonna see the Gateway Arch in any other place than new Bush Stadium in St. Louis. You ain't gonna see a ring around a certain part of the stadium that designates exactly one mile high except at Coors Field in Denver. You ain't gonna see McCovey Cove in any place at ... whatever the ballpark is called in San Francisco.

If these are cookie-cutter ballparks, then please, give me more cookies.

Well, yes, they all have a certain uniqueness to each, but there are a lot of common design elements that have grown very overused. Do you not realize that? So St. Louis's park has an arch, and Denver's a ring (WOW!), but beyond that, they're all ripping off Camden Yards with the brick-and-green steel, contrived dimensions, forest-green seats, and so on. RETRO STYLE WITH MODERN AMENITIES! People are starting to feel that it's retro-by-numbers with some of these parks, and would welcome something that doesn't look like everything else for once.

retro by the numbers. i can't agree. each has a distinct personality. all ballparks are defined by certain parameters, and you can't escape those. but they all have distinctive features. like, you can't hit one into the water in any other park in the majors, I believe.

Once again, it comes down to color scheme, doesn't it?

That's the only "proof" that modern stadiums are cookie-cutter.

Everything else is the same, from the orientation of the seating to the number and placement of grandstands to the very size and shape of the playing field itself, but just because they use brick they just must be identical. :rolleyes:

That's an incredibly superficial evaluation of stadiums.

Archived