Uniform pet peeves

Discrim

for example, the script says Broncos and then they put FASTPITCH on the underscore like somebody's gonna forget what sport they're playing. <_< oh right, this aint rugby. (no :censored:, sherlock)

you never see baseball teams doing this. look ladies, having "Broncos Fastpitch" on a t-shirt is fine, but not on your freaking game jersey :cursing: just the school or team name will suffice, thank you.

Are you talking about the Union Grove Broncos?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This one dosen't bother me so much if you know the history behind why they took the number. Gretzky changed to 99 because when he signed with Edmonton his first contract was to 1999, also it was to honor Gordie Howe too.

*bzzzzt* Wrong. Nice try. You got the Howe part right, but that's why he wore 9 originally, not why he changed to 99.

From Wikipedia:

Gretzky's 99

The Memorial Gardens is the first rink to see Gretzky wear the number '99'. When Gretzky arrived in Sault Ste. Marie, his preferred number 9 (the number of his idol, Gordie Howe) was already in use by linemate Brian Gualazzi. Gretzky briefly donned the number 14 as a Greyhound until general manager Angelo Bumbacco suggested that he wear 99, and thus today's famous representation of 'the Great One' was born. Gretzky's 99 is retired in the rafters, along with Francis' 10, Hartsburg's 4, and Vanbiesbrouck's 1.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Gretzky changed to 99 because when he signed with Edmonton his first contract was to 1999, also it was to honor Gordie Howe, too.

Actually, Gretzky wore 99 back in Junior because when he first started playing for the Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds number 9 was worn by Brian Gualazzi.

When Gretzky was traded from the Indianapolis Racers to the Edmonton Oilers of the WHA he wore number 14 for his first game and switched to 99 after that.

Wayne Gretzky didn't sign his contract extension that would end in 1999 until January 1982.

too many vest jerseys in baseball...it's annoying.

I hate how NFL Reebok replica jersey sizes are inconsistently sized by team...my medium Patriots Willie McGinest jersey fits perfect while my medium Andre Davis Browns jersey is huge...CONSISTENCY PLEASE!

I hate how NBA Reebok replicas are too big...medium? try a large/XL...I gotta take a youth XL jersey for it to fit right!

how old and how big are you?

I'm 24 and I'm 5-8, 150lbs...the old Champion size 44 NBA jerseys fit perfect - baggy, but not too baggy.

Baseball:

Too many caps/jerseys.

Wearing alts too often.

Just add black

Football:

Grey facemasks when grey is not part of the scheme.

Side panels

Buffalo's colored shoulders

Falcon sleeves

Nothing on the sleeves (I know it is because players do not show their sleeves anymore, but the reebok logo is so noticable).

Hockey

Red and black--too many

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Shades of the same color that don't match, for example the Saints' helmets, numbers, and pants.

07-6T8576.jpg

Also, what a previous poster said re the same logo on the helmet and jersey sleeves. Again my Saints score a trifecta since they have the same logo on the helmet, jersey, and pants. :wacko:

08-T8687.jpg

All photos ©Michael C. Hebert from neworleanssaints.com

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

for example, the script says Broncos and then they put FASTPITCH on the underscore like somebody's gonna forget what sport they're playing. <_< oh right, this aint rugby. (no  :censored:, sherlock)

you never see baseball teams doing this.  look ladies, having "Broncos Fastpitch" on a t-shirt is fine, but not on your freaking game jersey :cursing: just the school or team name will suffice, thank you.

Are you talking about the Union Grove Broncos?

yup. unfortunately, now Case's doing it too.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1) Jerseys without players names.

2) The Dodgers' RED numbers...........WHY?!

3) Long pants in baseball.

4) The color black. It's slowly but surely working it's way into EVERY team's uniform, and becoming the dominant color on most of them.

SigReflect.png

Mine:

Rugby League:

? The insistence of teams to move away from a good old turn-down collar.

? The sublimated synthetic jerseys that go white when stretched (the Broncos and the recent Kangaroos)

Hockey:

? The 'Canes logo/jersey

? The Lightning logo (bleargh)

? My Predators' third jersey logo

In general:

? Gradients

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

Baseball:

1) players who wear a shirt under their jersey that's not a team color

2) teams that add black for no reason(Mets)

3) non-white or grey sleeveless jerseys (Rockies)

4) oversized logos on hats (Jays)

5) hats with the first letter of the team name rather than the city

6) teams that have completely different color schemes for home and road (Nationals)

7) teams that take the player names off jerseys for no reason (Cubs, Dodgers)

8) white/grey letters and/or numbers on a white or grey jersey (Jays)

Football:

1) grey facemasks

2) any uniform in which the pants are the darkest part of the uniform (Titans road)

3) piping

4) monochromes

5) weird number fonts

6) side panels

7) different shades of the same color in the same uniform (Cowboys, Saints)

I agree with a lot of what's been written (except how can you hate the Dodger's red numbers... CLASSIC!!)... but my number one pet peeve hasn't been mentioned yet...

The HORRIBLE same color pants/sox combo that is destroying football!!! Now my own team is doing it!!! AARRG!!

Especially bad with stripeless pants, jacksonville!

LEOTARDS MUST DIE!

Baseball

* Too many teams with the city name rather than the team name on their jerseys. For some it's a break with tradition (Pittsburgh) and others it looks just ugly (Cleveland). And for others it would look better to go back to a team name on the road jersey (Kansas City).

* Teams that believe they must have a baseball in their logos.

Basketball

* Yellow or gold uniforms as road uniforms. Those should be used only for home games (see Lakers).

* Teams that believe they must have a basketball in their logos.

Football

* Gray facemasks for teams that don't have silver or gray in their color scheme.

* The nearly sleeveless jerseys.

Hockey

* Not enough to really make a big stink about, except ...

All of the above

* WAY TOO MUCH BLACK. And too much teal, too.

Football:

- gray facemasks, except when its just a traditional icon (Alabama & Notre Dame)

- helmet, jerseys, & pants all in one color (Texas A & M does this sometimes)

Basketball

- jerseys with the wide shoulders

Baseball

- those studid vests

SignatureCCSL.png

Basketball:

Cut down on all the retro jerseys. Use your home and away jerseys, with the alternates worn only on a rare, limited occasion.

Baseball:

No colored jerseys! White at home, grays on the road. Wear those colored jerseys during BP.

Football:

No real problems, since they already have jersey rules limiting the usage of the alternate jersey. Make the teams that play on Thanksgiving Day wear old throwbacks.

Hockey:

Let the home team decide, well in advance, which jersey they will be wearing for each game. Some teams have a better white jersey (Red Wings, Thrashers, Maple Leafs) than their colored, and some have better colored jerseys (Canadiens, Blackhawks, Bruins) than their whites. Keep the alternate jerseys worn to a limited basis.

I know it's already been mentioned once--ok, a few times--but imma take it one step further. It isn't just the NBA--it started in the NFL, permeated teh NBA, showed up in a small form in the NHL, and if it ever makes it into MLB, i think i might throw something. What am I talking about?

ALL THE TWO-TONE BLUE COMBOS WORKING THEIR WAY THROUGH PROFESSIONAL SPORTS!!!

See what North Carolina started? That's their thing, it was original to them. THEN:

The Tennessee Titans carry over their Oilers Columbia, then add navy to it. (Here's a lil request: add some RED ACCENTS TO THAT some kinda way? If I ever get good at concepts, I might try that.)

Then the bug hits the NBA upside the head like the plague. First, the Denver Nuggets (true, yellow may be their offical second color, but then they also haev a royal-looking shade in their team color palettes, too, not to mention their home floor. Anybody else get a feeling of players ballin in the sky when you watch a Nuggets game on TV? Then the alts...i'm done with that.) Second, the Memphis Grizzlies changed up colors. I actually liked their original colors--minus the gold--but it didn't fit Memphis. (I heard they were thinking of going purple and orange and rebranding the team the "Express" due to Memphis being home to FedEx, but oh well...) So anyway, THEY go to blue & blue and--gasp--YELLOW! (What other team did that--oh, DENVER.) THEN, the daggone JAZZ do it. WHY?

Then comes the Atlanta Thrashers with the "true blue" alts. I just don't see how such a light babyish color can possibly work for a team with such a menacing nickname, other than $ from retail sales.

If any team in MLB tries this, its all over. Except maybe for KC, in the form of powder blue roadies. Ah, the days of George Brett and Bo Jackson in those things...

YES I'M ONLY 24 BUT I REMEMBER THIS STUFF.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Second, the Memphis Grizzlies changed up colors.  I actually liked their original colors--minus the gold--but it didn't fit Memphis.  (I heard they were thinking of going purple and orange and rebranding the team the "Express" due to Memphis being home to FedEx, but oh well...)  So anyway, THEY go to blue & blue and--gasp--YELLOW!

heh, not that it makes much of a difference either way, but I figure I'll point out somethin: the Grizz actually use three shades of blue-a very light shade they'd wanted to use for the home jersey's base color (think the post background from here), and then your basic powder and navy.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

See what North Carolina started? That's their thing, it was original to them.

YES I'M ONLY 24 BUT I REMEMBER THIS STUFF.

Wow, Nellie!

You "remember" wrong. I'm only 30, and I remember differently. Don't pin this trend on us now... :therock:

UNC didn't use any navy for decades. Check any pictures of Jordan while he was in the Southern Part of Heaven. Just Carolina blue and white. The basketball team didn't wear any navy at all until the Alexander Julian redesign, which occurred after the Dean Dome was opened in 1986. The football team used it sparingly as number outlining to provide contrast between light (Carolina blue) and lighter (white), in the same way the Tennessee football team put black outlining around the numbers on the white football jerseys. A minimally-used trim color does not qualify UNC for two-tone status the way you're describing it, like the Titans or Grizzlies do.

By that point, the Royals rocked 2-tone blue. Like the Blue Jays and the Brewers and the Mariners and the Braves - all powder blue with royal blue. And the Toronto Argonauts. And the Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers of the USFL. And the Buffalo Braves of the NBA.

That's 2 threads where you've misrepresented the colors of the alma mater. <_<

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived