New trends or innovations you LIKE

Okay... I'm picking this up from the thread on "pet peeves"... somebody posted to say that everyone on this board just basically hates everything new. I wanted to argue, but reading the posts, that does seem to be a likely assumption.

So... What NEW trends or innovations or ideas do you ACTUALLY approve of? I mean, new things, something that we've just first seen in the last ten years or so. Not throwback ideas, so don't say "black shoes" or "gray facemasks" or "laces on Hockey jerseys"... those are all old ideas. What is NEW and Different that you like?

You know what? I found it was kinda hard. I don't want to think of myself as a crusty stick-in-the-mud, I like to think that I'd appreciate innovation if it were good, but I really had trouble coming up with something.

So for me... here goes:

Football... I really like the ultra-metallic helmet colors. I also like the colored shoulders on the Titans and the Bills (although I hate pretty much everything else about the Bills uni).

Basketball... Strangely enough, I like the pro Nike templet used by the Lakers, Pistons, etc. Nike's football ideas are HORRIBLE, but in basketball they seem more restraned.

Hockey and Baseball, I'm drawing a blank.

To go along with this, what new uniform from the last few years do you like? And again, I mean NEW, not a throwback like the NY Giants, or Seattle Supersonics... something with some new ideas you actually like. For me, I'd go Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the Denver Nuggets

Baseball:

The return of uniforms that aren't just white or gray and the return of the sleeveless look. Now, one team that won't be mentioned here has totally goofed it up by having a black vest (I think we all know who that is), but in most cases they look pretty good.

Football:

The metalic helmets

The return of the old USC look (like what O.J. Simpson wore when he won the Heisman).

Basketball:

I'm not sure I like any of the changes in basketball.

Hockey:

I like a lot of the alternate uniforms.

I like the trend toward alternate unis, especially in baseball, where over 162 games, seeing the same two unis can get boring. I especially like one-offs such as the Spanish-language unis or the Padres' camos. Even if they turn out like ugly on a stick, they do show a link between the team and its fans, and sometimes are very clever. They also work better in hockey and basketball. I don't think they work as well in football, where the uniform basically is the player - you can't imagine Brett Favre in anything but green and gold, f'instance.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

It's not really related to logo design, but I like the availability of MANY players in terms of NFL replicas. Back in the day, if you were a Patriots fan, you had the choice of Drew Bledsoe, and, if you were lucky, Ben Coates. Now you can get almost anyone without customizing it. Perfect for a jersey junkie like me.

In terms of design, I like how the NFL's fairly-recent redesigns of the Patriots (2000-present), Vikings (2006) and Texans unis. The shoulder-wedge design, so to speak, is I think a good update to many of today's unis.

I do like some of the newer alts in MLB, eve nthe Red Sox red alt, whose original incarnation appeared in 1996 when their AAA affiliate in Pawtucket first wore them. I've always liked the design. I also think that the O's, Braves, Dodgers, and Marlins have really nice alts. I agree that seeing the same 2 unis 162 times a year can get boring.

I like alot of the alts in the NHL. I don't really follow it as much as I used to. I still hate the Winnie the Pooh Bruins alt though.

Baseball: I do like the sleeveless jerseys, most of the time (die Rockies). It's hard to say what else about baseball, since most of their "new" stuff is just throwback stuff. I don't like the Cool-Flo helmets, but I don't MIND them, really (except the Mets' black ones).

Hockey: The third unis have been pretty cool lately (I even like Atlanta's). The Ducks, Colorado, Minnesota all have sleek looking alts.

Basketball: Ummm, I like some of the new sets like the Cavs and Grizzlies. But overall there's too much noise in the uniform sets.

Football: I hate pretty much every new direction taken by teams over the years. The one sport where I embrace throwbacks unconditionally (anything to get out of monochrome unis!). Within the last ten years, I'd have to say the Titans have had the best new set.

I'm as old school as it gets but there are a couple of new uniforms in the NFL that I like. I think the Rams did a nice job with their "update" as did the Patriots.

I really like the advent of NFL alternate jerseys. There are a couple that are pretty awful (Philly's immediately comes to mind) but most of the rest are at least decent, some are excellent. I like the most of the alternates in MLB, The NHL, and The NBA too.

I may be in the minority but I like the new cool-flo helmets in baseball

It's not that us old school advocates hate anything new we just want it done right. The Rams simply updated a classic look. The Patriots did a complete redesign that worked. They did it right. The issue I have with "modernizing" is the the garish clown suits, teams like Arizona, Cincinnati, Atlanta etc. There's nothing wrong with trying something new but there's never a good reason to ruin a perfectly good look.

It goes without saying that I like the throwbacks. :D

BB52Big.jpg

It's not really related to logo design, but I like the availability of MANY players in terms of NFL replicas. Back in the day, if you were a Patriots fan, you had the choice of Drew Bledsoe, and, if you were lucky, Ben Coates. Now you can get almost anyone without customizing it. Perfect for a jersey junkie like me

that is so true,i remember back in my days of working at the sports store we were lucky if we had more than 3 players in one team to get jerseys of.For year i only had a Giants hampton jersey to wear due to the fact the only other choice was Dave Brown wich i refused to buy since the giants have gone to the retro look i have purchased over 12 giants jerseys in the last 6 years and it's amazing of how many players i can get :D

i am a fan of the alts that works well in the NFL.

Panthers blue are great. Texans red are cool. And Ravens all black does fit the team. And yes, Bengals' orange are nice in my eyes. Heck, have you ever came across a black Bengal before, I am pretty sure they are all orange.

Now, if those pisky marketing people at New England would realize they need a red alt instead of a silver one, we will be in heaven.

In basketball and football, I like the team logo above the player name. Go ahead, kill me.

You know, I really don't see what all the hatred over this trend is about, either. As far as graphics go, its a pretty small thing... almost unnoticable in a game setting. But some people are going nuts over this, like its the worst thing ever.

I like that, in soccer, Nike - the company who started the 'template' style four years ago with their jerseys debuted for the world cup and used by clubs in '02-03 - has gone with a clean and retro look without much piping or underarm stuff for their new jerseys...the new adidas stuff just proves how bad templates can be.

I like how the NBA doesn't have any manufacturer logos...but I dislike how a player can have up to 10 NBA logos on their body in uniform. that's slightly uncool.

and I like the Duck uniforms from the past three years - except for our civil war futuristic blacks this year. even though the colors may be garish, and we wore them in every possible permutation, the actual design itself is very clean, simple and stylish.

harperdc.gif

far as new new stuff, piping on a football jersey when it's done well. Miami, for instance.

far as old new stuff, NFL alternates (and most alts in general). the only gripe I have is that they only allow recolored versions of the regular jersey, or throwbacks. as the Blues and Stars have shown us, giving a new design a test drive by using it as an alt first can pay off.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Things I like...at least in the NFL...over the last 10 years or so there's been a lot of COLOR introduced. Before the Panthers, who would have ever envisioned that hueof blue being used for ANY pro sports team? I LIKE IT! Then Jacksonville goes with teal. Another yes move in my opinion. (BRING BACK THE TEAL #'s JAX...PLZZZ!!!). Then, of course, what I think may have been the biggest change--the COMPLETE REBRANDING of my beloved Buccaneers. Going pewter was GEE-NEE-US!! Best helmet in the NFL. One of the best uniforms in the NFL (well, at least the color-jersey version anyway).

I've also been liking that the NFL has been at least willing to open things up a bit--with the alts. True, teams only get to wear them twice a year, but still--every other major league had them, then the NFL followed suit. Good to see different things every now and then, like Cincy in the orange (just don't pair them with the white pants like last year against GB or they might be rebranded the Cincinnati PUMPKINS. :lol: That Carolina third is nice, too. (Kinda wish they'd go to that full-time, if only to set them apart from EVERY OTHER TEAM IN PRO SPORTS--that'd be cool.) I hear the Pats might intro a red alt this year. Don't really care for NE, but I'd like to see how that looks on the field. A few years ago the Saints had gold alts--kinda like to see those again, too. Loved those. Now, if someone could get the Bucs to whip out a pewter alt, to be worn with the white pants...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

i like the newer trend of NFL teams having multiple pants to choose from.

it lets you see a different look every once in a while, without needing 5 or 6 sets of jerseys.

and i love baseball teams that have a team color alternate, rather than just white and grey.

I finally thought of one (only took like four days):

In baseball, a number of teams have adopted jersey scripts and cap logos with a touch of dimensionality. Beveling, shading, 3D effect drop shadows, and so forth. The Rangers script, the Angels caps, much of the Nats identity, the shadow on the Brewers script, even the Jays. This is a new trend, and it looks great.

But thinking hard about the only two sports I follow -- baseball and soccer -- I honestly can't think of another recent "trend" I care for. I love the switch to full-button jerseys in baseball, and the more classic uniforms it inspired, but that's been more of an established fact than a trend for at least a decade now. Maybe more young players are wearing their socks high, which is a good thing.

And how come nobody talks about snooker uniforms? :rolleyes: There has been an increase in metallic or colored vest backs in the last few years, which is a fun trend, but also a rise in black shirts under black vests, which is a very bad thing.

20082614447.png

I have to shamefully admit I liked the '90's trend of incorporating graphics into jerseys, such as the Raptors and Hawks in the NBA. I also liked the incorporation of the oversized team logos in the WAFL and CFL jerseys during those times. I obviously must have no taste since those fads died as quickly as they started!

LT

I have to shamefully admit I liked the '90's trend of incorporating graphics into jerseys, such as the Raptors and Hawks in the NBA. I also liked the incorporation of the oversized team logos in the WAFL and CFL jerseys during those times. I obviously must have no taste since those fads died as quickly as they started!

aint no shame in it, shoot, I wear it as a badge of honor :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived