Uniform pet peeves

Discrim

See what North Carolina started? That's their thing, it was original to them.

YES I'M ONLY 24 BUT I REMEMBER THIS STUFF.

My bad, I should have clarified that. When I said I "remember" I was referring to those bad-ass KC Royals unis of the '80's. And yeah I do remember Jordan in the columbia/whites. (quick curiosity: wasn't james worthy also on that squad with Jordan?)

It's cool, tho. No harm done.

And btw, I COMPLETELY forgot about the Buffalo Braves. Them joints was HARD!

But seriously, though--how about pro sports choosing some DIFFERENT colors besides about 2500 shades of blue? Some of it looks alright, but that trend, IMHO, is gettin a tadbit out of hand...

just my two Lincolns.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't like is when a team (usually NBA) has a "throwback" night, but the only thing "throwback" it the home team's jersey design. At least have the visiting team wear a throwback design also (if they have one). What I would like to see on a "throwback" night would be this: home team in throwback, visiting team in throwback, and change the court to match the jerseys. If you want to go really far, change the jerseys to the size they were when the team wore those throwbacks (as in shorter shorts and jerseys). That would be a "throwback" night!

Here's my pet peeves with some examples...

Football: Leotard look (Jags) with the pants and the socks, gray facemasks (Colts), logos above the nameplates (Thanks Cards), symbols (Bengals) instead of the small wordmark, teams wearing white at home, sleeves with nothing on it (Broncos), and nameplates that are just one color (Bucs) when the numbers are two or three colors.

Hockey: Lace up necks (Rangers), square necks (Preds), and aways/alts that are a completely different jersey (Oilers) or logo instead of just being another color (Blackhawks).

Baseball: When batting helmets and field hats do not match, when team's alt is just a sleeveless or pinstripe version of the normal uniform, the Dodgers red numbers, the Rockies sleeveless color softball uniforms, or teams making a throwback a normal everyweek thing (Brewers).

Basketball: Too many throwbacks, teams wearing colors at home, and the fact that there really is no "uniform" other than the shirt/shorts. What I mean is, guys have different color socks, undershirts, leggings, etc now.

KISSwall09.jpg

Players with numbers like 79 and 87. Just cause Gretzky had a high number back in the day, now everyone else wants one too.

Amen, this is my pet peeve. In my day defencemen wore 2-9 (or so), forwards were from about 8 up to the mid 20ies, then the third line defencemen and recent call-ups were mid 20ies to 29. Goalies were 1 or 30 ... maybe a 29 or 31.

Of course, the rules were never written down like football, Jean Belliveau got away with wearing #4 as a forward.

And all the players had brush cuts, and needed summer jobs to make ends meet ... and only the weirdoes, chickens and guys with exposed brain tissue wore helmets.

God, I'm getting old!

Make the teams that play on Thanksgiving Day wear old throwbacks.

I really, REALLY like that idea.

And don't just have the Lions and Cowboys wear the throwbacks. Have the other teams wear throwbacks, too. It just adds some fun to the No Fun League.

Players with numbers like 79 and 87. Just cause Gretzky had a high number back in the day, now everyone else wants one too.

Amen, this is my pet peeve. In my day defencemen wore 2-9 (or so), forwards were from about 8 up to the mid 20ies, then the third line defencemen and recent call-ups were mid 20ies to 29. Goalies were 1 or 30 ... maybe a 29 or 31.

Of course, the rules were never written down like football, Jean Belliveau got away with wearing #4 as a forward.

And all the players had brush cuts, and needed summer jobs to make ends meet ... and only the weirdoes, chickens and guys with exposed brain tissue wore helmets.

God, I'm getting old!

Well, I was always 89 when I played hockey, after Anaheim's dynamic duo of Selanne and Kariya. Nothing wrong with high numbers, I guess you despise Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, and Phil Esposito's choice of numbers also?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

my biggest pet peeves are threads about pet peeves when I know the majority of you guys all hate the same thing over and over.

okay i get the point you people hate:

mono colors

new age stripes

old school unis

gray face masks

black shoes

leotard pants and socks

anything new within the last 15 years

i understand you people don't like anything new

Make the teams that play on Thanksgiving Day wear old throwbacks.

I really, REALLY like that idea.

And don't just have the Lions and Cowboys wear the throwbacks. Have the other teams wear throwbacks, too. It just adds some fun to the No Fun League.

This is something that's always puzzled me, why seemingly the same teams always gets tuck playing on Thanksgiving. Poor Detroit--its become tradition for them. The only other ones I can think of right off top of my head that regularly play Thanksgiving are the Dolphins, Cowboys, and the Patriots (although I remember the Broncos playing one as well as the Steelers--and we all know what happened with them--"coin toss" maybe?)

Give these guys a break, please. I'm quite sure some of them would like to be with their families for Thanksgiving, too. Put the Falcons on in their old-school red-and-silvers with the red helmet, or the Redskins in the yellow shell with the encircled "R", or the old '70's-style Eagles joints from the Herman Edwards days, or even the Randall Cunningham-era joints. Or how about--here's one--the Dan Fouts-era Chargers, or the blue-and-white Rams of the Deacon Jones heyday. Get some of these teams on Thanksgiving, NFL. Rotate the teams around instead of playing the same ones over and over again. Number one, it'd give the poor Lions and at least the 'Boys a break for ONCE (and Detroit can USE a break), and then two, it'd give the fans something fresh and new to look at while revisiting the yesteryear designs of other teams. (How about those old-school Steeler joints with the TV sleeve #s in diamonds, or even the triangle-shouldered one? Know what I'm talkin bout?)

