Uniform pet peeves

Discrim

even though i already made post i thought of more pet peves. I hate it when the home and away jerseys are completly different styles ie the washington capitals and it dosent even have to be a different style jerseys just a different logo like the thrashers that makes me mad. I dont like teams who wear vintage jerseys of a different team like how the heat and the grizziles wear jerseys of completley different teams who just played in the city. I dont like it when teams have third jersey that is in a vintage style like the wilds alternate. well thats about it. 
If I remember correctly, the Thrashers were the only team, at least in the 1999-2000 season, that had two different logos on their home and away jerseys. I thought it was a unique touch for a franchise trying to make a name for itself, and saying "We're not going to be a traditional NHL team, we're gonna do things our own way!". Different logos on their home and away jerseys, sleeves on the alternates that don't reflect each other.....give the designers credit, they're doing things that make heads turn towards them.

why should i give the designer credit when i think it looks stupids.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
even though i already made post i thought of more pet peves. I hate it when the home and away jerseys are completly different styles ie the washington capitals and it dosent even have to be a different style jerseys just a different logo like the thrashers that makes me mad. I dont like teams who wear vintage jerseys of a different team like how the heat and the grizziles wear jerseys of completley different teams who just played in the city. I dont like it when teams have third jersey that is in a vintage style like the wilds alternate. well thats about it. 
If I remember correctly, the Thrashers were the only team, at least in the 1999-2000 season, that had two different logos on their home and away jerseys. I thought it was a unique touch for a franchise trying to make a name for itself, and saying "We're not going to be a traditional NHL team, we're gonna do things our own way!". Different logos on their home and away jerseys, sleeves on the alternates that don't reflect each other.....give the designers credit, they're doing things that make heads turn towards them.

should i give the designer credit when i think it looks stupids.

Glass houses Vancouver fan...Glass houses. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well first ,

Hockey: Well I really don't care . Just I wish the Number's had a real system .

Baseball: I don't care for the vest & how does purple get into Baseball ? Teams are getting to far away from there orgin , But I just wish there was a balance with the who wears what color on what day . a month ago I couldn't tell the difference between the Red's & Nat's because the Nat's were the ones in bright RED & the Red's were in grey & black :blink: But I would like to see more groups & combos of colors then all of the same thing , but still Grey road Uni's & white at home but for a few teams & a 3rd Uni .

Basketball : Not bad really , I mean I like that everyone got away from putting a logo that takes up half the jersey & being all cartoonish looking . To some slick looking duds , But now the next step is everyone wearing white at home & colors on the road , or switch it I don't care , but one or the other please & like someone else said I like Blue but come on there are more colors to pick from I don't know who is playing when I am in the Bar anymore everyone is some shade of blue or Red & Black & someother random color , (but the Bulls Red & Black & white all the way) I just want teams to pick a freaking color & go with it . plus I hate those logos on the back of the Uni

Football: I don't know where to start , you have so many that have the same format but then you have all these new ones that look like they bet up some Arena guys & took their duds ( Vikings Falcons & Cardinals) But the Cardinals besides adding the surname on the back in 1970 like all NFL teams & that Arizona flag patch , they have not changed at all & needed a Change .

But someone said before talking about the Saints & teams with the same freaking logo on the helmet sleeves & pants , That just looks stupid as crap I miss the State of Louisiana Patch the Saints , had & for the Jags & there solid black looks like tights , I don't mind it but its not my favorite & I live in Jacksonville it should be like a Jag Head sheild or something at least not the same thing I like secondary logos ThankGiving should be a throwback must for anyteam even if houston is playing make them look like some old uni form back in the 70's or something with block numbers . Like in Basketball & BaseBall Teams need to stop coping each other all the blues & all the teams with Red & blue or the same pattern for their Jerseys like arizona looking a lot like Atlanta , & why is everyone that did wear orange just deside not to . its' all blue now or something else , I like Alt Jerseys it gives another view of that team , just pick a jersey & stick with it . :therock:

Last some Teams need to take the BLACK OUT , get some more REd & orange back in to the League

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Those underwear shirts the Pittsburgh Pirates wear.

When the helmet of a football team doesn't have a logo.

The long underwear all the NBA players wear.

When the helmet of a hockey player, has a logo that is differnet from the logo on the chest.

Joe Thornton's pants.

That one 76ers player with long pants.

When the logo on the pants is on the backside.(GS Warriors)

The color orange in general.

