Cfl playoffs confusion

habsfan1

can somebody explain to me what on earth is going on.

in the western semi-final, we had saskatchewan VS winnipeg

in the east, there was toronto vs BC LIONS!?

what's up with the lions facing an eastern team in the playoffs?

It's the crossover. (Nothing to do with SHB's contests either.) Normally the top 3 teams in the East and West advance to the playoffs. However, if the 4th place team in one division has a better record than the 3rd place team in the other division, the 4th team crosses over and takes that place. In this case, the West's 4th place team (BC) had a better record than the East's 3rd place team (Ottawa), and thus the crossover.
WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I like that system.  Makes for a more balanced bracket, to be sure.  The only issue I have with it is that BC could end up being the Eastern Conference Champion even though they play in the Western Conference.  How would that play out on a banner or t-shirt?  Does the CFL even go in for the "locker room" shirt and hat thing?

As an American who follows the CFL, I'd have to say that I'm especially happy about this year's playoff situation in the CFL, for the sheer reason that there will be no chance that a team with a losing record (Argos are .500, which technically isn't a losing record) can win the Grey Cup. That seriously rubbed me the wrong way when, I do believe it was Calgary not too long ago, who had a losing record, yet beat Winnepeg for the cup.  I'm off to cfl.ca to see how many teams with losing records have won the cup.

That seriously rubbed me the wrong way when, I do believe it was Calgary not too long ago, who had a losing record, yet beat Winnepeg for the cup.

B.C. did the same thing the year before... there hasn't been too many teams that have done this, when 66% of the teams in the league make the playoffs, you're bound to get some losing records.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

when 66% of the teams in the league make the playoffs, you're bound to get some losing records.

With 9 teams this season in my flag football league, I decided to "do a CFL" and have 6 playoff qualifiers. Strangely enough, going into the last week of our regular season it appears only one of the six will wind up with a below-.500 record.

And yes, before you ask... the three teams that didn't make the cut do all resemble the Hamilton Ti-Cats...   :D

nav-logo.png

I'm an American, so please excuse my ignorance, but how many games do CFL teams each play? Because if they each play 16, why don't they just have all 9 teams in a single division and play a home-and-home with each other team? This would make the playoffs much simpler. (Top 6 go to playoffs)

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm an American, so please excuse my ignorance

The second part of that sentence wasn't necessary  :;):  :;):   (i was kidding, seriously)

Grey Cup this year, same as last year... tis a shame it wasn't Toronto/Saskatchewan.

Go Eskimos.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I'm an American, so please excuse my ignorance, but how many games do CFL teams each play? Because if they each play 16, why don't they just have all 9 teams in a single division and play a home-and-home with each other team? This would make the playoffs much simpler. (Top 6 go to playoffs)

Well, it was kind of arrogant to assume they play 16......but we all make mistakes. :)

Well, it was kind of arrogant to assume they play 16......but we all make mistakes. :)

I figured they didn't, but I also figured it'd be less rather than more (14-ish) :;):

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

That may be a good idea for the playoff but not for the regular season.

I think you still need East West for rivalary perposes during the bulk of the season.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Actually you need it more for the playoffs.  Teams both East and West have struggled historically from a financial perspective, and without a (likely) East-West final each year, nationwide interest in the league would wane considerably.

Say the league has two long-term (meeting in the Grey Cup 3 years out of 5) powers in Winnipeg and Saskatchewan, two western teams.  Could you imagine how little nationwide interest there'd be in that championship game?

nav-logo.png

Archived