NCAA 07

tohasbo

Is it just me or does it seem strange to put Bush on the cover of an NCAA game even though he is going to the NFL?

I don't follow Madden cover boys all that well though, as I don't know if it has been done before.

normally they do put a graduating senior, (or leaving junior) on the cover of NCAA. They probably try to put the most marketable person who the fans can recognize the most.

madden is a different game. They do pretty much the same thing, pick an outstanding player from the year above, sometimes trying to do a little bit with any new features added to game (ray lewis, hit stick)

And im pissed they dont have NCAA for PC also. I had it in like 98 or 97 and played it all the time.

Is it just me or does it seem strange to put Bush on the cover of an NCAA game even though he is going to the NFL?

I don't follow Madden cover boys all that well though, as I don't know if it has been done before.

normally they do put a graduating senior, (or leaving junior) on the cover of NCAA. They probably try to put the most marketable person who the fans can recognize the most.

madden is a different game. They do pretty much the same thing, pick an outstanding player from the year above, sometimes trying to do a little bit with any new features added to game (ray lewis, hit stick)

And im pissed they dont have NCAA for PC also. I had it in like 98 or 97 and played it all the time.

Thanks for pointing out the NCAA/Madden thing. I told you I didn't pay attention. B)

Reggie Bush: NCAA 07 Football Cover Boy

Does not come to me as a surprise for the cover.

due to licensing rights, you can't put a player on the front that is actually enrolled in an ncaa school. they have to have graduated, then they can collect on some of the profits.

I wish they'd given it to Vince Young, seeing as how he was on a national-championship winning side in 2005/06

I don't think any NCAA cover boy won the national championship the year before...

the licensing rights are the same reason why they can't usually sell jerseys with a player's name on the back either, they can't have their names, likenesses etc. being used to make a profit, otherwise not only do they not get paid, but they get into trouble with the NCAA.

It seems like their policy is that the Heisman winner is who they want for the cover unless they don't go pro.

2002 - Weinke, '00 Heisman Winner

2003 - Harrington, (Eric Crouch '01 Heisman)

2004 - Palmer, '02 Heisman

2005 - Fitzgerald, Jason White returned to OU

2006 - Desmond, Leinart returned to USC

2007 - Bush, '05 Heisman

The only exceptions are Jason White, Matt Leinart and Eric Crouch. Leinart and White both stayed in school though so the Joey Harrington cover is the only one that's confusing because it probably should have been Eric Crouch.

As a Texas fan who has grown to never be shocked by the love given to USC from the national media outlets, I'm actually shocked that Reggie Bush wasn't made the first rookie in history to grace the Madden AND ncaa covers!!! :P

I really wish they would do regional covers though like magazines do sometimes. SI does it quite often. The South could have Vince, the West could have Reggie and the North/East could have.....Mario Williams? Deangelo Williams? Who cares really....

Personally, I like these the best (got them from a UT msg board):

vincehies0hw.jpg

celebration1xv.jpg

regional covers would never happen. games are big business, but I'm pretty sure the games get made - including packaging - in one central facility, thus defeating the point. SI can afford to print regional covers most likely as a happy coincidence with needing to print regionally in order to ensure copies get everywhere every week.

Harrington deserved to be on the cover - *blah blah blah west coast bias* - plus the Ducks deserved FAR more than Nebraska to have gone to that national championship game.

and last year one of the reasons Howard was on the cover was not only for his notable Heisman pose touchdown celebration, but it was also to 'celebrate' the Race for the Heisman mode in the game...however, that was the only cover I've seen in a while that had a tie into the gameplay modes, I don't think having Ray Lewis on the cover was sheerly because of hit stick, more that he had a monster year the year before.

and last year one of the reasons Howard was on the cover was not only for his notable Heisman pose touchdown celebration, but it was also to 'celebrate' the Race for the Heisman mode in the game...however, that was the only cover I've seen in a while that had a tie into the gameplay modes, I don't think having Ray Lewis on the cover was sheerly because of hit stick, more that he had a monster year the year before.

The last four Maddens, the cover boy has been chosen specifically because of the "big new feature" of that year's game:

2007 - Shaun Alexander - New Running Game Features

2006 - Donovan McNabb - Passing Cone

2005 - Ray Lewis - Hit Stick

2004 - Michael Vick - Playmaker Control

The important thing is why aren't the chumps at EA not putting this game on PC! :mad:

True dat. If they'd put out NCAA football and hoops for PC, I'd be happy man. Far less productive, but happy.

Slightly off topic: does anyone know if Reggie Bush is going to be allowed to wear #5 on the cover of NCAA '07?

:lol:

*ducks punches, runs away laughing*

I really wish they would do regional covers though like magazines do sometimes. SI does it quite often. The South could have Vince, the West could have Reggie and the North/East could have.....Mario Williams? Deangelo Williams? Who cares really....

i wish that they would do the regional covers too. Being a buckeye fan buying last years edition was tough on. i remember that game pretty clearly too. so it stung even more.

Or atleast they could offer some alternate covers on their site. kinda like some of the fan sites have done in the last few years.

Archived