Sign in to follow this  
Neon_Matrix

The Penguins Close To Officially Moving?

The MTS center has close to 1,000 seats less than Rexall Place. Based on this seasons numbers if the MTS center was sold out for every game it would rank 24th in the league (that is with Pittsburgh being taken out).

Doesn't seem to hurt the Red Sox now does it?

I'd like to see the income coming from corporate sponsers of the Boston Red Sox compared to what the Winnipeg Jets brought in.

Think there'd be a difference?

I'd also like to ask ESPN weather they'd like to show the Boston Red Sox or a new version of the Winnipeg Jets.

Wonder what they'd say?

I'd also like to see the wealth of Boston area businesses and family compared to that of Winnipeg and compare that to ticket prices for a potential hockey team in Winnipeg and the Red Sox.

And finally I'd like to ask some random Joe on the street if they've even heard of a city named Winnipeg before.

As for Kansas City. Is it a hockey town? Maybe, I have no idea. The Blades did well I believe. Other than that I don't know much as I don't live there. Are they a sports town? Yes of course. You don't have to live there to know that and to know that they would support an NHL team very well without a doubt. (Not to mention the fact that the people of Kansas City said they wanted an NHL team the most, and the fact that they've already sold out their new arena before they even have a tennant for it.)

That said, what about Oklahoma City? The Oklahoma City Blazers got over 17,000 people to their last game of the season in the central hockey league. Biggest minor league crowd of the year.

I've already made my sig for if/when they finally move.

NewMAZFAREWELLPENSSIG.png

Obviously, I hope I never get to use it. But, my policy is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Obviously, I hope I never get to use it. But, my policy is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Why is Sid the Kid in it? He hasn't done anything for them!

The MTS center has close to 1,000 seats less than Rexall Place. Based on this seasons numbers if the MTS center was sold out for every game it would rank 24th in the league (that is with Pittsburgh being taken out). Winnipeg isn't going to bring in the TV money tat a bigger market would. Not to mention moving a team out of the States gives the league an even lower profile.

Winnipeg is out of the question. Here is something I ask. Had it not been for the WHA merger would the NHL have ever had teams in Winnipeg and Hartford to begin with? I don't think so.

How exactly does this rule out Winnipeg?

Winnipeg would draw better than six of the teams in the NHL. Not bad, but not great.

When you have playoff calibre teams like Anaheim, Nashville, and New Jersey drawing figures equal to or less than that, and they're still considered long term pieces of the NHL puzzle, why would we immediately exclude Winnipeg from consideration.

Plus, like mentioned earlier, virtually all of those tickets would be bought... no cheap giveaway gimmicks necessary.

We aren't the frontrunner, but we'll run anyway, and don't count us out.

...and JetsOwner.com is great, but sometimes it's a little too much spin even for a diehard Winnipegger.

That said, what about Oklahoma City? The Oklahoma City Blazers got over 17,000 people to their last game of the season in the central hockey league. Biggest minor league crowd of the year.

Oklahoma needs a sports team it dosen't matter what sport they just need a pro team hopefully the hornets stay there. I also wouldn't mind if the pinguins moved to to OK City. O yah who ever made the Winnipeg owener website it very nice.

The MTS center has close to 1,000 seats less than Rexall Place. Based on this seasons numbers if the MTS center was sold out for every game it would rank 24th in the league (that is with Pittsburgh being taken out). Winnipeg isn't going to bring in the TV money tat a bigger market would. Not to mention moving a team out of the States gives the league an even lower profile.

Winnipeg is out of the question. Here is something I ask. Had it not been for the WHA merger would the NHL have ever had teams in Winnipeg and Hartford to begin with? I don't think so.

How exactly does this rule out Winnipeg?

Winnipeg would draw better than six of the teams in the NHL. Not bad, but not great.

When you have playoff calibre teams like Anaheim, Nashville, and New Jersey drawing figures equal to or less than that, and they're still considered long term pieces of the NHL puzzle, why would we immediately exclude Winnipeg from consideration.

Plus, like mentioned earlier, virtually all of those tickets would be bought... no cheap giveaway gimmicks necessary.

We aren't the frontrunner, but we'll run anyway, and don't count us out.

...and JetsOwner.com is great, but sometimes it's a little too much spin even for a diehard Winnipegger.

But you're assuming 100% every night. Yes, that would be better than 6 NHL teams, but if those 6 NHL teams also get the assumed full house each game, Winnipeg would be at the bottom. Everyone can talk about how hockey mad the town is, how much support the team would get, how the community would rally around it, etc., but where are the facts to back up these assumptions?

Why is Sid the Kid in it? He hasn't done anything for them!

He represents the future of the team.

Everyone can talk about how hockey mad the town is, how much support the team would get, how the community would rally around it, etc., but where are the facts to back up these assumptions?

There are REAL reasons "Winnipeg" and "hockey crazed" are synonymous to so many people. Here are some facts:

- In 1995, 35,000 Winnipeggers attended a rally in Winnipeg to save the Jets. People showed up and donated their money to pay for a new arena and save the team. No community has ever showed that kind of support to keep a pro sports team ever.

- Winnipeg has a rich hockey history that goes back over 100 years. Winnipeg was the first city in Western Canada to win the Stanley Cup. Winnipeg was one of 4 Canadian cities selected to host a 1972 Summit Series game.

- Numerous historical hockey celebrations have happened in Winnipeg's famous corner Portage & Main. The signing of both Bobby Hull and Dale Hawerchuk was attended by thousands at the corner and most recently, celebrations for Canada's 2002 Olympic gold medal.

- Winnipeg has more hockey rinks per capita than any city in the world.

- When the World Junior Hockey Championships were in Grand Forks, ND last year, thousands of Winnipegger made the treck south to attend. During the TV broadcasts of Canada's games, a chant of "Go Jets Go" took over the crowd.

- And as Don Cherry said it, "there is no question, Winnipeg has the best hockey fans in the world."

Name ONE non-NHL city that has that kind of enthusiasm for the game.

The MTS center has close to 1,000 seats less than Rexall Place. Based on this seasons numbers if the MTS center was sold out for every game it would rank 24th in the league (that is with Pittsburgh being taken out).

Doesn't seem to hurt the Red Sox now does it?

I'd like to see the income coming from corporate sponsers of the Boston Red Sox compared to what the Winnipeg Jets brought in.

Think there'd be a difference?

I'd also like to ask ESPN weather they'd like to show the Boston Red Sox or a new version of the Winnipeg Jets.

Wonder what they'd say?

I'd also like to see the wealth of Boston area businesses and family compared to that of Winnipeg and compare that to ticket prices for a potential hockey team in Winnipeg and the Red Sox.

And finally I'd like to ask some random Joe on the street if they've even heard of a city named Winnipeg before.

As for Kansas City. Is it a hockey town? Maybe, I have no idea. The Blades did well I believe. Other than that I don't know much as I don't live there. Are they a sports town? Yes of course. You don't have to live there to know that and to know that they would support an NHL team very well without a doubt. (Not to mention the fact that the people of Kansas City said they wanted an NHL team the most, and the fact that they've already sold out their new arena before they even have a tennant for it.)

Why must it be ESPN... I can spin this another way... ask CBC if they'd rather air a Red Sox game or a Jets game.

We have media up here too... that fancy box in my livingroom has movin' pictures.

Why is USA media the only thing that matters when it comes to determining the location of a team?

Does ESPN even show NHL games at all anymore?

no OLN is the official Cable Broadcaster of the NHL in the US

Does ESPN even show NHL games at all anymore?

no OLN is the official Cable Broadcaster of the NHL in the US

However, FSN broadcasts games for local teams. {im sure you guys already knew that}