chicago shamrox

Hmm. They replaced the "cks" with simply "x". What an original and fun idea! Now spelling the name out takes less time. And with the letter x used in place of the conventional s, makes it plural! Good golly gee whiz, gosh darnit to heck! How hip is that!?

But don't you get it! You call lacrosse "Lax" for short. Of course, an insane number of teams in NLL must conform to that standard.

So it's not supposed to be shamrocks. What they were really going for was shamrocrosse.

Hmm. They replaced the "cks" with simply "x". What an original and fun idea! Now spelling the name out takes less time. And with the letter x used in place of the conventional s, makes it plural! Good golly gee whiz, gosh darnit to heck! How hip is that!?

But don't you get it! You call lacrosse "Lax" for short. Of course, an insane number of teams in NLL must conform to that standard.

So it's not supposed to be shamrocks. What they were really going for was shamrocrosse.

Strangely enough, it equals the team name in silliness! B)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I think Gameplan Design came up with that logo. They're in the Chicago area.

now I know why the logo sucks so much

I thought he refused to do minor league stuff. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think Gameplan Design came up with that logo. They're in the Chicago area.

now I know why the logo sucks so much

I thought he refused to do minor league stuff. :rolleyes:

As much as I don't particularily care for the guy, I don't think his company did the logo.

It doesn't really have someone's style to it, so I can't pinpoint who did it. I know flynn has done work for the NLL, but I don't see this as his work.

There is only one thing I do like about this logo, the lacrosse stick as a leg of the X. It was well rendered in an otherwise average logo.

They should barely call themselves a Chicago team. Their arena is about 50 miles from the city. Kinda in the boonies.

They should be the Suburrrrrban Shamroxxx!

Not to be nitpicky or anything, but Hoffman Estates is only about 30 miles away from Chicago and is maybe about a thirty minute trip right down I-90.

They should barely call themselves a Chicago team.  Their arena is about 50 miles from the city. Kinda in the boonies.

Not to be nitpicky or anything, but Hoffman Estates is only about 30 miles away from Chicago and is maybe about a thirty minute trip right down I-90.

Sweet! This debate again!

Its the Chicago Area. If someone is from Hoffman Estates and they are in California and they are asked where they live, 9 times out of 10 they'll say "Chicago"

Chicago is one of a kind. But Hoffman Estates could be a subdivision anywhere.

They should barely call themselves a Chicago team. Their arena is about 50 miles from the city. Kinda in the boonies.

it's not that far... I live in Vernon Hills about 35 miles North of the city; and Hoffman Estates is near O'hare ans Shaumburg. Hoffman Estates is not on the outskirts of Chicagoland.

and that logo sucks (or shall I say, suX) ass.

Shamrocks could work. "Shamrox" won't and never will. And certainly not with that logo. If they had just gone with the conventional "Shamrocks" and used a stylized shamrock as their logo (like Zephyr's Notre Dame X-Line shamrock,) they would have had a huge market for their merchandise. The South Side Irish contingent would have gobbled that stuff up, even if most of them don't give a flying fluff about indoor lacrosse. As it is, the shredded shamrock (rok?) and goofy spelling will be embraced by only the sport's and team's most hardcore devotees.

Also, the absurd angle of the whole thing gives me flashbacks to the Edmonton Rush. Which, as you might be able to guess, is not a positive.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So it may not be 50 miles, but it sure feels like it. You must have forgotten about our horrible traffic. I used to do the drive from downtown to Sears (They will play next door) once a week. An hour or hour and a half was the norm. It's still pretty far by most standards. Anyway, out there it doesn't feel like Chicago anymore. Sprawl.

BUT what else are they gonna call the team? I just think you could say Chicago has an edge to it, so spell it "ShamroX", albeit stupid. Out there there's homes and fields, businesses, and a few strip malls. Not so edgy or "extreme" as the dumb name implies.

So how far is Foxboro from Boston? The Pats changed to New England.

And the logo...still no word on the designer?

As a big fan of the NLL (and at this point, unfortunately a Bandits fan after yesterday), I like the name. I would've rather had Shamrocks, but I guess there are a couple things at work here:

1) Victoria Shamrocks of the WLA. Didn't want to step on their toes, especially considering they employ a bunch of NLL'ers.

2) There is a lacrosse equipment company called "Shamrock Lacrosse", so I don't think Rbk wants anything to do with helping spread the name of a competitor.

All in all, it's better than "Freeze", "Chill", and "Breeze". (The other candidates)

Archived