Just some new teams, new looks. That's all I'm saying.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Give these guys a break, please. I'm quite sure some of them would like to be with their families for Thanksgiving, too.

But my understanding about Detroit is that's one of the charms about playing for the Lions, or being a Lions fan. And let's face it, they don't have many other charms.

Give these guys a break, please. I'm quite sure some of them would like to be with their families for Thanksgiving, too.

But my understanding about Detroit is that's one of the charms about playing for the Lions, or being a Lions fan. And let's face it, they don't have many other charms.

Dallas and Detroit are the two teams which play on Thanksgiving every year. Detroit has done it the longest, and (IIRC) the Cowboys began to play home games on Thanksgiving as a ploy to improve the team's visibility to the average fan. It seems to have worked. :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

IMO, every white hockey jersey MUST have something along the bottom of it. It doesn't have to be at the very bottom, like every white Original Six jersey but Boston, and it doesn't have to occupy the entire bottom, like Buffalo or Pittsburgh. But something MUST be there and MUST occupy a good amount of the space there. To date, the only NHL jersey I can think of that had this issue was the Ducks alternate from 1998, but a lot of international team jerseys have that problem. The new swift jerseys don't solve this problem either because the stripes going along the sides of the jersey are so thin.

IMO, color jerseys that are the same color as the pants don't necessarily need anything along the bottom at all. The uniformness that runs down the entire Flyers black uniform looks awesome. The Canucks could follow suit and look great, as could the Oilers and Senators.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

even though i already made post i thought of more pet peves. I hate it when the home and away jerseys are completly different styles ie the washington capitals and it dosent even have to be a different style jerseys just a different logo like the thrashers that makes me mad. I dont like teams who wear vintage jerseys of a different team like how the heat and the grizziles wear jerseys of completley different teams who just played in the city. I dont like it when teams have third jersey that is in a vintage style like the wilds alternate. well thats about it.

the only thing that bothers me is when a team uses a home jersey and a road jersey that don't match, especially in hockey. The road jersey should be just a white version of your dark color jersey. The Ottawa Senators are the worst offenders, they have 3 different jerseys from 3 different eras.

PvO6ZWJ.png

the only thing that bothers me is when a team uses a home jersey and a road jersey that don't match, especially in hockey. The road jersey should be just a white version of your dark color jersey. The Ottawa Senators are the worst offenders, they have 3 different jerseys from 3 different eras.

They may be offenders in that case, but you have to give it to them, all 3 jerseys are nice.

Brendan, you realize that the Wild have pushed the retro idea since the very beginning of its existence? The Thirds are quite slick imo, though I would have gone for something better on the chest.

Well, I was always 89 when I played hockey, after Anaheim's dynamic duo of Selanne and Kariya. Nothing wrong with high numbers, I guess you despise Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, and Phil Esposito's choice of numbers also?

Wasn't happy with it ... though Bourque was sort of forced into it by a jersey retirement thing.

Still seems wrong to me to see numbers above 36 or so.

For decades in the NHL it was #s 1-30 (give or take).

Call me old fashioned.

Brendan, you realize that the Wild have pushed the retro idea since the very beginning of its existence? The Thirds are quite slick imo, though I would have gone for something better on the chest.

how so the only thing retro about them is those ugly thirds.

even though i already made post i thought of more pet peves. I hate it when the home and away jerseys are completly different styles ie the washington capitals and it dosent even have to be a different style jerseys just a different logo like the thrashers that makes me mad. I dont like teams who wear vintage jerseys of a different team like how the heat and the grizziles wear jerseys of completley different teams who just played in the city. I dont like it when teams have third jersey that is in a vintage style like the wilds alternate. well thats about it.

If I remember correctly, the Thrashers were the only team, at least in the 1999-2000 season, that had two different logos on their home and away jerseys. I thought it was a unique touch for a franchise trying to make a name for itself, and saying "We're not going to be a traditional NHL team, we're gonna do things our own way!". Different logos on their home and away jerseys, sleeves on the alternates that don't reflect each other.....give the designers credit, they're doing things that make heads turn towards them.

Wasn't happy with it ... though Bourque was sort of forced into it by a jersey retirement thing.

Still seems wrong to me to see numbers above 36 or so.

For decades in the NHL it was #s 1-30 (give or take).

Call me old fashioned.

Tony O was 35 & the Mighty Gilles Meloche 27

different #'s for goalies.

The first departures were Espo & Hodge when they were traded to the Rangers.

Espo took 77 and Hodge 88 as their numbers were already taken.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I guess you despise Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, and Phil Esposito's choice of numbers also?

I don't have a problem with that actually. In this case, look at the players you are talking about.

Maybe I should qualify it a little bit....I think my pet peeve really is with mediocre players doing it. Journeyman fourth-liners or something.

A high number in hockey, to me, seems to be a way of drawing attention to yourself.

Okay for guys named Gretzky and Esposito but maybe not for the Donald Brashears of the world.

Archived