Saints' Payton Following Parcells' Example

BlueSky

While viewing pics from the Saints rookie mini-camp, I noticed their helmets were sans fleur-de-lis's and wondered if new coach Sean Payton was following Bill Parcells' example in making Cowboys' rookies "earn the star." Sure enough, pics from last year's rookie mini-camp show the rooks had logos on their lids.

Also liked Payton's response to Reggie Bush feeling a slight muscle strain in his first practice. The coach quipped that Reggie has had too many limo rides lately. :P

Two big thumbs up to Payton for setting a new tone for the Saints.

This year, S Roman Harper:

03-Y8D3317.jpg

Last year, S Josh Bullocks:

02-G3D6953-72.jpg

OK, ran across this in a post-practice press conference:

Q: Is there a reason why no players have fleur-de-lis on their helmets this weekend?

A: "These guys coming in, a lot of them, we'd just assume put a nice piece of tape on their helmet and the name on the backs. We know who they are. We'll put on the fleur-de-lis when they get closer to making the team, maybe not just on the team, but we got to use them in the preseason. We'll see. Plus, it's easier on the equipment guys."

All photos ©Michael C. Hebert // neworleanssaints.com

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Don't most teams skip putting the logos on the helmets during mini camps? It just doesn't seem that out of the ordinary for the off-season.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Don't most teams skip putting the logos on the helmets during mini camps? It just doesn't seem that out of the ordinary for the off-season.

Don't know about most teams, just comparing the Saints last year to this year.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I bet the Browns doesn't do that, I could be wrong

And the Steelers do it half of the time.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Actually most teams tend to have the logos on the helmets from day one. I think that started in the early 90's. Before that the logos were only on the helmets during the season. At least from some of the pictures I've seen from NFL films that seems to be the case

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived