An interesting find.

Mings

I find his talk of "jealousy" and "sports logo designer 'wannabees'" to be absolutely laughable. I, for one, have no desire whatsoever to go into the design business. Sports logos and uniforms are my hobby. I happen to be going into my senior year of majoring in Civil Engineering at LMU, and I'm starting an internship with the Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts in 2 weeks, both of which not having any association to trying to throw everything away to design logos for a living. I do use illustrator, but I only got it because of the student discount offered by gradware, and I'm still very much a hack at it. So, it's clear that O'Grady is blind to the fact that this community is a lot more than just a bunch of "wannabees" going after their big break, and maybe if he would put the mirror down, he could see that the main reason that we're here is because we might actually enjoy sports branding, and not necessarily wish to drop everything to get in the business.

VmWIn6B.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I've got no axe to grind with anyone here really, but looking at the entirety of this blog I see nothing but venom, directed at anyone even perceived to have slighted him in some delusional fashion. It's sad that anyone would spend so much of their time, effort and energy on such childish brooding.

nav-logo.png

The comments submission form is subject to authorization from the author.  All comments you leave will be read by him, but it is his discretion to post them.

This sounds like something the Bush administration would think up. Wait, they have -- it's called review and supression of scientific findings in EPA and FDA reports.

Back on topic, I'm 38 (with two kids, living near the Mason-Dixon Line, like Gueman), I'm a lawyer and I would be hard pressed to use MS Paint for anything but a bad night sky (dots on a dark blue background). I guess I don't fit his profile.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

*shakes head*

Man, this guy is a few fries short of a Happy Meal if you ask me.

Yeah, I'm 31 and I work as a facilities assistant manager at an office building out in Fairfield County. I'm still learning the finer points of designing my own stuff on Sodipodi (don't have the funds to get Illustrator), but I'm not looking to make a career of it...designing unis and the like has kinda been a hobby of mine for ages...

Yep, I sure fit O'Grady's profile to a flippin' T :upside:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Well, I guess we all have our own story.

In a sense, I do fit his description to a T. I'm 25, I've been running a very small marketing communication firm in Pittsburgh that serves just a handful of clients. I've designed a couple of sports-related logos, nothing that would be as impressive as doing a pro-sports logo, but a couple of designs that I feel comfortable with nonetheless. I would love, LOVE the opportunity to create a pro-sports logo. However, most of my design is related to corporate and real estate identity.

For the record: That's my "night job." I have a career outside of my piddling on Illustrator.

Sports design, in my opinion, is a pretty exciting combination between art and sports. While people feel allegiance to a corporate logo, I've seen much fewer individuals with a GE logo tattooed to their shoulder than a Steelers logo in a similar spot. It's a gorgeous area of design where your work is instantly "owned," like family, by thousands or millions of people. Sports design presents challenges, individually (through our creativity), collectively (through its acceptance), and legally (through other people profiting in a myriad ways unfairly). There is no way to describe, without sounding childish or just plan strange, how I feel when I see a Steelers logo on a trip to Europe, a Pirates logo in a sea of blue and red at a game at Wrigley, or the old version of the El Paso Diablos logo. It's not a sports team's identity, it's the fan's identity.

I do feel sorry for Mr. O' Grady. Not realizing that he is so lucky, so blessed to be able to be doing what he does for a living is very sad. We have so many artists on this board (not me) that truly are interested in sitting in exactly his same seat. It's sad to see someone with such the opportunity to help and yet completely denies that responsibility.

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

Recent Donors:

Andy Gronneberg - $17

Christopher Griffen - $3

SingerNet - $27

Thomas O'Grady - $50

Anthony Memme - $10

Now I see why he is so mad.....He gave ya 50 bucks and you banned him. :D

He donated after I banned him... that's what professionals do, after they're punished for their behaviour they slip the officer a little cash.

Hope you're paying attention wannabe designers.

chris ur my hero

Wow. This is the guy that continuously spammed this community to join his blog a couple weeks back, which didn't have a post since 2003 or something ridiculous. If we're so terrible, why does he want us to become his audience? And he donated?! Now he rips us?

I agree that comments about this should be made here -- if anywhere at all. Let his place stay the wasteland that it is. No one's reading it. Don't let him ride on this forum's coattails. In fact, I'm sure we're his entire audience, so let's just leave his site for good (and ignore future rants) and let it die.

I'm very concerned he's going to build an audience on our backs. Heck, eventually even his blog will be found when people are looking for this site because he uses Chris' name and every possible URL. (BTW, I don't mind at all being called a "Creamer" -- we're all Creamers now!)

I've been quiet for a while but here comes the soapbox?

I am quite dismayed at this situation. For someone who is a principal at major firm, with the level of experience and talent that he probably surrounds himself to go out of his way to slight the members and the creator of this board for sharing logos and concepts. The membership generally talks matter-of-factly about a common interest, their likes and dislikes. Is it that terrible. Will the world end. I think not. We like sports. We like logos. We like to talk. It is a community and every community has their fair share of gossip. You term members as jealous, wrong adjective bud, at least in my opinion. Excited, curious, these are words I think would be more in line with the majority of the members of this board. You should be happy that people take interest in the things you create, whether their opinion is positive or negative, you can still draw off of their comments on your particular rendering of the next great logo, I'm sure you have "borrowed" from various sources over the years. It doesn't make you a bad person, it's the attitude that does that.

Did you ever stop and think that a majority of this board purchases the merchandise that you design thus giving the team a portion of money that you charge for your branding expertise. This membership IS a part of your target audience and to come down upon them is just not good business. It just boggles my mind, do you get off on some of the things you have posted. Did it make you feel better than those who are not it the "know"? Please, let me know, I'm curious.

In regards to leaking concepts, believe me I understand the investment of both time and money in the development of the next great identity, I deal with it everyday. It is the nature of the beast to want to get out. Yes, some members are better sleuths than others but it's obvious that somewhere along the line between firm and client during the design process, the whole confidentialty clause gets brushed aside by one or more people therefore exposing some concept that may not be ready to see the light of day. You blame us, that's funny. It most likely comes from within your pipeline. Here's a scoop for you? the time has come for me to leak the truth and it's an exclusive. Sorry Chris, the truth needs to be posted. I know his true identity, Chris Creamer is the snooperhero known as Creamerman, he goes all over the country, he especially likes Chicago (lots of tall buildings for his web spinning skills) and with his trusty camera snaps pictures of soon to be released team designs just to foil your master plans and post them on his site to spoil the official unveiling (Insert evil laugh over cheesy '70's cartoon music here). Yeah, I think not. See I can fabricate too. So, using some foresight, protect your own work properly and it won't get out until you want it out.

Being a designer to me is about sharing ideas, not keeping the idea to play with it all by yourself. That I suppose would get kind of boring, there is new ground to be broken with every idea exchanged. To try and slight those who seek to attain that which one already has, well, is just wrong. I firmly believe we should help develop the young talent out there, nurture it, bring it along, not try to squash it. I guess a reminder is required? Everything has a beginning, everyone comes from somewhere. What you do with time here, well it's up to you to decide. Only you choose to make it memorable.

You are a good harvester of talent, I won't detract from that, but the King of the mountain thing, I'm better than you, c'mon? it's so over. I realize that it you probably get kind of lonely at the top of your little niche mountain but you also have to remember there will always be someone who will come along and knock you down. Not today and probably not tomorrow but someday one of these so called 20-somethings will be heir to the throne whether you like it or not. Go ahead take another look your mirror, long and hard, are you still the fairest one of all?

It's funny, you use the word renegade in your blog posting, I am sure at one point you were once considered a renegade (by that I mean one who broke from established customs) but how you have fallen. Please explain to me why a good portion of the agency work now a days is so, well, mediocre, I know you'll probably respond with the "It's the client's choice" but as a designer, let alone some one who brands (personally I hate this word as it is so oversaturated and misused in the industry, but that's a soap box for another day) is it not your job to guide them down the proper path? I guess it's easy to collect the checks and sit down with your, and I quote, "small panel of talented and respected members in the Sports Branding industry" and decide what the masses will prefer, but last time I checked inbreeding does not promote new ideas, it creates an offspring that never should have been. Experts at what, design, yes it is something I love and is my choice of career. The difference is I get it. I don't save lives, neither do you, so, unless you're curing cancer or finding a way to eliminate hunger forgive me if I don't bow in your presence. It's just design. Plain and simple. Oh, and by the way, design is purely subjective medium so there is no right or wrong solution just different paths.

Oh, one more thing, what it is a "weisel"? The least you could do in your rant is spell check it or was the person that you force to do that out that day applying for a job with firm to escape from under your thumb. Oh, oh I know now, that your clever idea of branding the membership of this site. If that is the case, could you whip up a logo for the "Creamer Weisel's" as I am curious as to what your vision is, so that we may chat about it and all we could possibly pay for it is about $199.00 unless you would rather donate it.

Thank you and goodnight Chicago!

I've never even heard of that guy...what did he get banned for?

And yes, he's giving free advertising to this site. Maybe 50 years from now we can look up "Creamer" in the Oxford Dictionary, and it will say: "a rabid hobbyist of sports logos and uniforms."

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

In regards to leaking concepts, believe me I understand the investment of both time and money in the development of the next great identity, I deal with it everyday. It is the nature of the beast to want to get out. Yes, some members are better sleuths than others but it's obvious that somewhere along the line between firm and client during the design process, the whole confidentialty clause gets brushed aside by one or more people therefore exposing some concept that may not be ready to see the light of day. You blame us, that's funny. It most likely comes from within your pipeline.

Again, very Bush-esque. Blaming this site for leaks is like prosecuting journalists for publishing leaked information. Who has been doing that? Oh, yeah. The Bush administration.

Sorry, again. End of political rant. Please return to your prior discussion.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The comments submission form is subject to authorization from the author.  All comments you leave will be read by him, but it is his discretion to post them.

This sounds like something the Bush administration would think up. Wait, they have -- it's called review and supression of scientific findings in EPA and FDA reports.

Back on topic, I'm 38 (with two kids, living near the Mason-Dixon Line, like Gueman), I'm a lawyer and I would be hard pressed to use MS Paint for anything but a bad night sky (dots on a dark blue background). I guess I don't fit his profile.

I'm 25, I have a degree in broadcasting. I am recently married and I have a stable career in the radio business. What's my point to this? My point is I think you can say that not everyone here is amateur and jealous of Tom O' Grady and Gameplan Creative. Everyone here is trying to make a career for themselves. It doesn't matter what it is, lawyer, sports talk show host, graphic design, architecture, or even pick fly :censored: out of pepper. At least we all know what we want and how we want it.

My dream was never to be an amateur and to be jealous of POOR Tom O' Grady, it was to get ahead in life. My purpose on these boards is to have fun, partake in an actual discussion about logos, sports, or anything that has to do with our culture. Tom O' Grady is a deusche bag. He is selfish, doesn't care about anyone else, and thinks he's god of Creative Design. When one Site crushes his ego he writes garbage on his blog and then turns around and donates $50 dollars to the site. Now if that doesn't tell you anything I can't really tell you. It sounds like he want's to be with us "jealous" and "amateurs". Which pretty much invalidates his argument.

I hope this board grows stronger and better, and after 50 years Chris Creamer Jr takes over and creates a multimillion dollar community. But we will never know. Chris Creamer Sports Logo Community is the best Community out here. I hope this never changes. There was my rant. I think I just made my blog as well :P.

i'm 33 and an Art Director for Fairway Outdoor Advertising, and run my own freelance biz.....if that's one of O'Grady's "Gen X logoheads have no real working knowledge of either the industry nor how decisions are made at the team management level" then count me in!

I'm 17, work in the ticketing office for the Long Island Ducks, an extremely successful minor league baseball organization.

I will be attending the University of South Carolina this fall as a major in Sport and Entertainment Management, with a minor (or if I find enough time, a second major) in International Business.

I am neither Generation X (firmly in place as a member of Genteration Y, thank you) nor a wannabe designer. I draw things because I like the idea of drawing things. I never expect anything I draw to be used by any team except those I run in fantasy leagues. I frequent these boards because I like a lot of the people that post here and because, as a person who sees sports both from the fan's and the future businessman's perspectives, I recognize just how important it is to have a very strong brand identity to work with.

That is all. Suck my balls, Tom O'Grady.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Good gravy Marie, who crapped in HIS cornflakes?

One point that hasn't been made here is that not only is it silly to blast this board, his real target shoulda been the company that let the designs leak. A classic case of shooting the messenger. I wonder if he would have had such a hissy if it had been picked up in, say, Peter Vecsey's column or some recognized NBA media. Probably would have considered it good pub.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

actually... im pretty sure im a wannabe logo creator person like he described. Even though i dont create logos. But im pretty sure that 99% of the people on this board are working profesionals who just have a love for sports logos. And 100% of the people on this board have the right to share their opinions with other people about what they choose, including logos.!

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

I've never even heard of that guy...what did he get banned for?

And yes, he's giving free advertising to this site. Maybe 50 years from now we can look up "Creamer" in the Oxford Dictionary, and it will say: "a rabid hobbyist of sports logos and uniforms."

That's actually not to bad an idea

The Logo Designers Wannabees were jealous. Plain and Simple.

Jealous of what? That were not asshats who lurk around message boards throwing mindless insults at people just to make himself feel better. All this done anonymously so as not to damage his reputation as a big rich fatcat (I wonder how that turned out?)

What a tool

I hope this board grows stronger and better, and after 50 years Chris Creamer Jr takes over and creates a multimillion dollar community. But we will never know. Chris Creamer Sports Logo Community is the best Community out here. I hope this never changes. There was my rant. I think I just made my blog as well :P.

Chris Creamer Jr.? multi-million dollar company? Is babydoll aware of all this? ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

I hope this board grows stronger and better, and after 50 years Chris Creamer Jr takes over and creates a multimillion dollar community.  But we will never know.  Chris Creamer Sports Logo Community is the best Community out here.  I hope this never changes.  There was my rant.  I think I just made my blog as well :P.

Chris Creamer Jr.? multi-million dollar company? Is babydoll aware of all this? ^_^

Just as long as Chris doesn't get any ideas :P

To quote Dennis Green from his Vikings coaching days: (and about 50 other people who have said that same thing)

"The great thing about America is that everyone has an opinion, but another great thing is that you don't have to listen to any of them. "

I enjoy reading everyone's posts (well, almost everyone's) even when I don't agree with them. Some people on here have a true gift of skewering ideas and concepts they don't like with rapier wit. On the other hand, some people just complain loudly thinking that LOUD is the same as CORRECT. That is what we have on this guy's blog. Bitter much?

By the way... you do realize that the only reason he is going to get more than a dozen hits to his blog is the link from this website : )

Fun as always!

PS - I am not a 20 something, but I enjoy it here anyway

PPS - Nike Sucks

BroncosSig.jpg

Archived