Browns 60 Logo

Burning River

Hi All! Glad to be back. Sometimes this page gets blocked while I'm at work, there are times it does not.

Quick Question. I recieved a Browns Pocket Schedule yesterday. There is a logo on it that reads:

It had an old helmet on the left, then a new helmet on the right. There is a brown/orange checker pattern at the top and bottom. Is this considered one of the new markings that the team will be using as mentioned in the "On Field Changes" topic?

It just seems very...

...plain... and uninspired

I believe the NFL considers the franchise to always have been in existence, even though it took a hiatus from fielding a team for a few years. Another fiction sort of like the one that says the Ravens franchise didn't exist prior to 1996.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Actually, I don't care at all. I was just pointing out that the NFL had to create its own reality regarding both franchises if it wanted to pretend the Ravens didn't exist before 1996. I am the first to say that Jim Brown should be the Cleveland Browns all time leading rusher, not William Green (or whoever it has been since 1999). However, the Browns/Ravens franchise is the only one with which this situation was created. The Colts, Rams, Oilers, etc. brought their old records with them when they moved.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

The Browns aren't the only club to have "suspended operations." It's happened several times in the NFL's history, albeit not recently.

The Rams didn't play in the 1943 season.

The Pittsburgh Steelers and the Philadelphia Eagles played as one combined team (the famous "Steagles") in 1943.

The following year, the Steelers and the the Chicago Cardinals combined for the 1944 season.

I think the Browns/Ravens situation is more analagous to the 1979 the Buffalo Braves/Boston Celtics franchise swap. But "fiction"? Only to embittered Browns fans who wanted a pre-made history for their club. I would have thought that winning a World Championship of your own would have sated the desire to claim Cleveland's. :P

And speaking of bitter fans, I have my own gripe against the NFL's official historians. I want to scream when I see Packers merchandise labeled "Est. 1921".... :cursing:

I think the Browns/Ravens situation is more analagous to the 1979 the Buffalo Braves/Boston Celtics franchise swap.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I am sure that you will :D ), but didn't those teams just swap owners?

I would have thought that winning a World Championship of your own would have sated the desire to claim Cleveland's.  :P

I'm not claiming Cleveland's championships. I don't want them. I was just pointing out that the NFL handled this situation differently than every other franchise move.

That just proves Cleveland had better lawyers. :D

Seriously, though - if the Cleveland Browns were treated differently, it's because the relocation was especially shady, given the long history of fan support. Perhaps alone among relocations, it was solely because Cleveland wouldn't build them a new stadium.

That, and the threats of lawsuits. :P

That just proves Cleveland had better lawyers. :D

My legal career was young then. :P

Geez!! Pantone, HELP!!

All I wanted to know is if this is one of the "markings" that the team will be using this year. I know it's an Anniversary logo... and I know the debate of:

"Is it 60 years or 61 years?" will come up. Due to the years listed.

It's just so lame to be "official"....

It was mentioned that along with the new uniforms, the team wll introduce a few markings. Is this one of them? Or are there others?

You know what will be terrible? When the Bills are moved to Los Angeles, given a new identity and are never reffered to again, outside of Scott Norwood. At least there was always the possibility the Browns would return. Once the Bills disappear, they'll always be gone.

It's a sad day I know will come. And what will be left of Western New York? The 2006 Stanely Cup Champion Sabres and a bunch of crummy minor league teams.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The other way to look at it is..........................

The Ravens are a spin-off of the Browns. Browns = All in the Family, Ravens = the Jeffersons.

and as the Browns bastard offspring...the Ravens super bowl belongs to Cleveland ultimately!

The other way to look at it is..........................

The Ravens are a spin-off of the Browns. Browns = All in the Family, Ravens = the Jeffersons.

and as the Browns bastard offspring...the Ravens super bowl belongs to Cleveland ultimately!

OK and with that logic all the New York Yankees World Championships belong in Baltimore, and the Lakers titles belong in Minnesota.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived