The Penguins Close To Officially Moving?

Neon_Matrix

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just going to take on a couple of your arguments here...

But, c'mon, Missouri already has the NHL; the Blues.  Is it really necessary for another Missouri hockey team?

And Pennsylvania already has the NHL in the Flyers, why does that state deserve two teams any more than Missouri?

They had the Scouts and that didn't work out.

Don't forget that Pittsburgh is on its second NHL team now, too. Should the Penguins not exist because the Pirates didn't work out? The Flyers because of the Quakers? The Blues because of the Eagles? The Senators because of ... the Senators? Just as the economics of the late '60s (and '90s, in Ottawa's case) were diffferent from those of the '30s, the economics in KC now are different from the '70s. Maybe it's time for another try.

i would hate to see the penguins move i think a team that has won a championship shouldnt move they have history and should stay there.  Moving to Kansas City would suck, move a team to Portland or winnipeg cities that love hockey and want a team bad.

oh yeah...KC doesn't want Hockey bad. <_<

I'm not trying to start anything, just carious. Do you, in your honest opinion, belive that Kansas City sports fans will support a NHL KC team like they do the Chiefs? Because when you say a city wants "hockey bad" you are implying that the hockey fan base is as hardcore as those in Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, Boston, etc... I'm in no position to make that judgement, but you are. Do you belive a KC team can garner the support that you claim they can when you say they want "hockey bad"?

i would hate to see the penguins move i think a team that has won a championship shouldnt move they have history and should stay there.  Moving to Kansas City would suck, move a team to Portland or winnipeg cities that love hockey and want a team bad.

I'm not trying to start anything, just carious. Do you, in your honest opinion, belive that Kansas City sports fans will support a NHL KC team like they do the Chiefs? Because when you say a city wants "hockey bad" you are implying that the hockey fan base is as hardcore as those in Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, Boston, etc... I'm no no position to make that judgement, but you are. Do you belive a KC team can garner the support that you claim they can when you say they want "hockey bad"?

The town had tremndous support for the Kansas City Blades IHL team. Lot of Sharks fans still because of their affiliation with San Jose. Now, was it a sellout everynight....no. But a lot of people in KC won't support it unless it is "Major League"

Insert your Royals joke.......now. :D

This would be one of the saddest days. I grew up going to Pens games, I refuse to believe this is going to happen, a deal will coming through.

I dont know if many of you realize what a great hockey town Pittsburgh truely is. Sure, football will always be number one, but hockey is the solid number two around here, on all levels. The high school championships are amazing, peewee is huge. Roller hockey can be seen on every street and park during the summer. Pittsburgh is a hockey town and it deserves to keep it's Penguins.

BTW I think the Pens got their name because the exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo was new and very popular at the time of the teams founding. To this day it is one of the best parts of the surprisingly nice animal sanctuary. So yes, there are penguins in Pittsburgh! :hockeysmiley:

I'm not trying to start anything, just carious. Do you, in your honest opinion, belive that Kansas City sports fans will support a NHL KC team like they do the Chiefs? Because when you say a city wants "hockey bad" you are implying that the hockey fan base is as hardcore as those in Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, Boston, etc... I'm no no position to make that judgement, but you are. Do you belive a KC team can garner the support that you claim they can when you say they want "hockey bad"?

The town had tremndous support for the Kansas City Blades IHL team. Lot of Sharks fans still because of their affiliation with San Jose. Now, was it a sellout everynight....no. But a lot of people in KC won't support it unless it is "Major League"

Insert your Royals joke.......now. :D

I'm a born and breed Blues fan living in KC (and I've always liked the Penguins because of Lemeuix and Kevin Stevens back in the day.) So I'll weigh in on my two cents.

True, Missouri already has a NHL team, but St. Louis and KC are on opposite sides of the state - nearly 200 miles apart. Needless to say, the two cities have a strong dislike for each other. You won't find much support for a St. Louis team here in KC. Much of this stems from the '85 World Series, but it goes back way beyond that.

It's also true that KC hasn't had much of a history as a hockey town, but with the new Sprint Center opening downtown in 2007, I truly believe that will change. Along with the new arena, plans are in place to revitalize downtown with a new entertainment and housing district adjacent to the arena. New lofts are being built downtown and people are moving back to the area in droves. The Sprint Center has already sold out ALL of its suites - despite the fact that there is not a major league tennant in place (if you don't count the arena football league team). In a recent poll in the Kansas City Star newspaper, the residents of KC would prefer an NHL franchise almost 3-1 over an NBA team. Plus, several junior and high school hockey leagues are now in place, and have been very successful in the metro area, so the next generation of hockey fans are hungry for an NHL team.

Last year we had a minor league hockey team, but the marketing efforts were weak at best and they played in the delapidated Kemper Arena which is in a very bad neighborhood, and to be honest, people just didn't want to go down there to see a minor league game.

Like I said, I've always liked the Penguins and it would be bittersweet to see them move away from Pittsburgh, but if they come to KC, I (along with thousands of others) would welcome them with open arms. My only delema will be with what to do about the bluenote tattoo on my shoulder if they become my arch enemies!

Ideally, the Pens should stay in Pittsburgh.

But if they must move, I advocate them moving to a city where palm trees grow, has a large latin american community, and is close to a beach ^_^

Only if the Giants move to Yellowknife

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Ideally, the Pens should stay in Pittsburgh.

But if they must move, I advocate them moving to a city where palm trees grow, has a large latin american community, and is close to a beach  ^_^

Only if the Giants move to Yellowknife

I think Eli Manning would have a tough time adjusting to only three downs and a 110-yard field

But if they must move, I advocate them moving to a city where palm trees grow, has a large latin american community, and is close to a beach ^_^

Tampa, Miami, San Jose, and LA already have teams. Wher are you suggesting they go? LOL :D

But if they must move, I advocate them moving to a city where palm trees grow, has a large latin american community, and is close to a beach  ^_^

Tampa, Miami, San Jose, and LA already have teams. Wher are you suggesting they go? LOL :D

San Diego I guess.

If the Penguins do relocate (they shouldn't!) I say Houston is the #1 market on

Bettman's list.

1. Large Market

2. New Arena

3. Instant rivalry with Dallas

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic Division

New Jersey

N.Y. Islanders

N.Y. Rangers

Philadelphia

Washington

Northeast Division

Boston

Buffalo

Montreal

Ottawa

Toronto

Southeast Division

Atlanta

Carolina

Florida

Nashville

Tampa Bay

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central Division

Chicago

Columbus

Detroit

Minnesota

St. Louis

Northwest Division

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

San Jose

Vancouver

Southwest Division

Anaheim

Dallas

Houston

Los Angeles

Phoenix

If all you need is the town to be as hardcore as Boston fans are, you could put a team anywhere. As long as it had at least 11,000 seats. :D

Hmm, Saskatoon Penguins?

San Diego I guess.

no, San Jose..... Costa Rica.....

I saw, I came, I left.

If the Penguins do relocate (they shouldn't!) I say Houston is the #1 market on

Bettman's list.

1. Large Market

2. New Arena

3. Instant rivalry with Dallas

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic Division

New Jersey

N.Y. Islanders

N.Y. Rangers

Philadelphia

Washington

Northeast Division

Boston

Buffalo

Montreal

Ottawa

Toronto

Southeast Division

Atlanta

Carolina

Florida

Nashville

Tampa Bay

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central Division

Chicago

Columbus

Detroit

Minnesota

St. Louis

Northwest Division

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

San Jose

Vancouver

Southwest Division

Anaheim

Dallas

Houston

Los Angeles

Phoenix

hey you stole my plan. :D

There's no such thing as Penguins in Kansas City

Where are the Panthers in Miami? ^_^

Ummmm.... you might want to do some research. There IS such a thing as a Florida Panther.... http://www.npca.org/wildlife_protection/wi...ida_panther.asp

I know what a Florida Panther is...but are there any in Miami? Or in Sunrise to be specific... :P

Actually Florida Panthers live in the Everglades and that is only about a mile from the Arena.

Not just the Everglades. Infact, one just got hit by a car nearby here recently.

And I'm sure Kansas City has a zoo. If not, well, its not like there were any Penguins in Pittsburgh either.

I'm not trying to start anything, just carious. Do you, in your honest opinion, belive that Kansas City sports fans will support a NHL KC team like they do the Chiefs? Because when you say a city wants "hockey bad" you are implying that the hockey fan base is as hardcore as those in Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, Boston, etc... I'm in no position to make that judgement, but you are. Do you belive a KC team can garner the support that you claim they can when you say they want "hockey bad"?

NO, I honestly don't. If they can only have 1,500 for a UHL Minor League hockey game in Kansas City, why do they need an NHL team? I just don't see it working out again. I just don't. Kansas City does not strike me as a "hockey town".

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

NO, I honestly don't. If they can only have 1,500 for a UHL Minor League hockey game in Kansas City, why do they need an NHL team? I just don't see it working out again. I just don't. Kansas City does not strike me as a "hockey town".

Using the UHL Outlaws as a barometer for KC's viability as a hockey town just destroys the credibility of the arguement. The team got ZERO promotion and the only time they ever got fans was when River Otters fans from around St. Louis would make the trip down I-70 to Kemper.

Trust me, as a UHL fan, I know waaaaay better than that....I'm not about to tout Fort Wayne, Indiana as a site for an NHL team just b/c the Komets draw 7000+ a night..and I'm not about to shoot down the credibility of either St. Louis or Detroit as a "hockey town" just because the River Otters and Mechanics both :censored: the bed.

IF the Pens do decide on KC, it'd be promoted beyond imagination (seeing it's a good fill for the folks in KC to do something after the Chiefs season ends (I could make a Royals joke here, but why kick someone in the nads when they're already down as it is? :lol: )....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

What part of "minor league team in major league market" don't you understand? As stated before, the death of an underpromoted team in a league with somewhat questionable stability really should not be considered an effective barometer of what makes a viable market. <_<

Besides, people probably said similar things about Anaheim's viability 15 years ago... <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What part of "minor league team in major league market" don't you understand? As stated before, the death of an underpromoted team in a league with somewhat questionable stability really should not be considered an effective barometer of what makes a viable market. <_<

Besides, people probably said similar things about Anaheim's viability 15 years ago... <_<

agreed, The Outlaws didn't work only because the team wasn't promoted. Trust me the Scouts worked, the Blades worked, and the KC Penguins will work, KC is a hockey town, it just doesn't have hockey at the moment.

Archived