Twins New Stadium

vikmurphy

What would you like to see for a name to a new Twins stadium?

Of course Puckett Park comes to mind or if they go the coorporate way maybe 3M Stadium or Best Buy Park.

What would you like to see for dimestions for a new Twins Stadium?

LF-350

LFC-380

C-412

RC-380

RF-330

moss_moon.gif

Of course Puckett Park comes to mind

Conventional wisdom says these new stadiums don't get built without the selling of naming rights. It's an "easy" 20 or so mil.

And while the notion of naming at least a part of the park after Puck is a nice thought, it's important to remember that during the latter part of the late slugger's life he allegedly engaged in some activities which might cause the Twins organization to shy away from the kind of permanent tribute which could create some controversy. That said, Puckett's Porch does have a nice ring to it.

Of course Puckett Park comes to mind

Isn't a street near the Metrodome named after Puckett? Although Kirby was the face of the franchise for many years, you can't name stuff just after him.

"Best Buy Park" would be ironic inasmuch as Minnesota taxpayers really don't think it's such a great investment.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Isn't a street near the Metrodome named after Puckett? Although Kirby was the face of the franchise for many years, you can't name stuff just after him.

There is also a street named after Harmon Killebrew in Bloomington, Minn., right next to where old Metropolitan Stadium was.

What stands in place of the old Met is, of course, the Mall of America.

I'd like to see the stadium called Best Buy Ballpark and then take the $20 million they get for that and spend it on some pitching and home run power.

As for the dimesions of the field, since we haven't had a 30 home run hitter since Puckett and Hrbek or some such thing, I think we should have LF line be 500 ft, Center be 770 and LF line to be 600 ft.

THAT might stop Jim Thome from killing us with the longball every time he comes to town! Torii Hunter could use his speed and gold glove to track down those long shots he currently can't get to because of that pesky plastic wall getting in his way and since we dont' hit any homers anyway, the extra distance wouldn't hurt us a bit.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

For some reason, I don't like the idea of naming a ballpark after one player, though. If it's lucky enough to evade naming rights, a park should named for the city, the neighborhood, the owner, or the team. I mean, yeah, Willie Mays is one of the all-time greats, no question, but it doesn't feel right. China Basin Park, maybe?

For some reason, I don't like the idea of naming a ballpark after one player, though. If it's lucky enough to evade naming rights, a park should named for the city, the neighborhood, the owner, or the team. I mean, yeah, Willie Mays is one of the all-time greats, no question, but it doesn't feel right. China Basin Park, maybe?

name it for the OWNER and not Willie? Uh................no. Besides, unless you live here (and even if you do) not everyone knows what 'China Basin' is.

While we're at it----the Yankees are building a new place. Will they call it Yankee Stadium again? Or will he sell the name. You cannot even imagine what name rights would costs for that.

Steinbrenner Park.

:D

name it for the OWNER and not Willie? Uh................no. Besides, unless you live here (and even if you do) not everyone knows what 'China Basin' is.

While we're at it----the Yankees are building a new place. Will they call it Yankee Stadium again? Or will he sell the name. You cannot even imagine what name rights would costs for that.

Steinbrenner Park.

:D

It will be called Yankee Stadium

Well, we've seen Jacobs Field, Wrigley Field, Griffith Stadium, Comiskey Park, Briggs Stadium, Busch Stadium, Kauffman Stadium, Ebbets Field, and others. FWIW, I think Jacobs Field is the next to go; Richard Jacobs doesn't own the team, so much like the erstwhile Gund Arena next door, it'll probably become Prudential Park (baseball at The Prude!) or something very soon.

Magowan Field doesn't really have a ring to it, but yeah, bunches of parks have been named after owners. As for surroundings, there's been Fenway Park, Camden Yards, and so on. I know what the China Basin is. They mention it on broadcasts.

I guess it's just a matter of not having one player be bigger than the rest of the team and its history. So maybe San Francisco Park, China Basin Park, Golden Gate Field, something along those lines. I had kinda wished Enron Field would've become Union Station Grounds or something like that.

I would keep every dimension except make the left-field line 10 feet shorter, and the right-field wall lower maybe 5 feet. As for a name. The Land O'Lakes Cabin...

I saw, I came, I left.

I don't get why the stadiums are named after owners. The government usually pays for the stadium. The owners get the stadium for their team and their name

on the side of it. Like the Bills, Erie County owns the stadium and let Wilson

put his name on it so he will be happy. Put Buffalo Stadium, War Memorial Stadium II or some sponsers name on it.

saBS.png

I wouldn't be surprised to find a "Puckett's Porch" at the new stadium, especially after all of the pomp and circumstance that came with Puck's funeral.

He may not have been a saint at the personal level, but he was the closest thing to it in Minnesota's baseball world.

As for naming rights, I'd agree with most everyone else that Best Buy and 3M would be leading candidates. It could get interesting to see the competition between the Twins, Vikings and Gophers for naming rights should all three get their stadiums.

Archived