Tennesse Titans Proposed Team Names

AceTen

When they announced they were going to change the name, some local guy made this big presentation for Copperheads, but it wasn't really considered.

They had a pseudo-contest to try to "guess" what the name would be, but it was Bud Adams' decision and he chose Titans.

There reallly wasn't a gigantic fuss, or a leak, or a big deal about it, because at the time, the Oilers were not the Almighties that they are now. They had just come off playing at Vanderbilt and drawing 30,000 a game.

The town wanted a name change and they got it. Bud wasn't excited about ditching the Oilers name. At all. He had had it for so long. But he was convinced, by others, that it was the best thing to do.

But, to sum up, I don't think there were other names considered. Never heard of them if they were.

Tennessee Tuxedoes  :D

Phineas J. Whoopee, you're the greatest.

tentux-2.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

There were a total of 34, but "Tennessee Tuxedos" was NOT, repeat NOT one of them. I know that simply because when I saw the list, I was disappointed that it wasn't there. :D

A friend of mine and I cybersquatted a bunch of the names as soon as the list came out, but Titans turned out to be one we didn't get. I don't remember the entire list, but Copperheads, Tradition, Wolves, Vipers, Commanders, Presidents, and Fury were among the names allegedly under consideration.

nav-logo.png

btw, i've got the unused names for all the recent NFL expansion teams (and failed teams) along with unused WLAF names, if anybody's interested.

Hey, I'm interested.

Btw, wasn't Hound Dogs considered? Or was that part of the '95 expansion?

cttdolphins2.png

Hound Dogs was for Memphis. That's what they chose. Among others:

Houndogs (spelling variant), Bandits, Rivermen, Bombers and Showboats.

Jacksonville: Sharks

Baltimore: Bees, Rhinos, Claws, Cobras, Ravens and Bombers (the one they chose)

Carolina: Spiders, Rhinos

St. Louis: Scouts, Rivermen, Archers, Stokers and Stallions (the one they chose)

Houston: Stallions, Wildcatters, Stormcats, Bobcats, Wildcats, Challengers, Apollos, Texians, Toros, Wranglers, Roughriders, Roustabouts, Colt 45's, Roughnecks, Energy and Hurricanes.

WLAF: Rogues, Daredevils, Marauders, Pioneers, Waves and Alamos.

The Nashville paper was listing all of the possible names when Bud was deciding. I seem to remember the team or the newspaper taking a non-binding poll. Most of the names listed here seem very familiar. As I recall it came down to Titans and Copperheads. I like the alliteration(sp.?) of Tennessee Titans. If anyone has access to the Tennessean's archives, they could probably find it there.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Tennessee Tuxedoes   :D

Phineas J. Whoopee, you're the greatest.

tentux-2.jpg

I'm sure we've had that exchange before--I liked that cartoon.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

St. Louis: Scouts, Rivermen, Archers, Stokers and Stallions (the one they chose)

Houston: Stallions, Wildcatters, Stormcats, Bobcats, Wildcats, Challengers, Apollos, Texians, Toros, Wranglers, Roughriders, Roustabouts, Colt 45's, Roughnecks, Energy and Hurricanes.

Wow. Imagine if they had chosen the Baltimore Rhinos, the Carolina Spiders, the Houston Energy, the Jacksonville Sharks, the St. Louis Stokers, and the Tennessee Tradition.

What could they possibly think of next...the Washington Wizards? :P

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

You missed one.

When the Browns moved Baltimore, the name choice was narrowed down to the Ravens and the Americans. The rest is history.

Could you imagine the Houston Texans facing the Baltimore Americans?

More on the Tennesse Copperheads concept.....

When the Houston Oilers first moved to Tennessee, a group of fans started a movement to change the team's name to reflect their new home. They even designed a helmet like the one above to represent the new identity, while keeping a link to the past with the oil derrick logo. The actual logo may have been more faint, almost barely visible.

Copperheads.gif

NYCdog.png

You missed one.

When the Browns moved Baltimore, the name choice was narrowed down to the Ravens and the Americans. The rest is history.

I just doublechecked, and the NFL never trademarked Americans when the Browns moved. Another sports firm (not affiliated with the NFL) had registered Baltimore Americans by May 93, and it was approved May 95. The Browns announced the move in November 95, and they registered Ravens in March 96. The Baltimore Americans trademark was active until 2002. So they couldn't have had it if they wanted it.

Archived