When Michigan and Illinois play at home with the same jersey as they do on the road.

brettfavre.png

1. People using the term "pet peeve."

2. Unneccessary use of black (49ers, 76ers, Bills, Mets).

3. The Marlins abandoning teal.

4. Logos on the back of NBA and NFL jerseys (Bulls, Cardinals, Vikings).

5. The Seattle Seahawks.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Baseball: I don't care for the vest & how does purple get into Baseball?

Find the lyrics for "America the Beautiful". Read down to the part about "the purple mountains' majesty", then check where Denver is located, and see if you can figure out how naming a team "the Rockies" and playing in said majestic purple mountains might have led a design team to put purple into their color scheme.

While you're at it, ask the Vikings and Lakers how purple got into their mix, as it's seemed to work pretty well for them. It's only been the color of royalty (and thus of power and wealth) for 2 or 3 millenia - can't imagine why someone would want to be associated with that... <_<

People who wear the number 0 or 00.

Add #69 to that list. Yes, we all get it. Now stop it, it's neither funny nor original - yet every team (at the lower levels and rec-league level especially) has a guy who's gotta be "that guy".

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I am really disappointed how the current baseball uniform manufacturers do not evenly space the buttons when no letters appear in the center of the chest. Wilson always made an effort to space the buttons the right way, but Russell never did. These days, Majestic only does it right on the Cubs' white and blue jerseys, as well as the Nationals' red and Devil Rays' green jerseys. I don't know why it doesn't carry over to the Red Sox, Yankees, White Sox, and so on.

Here is a White Sox alternate manufactured by Wilson with the buttons sewn on correctly.

48032e.jpg

And a lazy effort by Russell.

48037a.jpg

A Jim Rice jersey from the 80's.

50427a.jpg

A recent Majestic Red Sox jersey.

38092a.jpg

...The Tennessee Titans carry over their Oilers Columbia, then add navy to it.  (Here's a lil request: add some RED ACCENTS TO THAT some kinda way?  If I ever get good at concepts, I might try that.)...

Are you talking 'bout something like the Titan-owned AFL Nashville Kats' jerseys? All Nike did was take the Titans' smurf alts. and put fickin red piping and and ginormous red stripe down the side. At first I didn't like it, but it's grown on me (unlike their albino road unis).

Home:VEXXYFNXYWXFAVG.20050227031013.jpg

Away:LDKMTETUCWWUAYB.20060507162800.jpg

I might as well add a 'pet peeve' here. What the crap is wrong with Uncle Bud "Penny Pincher" Adams that he can't buy some different helmets for the Kats? They look like their name should be the Nashville Turf Titans. Plus, they should have kept the old black and blue logo/unis and used the guitar neck pant stripe they used in their early days.

...Second, the Memphis Grizzlies changed up colors.  I actually liked their original colors--minus the gold--but it didn't fit Memphis.  (I heard they were thinking of going purple and orange and rebranding the team the "Express" due to Memphis being home to FedEx, but oh well...)  So anyway, THEY go to blue & blue and--gasp--YELLOW!  (What other team did that--oh, DENVER.)  THEN, the daggone JAZZ do it.  WHY?...

A) What gold? I too liked their colors, but the logo had to change. The teal 'GRIZZLIES' wordmark was ridiculous, but the 'MEMPHIS' on their unis looked pretty kickin'

2) I can confirm thae 'Express' rumor. I actually emailed the Grizz's office about it after I heard that, and they emailed me back saying that they tested several names and that 'Grizzlies' tested best. If I can find the email, I'll post it on here. I also heard that the NBA wouldn't allow a business name a team like FedEx wanted to.

Baseball: I don't care for the vest & how does purple get into Baseball?

Find the lyrics for "America the Beautiful". Read down to the part about "the purple mountains' majesty", then check where Denver is located, and see if you can figure out how naming a team "the Rockies" and playing in said majestic purple mountains might have led a design team to put purple into their color scheme.

While you're at it, ask the Vikings and Lakers how purple got into their mix, as it's seemed to work pretty well for them. It's only been the color of royalty (and thus of power and wealth) for 2 or 3 millenia - can't imagine why someone would want to be associated with that... <_<

People who wear the number 0 or 00.

Add #69 to that list. Yes, we all get it. Now stop it, it's neither funny nor original - yet every team (at the lower levels and rec-league level especially) has a guy who's gotta be "that guy".

I agree about the # 69 thing. It's stupid and lame, but whats wrong with 0 or 00?? I wore # 0 for a season or two back in the day.

One of my favorite things about hockey is that there is no number system. There's no real reason for one. I like how it's generally understood that defensemen take low numbers and a lot of goalies are #30-39, but it's not a rule. I'm really surprised to find out that actually bothers people. Wow.

Ditto on the whole "69" thing in pick-up leagues, I always want to put that guy into the glass for being such a dork.

Speaking of #69, I took this on my 2004 preseason trip to Lambeau to see the Saints and Packers. There are some stories one just doesn't need to know. :D

Do%20We%20Really%20Want%20to%20Know.jpg

To see more of that trip, go here and scroll down about halfway. There are Falcons training camp pics right after the Lambeau shots. Click on a pic to see a larger version.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I have only a few complaints:

-There are too many baseball teams using red and blue. I like my country as much as the next American, but I think 11 teams using red and blue together in some form is a bit too much. The Reds bringing blue back to their uniforms does not help the case. Some teams use red and blue very well, but let's bring in some other colors for some other teams.

-As people have mentioned before, there are a few NBA teams that have boring, unoriginal looks. Memphis and Golden State look just about alike. There's nothing special about the uniforms the Jazz wear.

-The Vikings' new uniforms are awful! Everything they've ever worn is better than what they're about to wear this year. Why the change? Who ever complained about the Vikings the way they looked? You don't have to splash yellow everywhere to make a neat uniform.

-On that same note, I hated it when the Broncos changed uniforms. Like the Giants are associated with blue and the Vikings are associated with purple, the Broncos are associated with orange. Orange should be the predominant color on the jerseys. Orange with the set they have now (which I never liked, by the way) just doesn't look right. Bring back the previous set.

-Four NFL teams in particular should scrap their black uniforms: Baltimore, Jacksonville, Philadelphia and Detroit. Black tops just look odd on these teams.

-I hope that the NHL will change its mind and make the home team wear white in all games. It'll be better that way, trust me.

-The Flyers have destroyed their orange jerseys. Bring back the white numbers; that's all I ask.

-Finally, I dislike all the piping that is being placed on the jerseys of some college football teams. Particularly, Miami (Florida) and Arizona have awful striping patterns. What was wrong with solid-colored tops?

Other than that, everything is OK. The majority of sports uniforms are very well done, but there are a few teams that should consider changes.

Here's something I noticed a long while ago and never made mention of until now. I'm pretty sure it was a licensing deal (it had to be) that saved the league a lot of money, but how about DAMN NEAR EVERY TEAM IN THE AFL USING EXACTLY THE SAME JERSEY STYLES? One can see it in the Kats photos up above. Different teams--why can't they have different styles? It's like plug-and-play with the old Maimi Hurricane uni style Nike first introduced to the world (only to change two or three years later). Put a color here, put a color there, use a different color for the piping--KAZAAM--AFL uni. Or at least the majority of them have started doing that.

Oh well--if that helps the AFL make some money by saving them some, then so be it. Frankly I like their product better than the NFL anyway.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

In football, I quite like the number 69. Disregarding the sexual connations, the rotational symmetry looks really nice on the TV numbers.

QUOTE (bucco_B @ Friday, May 12th, 2006 - 16:05:57)

...Second, the Memphis Grizzlies changed up colors.  I actually liked their original colors--minus the gold--but it didn't fit Memphis.  (I heard they were thinking of going purple and orange and rebranding the team the "Express" due to Memphis being home to FedEx, but oh well...)  So anyway, THEY go to blue & blue and--gasp--YELLOW!  (What other team did that--oh, DENVER.)  THEN, the daggone JAZZ do it.  WHY?...

A) What gold? I too liked their colors, but the logo had to change. The teal 'GRIZZLIES' wordmark was ridiculous, but the 'MEMPHIS' on their unis looked pretty kickin'

2) I can confirm thae 'Express' rumor. I actually emailed the Grizz's office about it after I heard that, and they emailed me back saying that they tested several names and that 'Grizzlies' tested best. If I can find the email, I'll post it on here. I also heard that the NBA wouldn't allow a business name a team like FedEx wanted to.

My bad...thinkin about the lil bit of gold they used during their baby years in Vancouver. Those was some cool colors they had--black, electric red and whatever shade of green that was. Liked those.

One other thing that still kinda burns me is the Jags' recent pseudo-dismissal of teal from their road unis (it's still there as a MINIMALIST trim color. Teal IS the Jags. I know black is meaner and leaner, but I say bring back the teal! Black helmet, teal jersey, black pants for home (the ones wit the stripes on them). Oh well...guess it'll be another 3 or 4 years b4 we see anything new from Jax since teams must allow 5 years between uni changes per NFL rules (which I personally think is kinda dumb).

Actually, I think pants without striping kinda look--well, plain, to say the least. IMO not exactly fit for an NFL team (Jags, Rams...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived