How would you fix the nhl?

habsfannova

Leave the lines alone. In fact, move them back to what they were a few years ago, there is way too much space behind the goalie...

Leave the red line.

The game of hockey is fine as it is, don't touch the game. What needs to be fixed is the marketing and operation of the league. That is what is killing it...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leave the lines alone. In fact, move them back to what they were a few years ago, there is way too much space behind the goalie...

Leave the red line.

The game of hockey is fine as it is, don't touch the game. What needs to be fixed is the marketing and operation of the league. That is what is killing it...

I agree, though I think RC was joking since if you do that it takes up almost the enitre Neutral would be taken uo by lines, if not the whole thing.

I agree marketing is the biggest problem. I think you can sell the nhl the way it is. You can sell the hitting and you can sell the players. How many times in the last 20 years have you heard about a big NHL player go on trial for murder or rape???

Never

Though it doesn't help marketing when you have a commish that doesn't know the first thing about hockey.

heres the best way... :D

there was an article in a NE Junuor hockey newpaper about Speed Hockey. Its played in a square rink that 50 feet on all sides. There is no blue line, just a red line and goal lines and the net is pushed into the boards, like an indoor soccer net is.

now thats hockey...lol

untitled-1.png

Yeah Bettman has to go, maybe they could make someone liek Don Cherry, Wayne Gretzky or Lou Lamorello the new commish. These guys have hockey in their blood, and will have instant credibillity with fans, players and owners alike.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think they could keep a few teams in the south, but relocate some teams back to Canada, and get me a team in Milwaukee.

Think Packers fans, but inside.

Think rivalries. Milwaukee/Chicago/Minnesota/Detroit The NHL even schedules games in Milwaukee from time to time. Once we renovate the Bradley Center, get up here!

The only reason im not a hardcore hockey fan is because I dont have a pro team. U of Wisconsin Hockey has always been popular and successful.

There are larger markets, but common sense should apply. How many kids grow up in Phoenix playing hockey? Well, I can tell you that in middle and high school here in wisconsin, kids were going to practice on school nights around the clock, because there were not even enough rinks to keep up with all the teams that were forming.

Overall, the league is not as marketable because you dont have teams in places where sports are a main part of the entertainment. There is always something better to do in LA, unless the team is winning, but north of the mason dixon, east coast aside, many times the pro sports ARE the better thing to do.

Just my two cents.

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

With the exception of Dallas which so far has proven to be a good market for hockey the NHL should not have any teams where it never gets cold. Teams in LA, Phoenix and Florida  where its summer 12 months of the year hockey seems out of place.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Leave the rules alone.  Games are now about 2 hours 30 minutes max where they were 3 hours a couple years ago.  It doesn't need to be any shorter.  If I'm paying a lot of money to see a game, I want to be there for a while.  No need to rush.

Leave all lines where they are.  No need to go crazy here.  Also, think about the cost because you'd have to change ALL the rinks in North America if the lines were moved.

Cut only some of the South out.  Cut Florida(let TB stay) and Nashville.

Maybe move some other teams to better markets.

I like the length of the games just the way they are. Long enough to get together with the guys and enjoy. Too longer and its hard to sit througth it, too short nad theres no point in getting together with a few drinks for the game. Maybe its time to take a step back and leave the game the way it is for awhile and see what happens. It's not entirely bad right now

How would I fix the NHL?  

1. Simple follow the path of the NFL in regards to the CBA.  Set a salary cap that will grow as the revenue grows.  This believe it or not has created parity in the league where anyone can win.  One year Pittsburgh might be out, the next, they could hold up the Cup.  For the Canadian teams, a slightly higher cap for the first 3 years will be in place in attempt to

2. Market the game properly.  Within the team, do community events to get the word out.  Example:  the Sharks prior to this season went on a hockey rink tour to get the word out about ice skating, hockey teams, and the Sharks themselves.  The more people you get interested, the more buzz you get.  League wise exposure is the big key.

3. Get a BIG TV deal in the United States.  While it may not be the big NFL and NBA deals, to get hockey on at least 4 nights a week is crucial.  As much as Fox is hated upon all hockey fans for Fox Trax, it did expand the game more than ever.  Fox gets the weekend hockey games.  If a ratings clause works,  Fox will then unveil a HNiC-like Saturday night.  One game on at 7:30 ET, followed by in-between studio show and then the West Coast game at 7:00 PT.  ESPN and ESPN2 would show games 3 nights a week, with one being a doubleheader night.  For Stanley Cup playoff games, the current agreement is valid.

4. 2 line passes are eliminated, ala international play.  Or in other words, outside icing, the red line is useless. This will open up passing in the neutral zone, and possibly create ways to nix the neutral zone trap.

5. Potential contraction or relocation.  With the CBA looming and looking to create a disaster of problems, contraction or folding is a possibility.  6-8 teams are in the bubble.  While closing shop is one option, the relocation is also an idea.  Houston, Seattle, Portland (Oregon), Hartford, Quebec City, Hamiliton, and Winnipeg are cities who have hockey of some form right now.  Teams like Florida, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Calgary, San Jose, Phoenix are in trouble.

6. Pittsburgh needs to be saved.  Unfortunately, Super Mario can't do it by himself.  A deal needs to be made for the team to eventually to get a new arena in the Steel City and for the league to help (ala Cleveland and the NFL.)

7. Committed owners and commisioner.  There are owners in it for the money.  Others actually care about the game and commit to a winning team in their home arena.  All teams should be dedicated to the league and not spread itself thin with other properties, arenas, or teams.  Also a commisioner that actually has been in Canada and knows the problem with the teams up there.  One that knows the game and doesn't expand to a non hockey market because its a great spot for the league meetings and to hang out during the Entry Draft.

8. Acknowledge that it was NO GOAL!  

9. If a season is cancelled, the Stanley Cup is awarded to the San Jose Sharks automatically.   :D  :P

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

1) More teams in Canada: The fact is, baseball would die if it were not in the US. Let's be real, are fans in Phoenix bigger hockey fans than those in Winnipeg? Of course not. Its about the wallets. Just like you wouldn't snatch Green Bay out of the NFL, Bettman needs to preserve hockey's roots.

2) Bettman has to go. He's tried to turn the NHL into some sort of NBA side show. I liked the mainstreaming ideas like changing the conference names - but retaining the trophies for the winners, etc. I even like the streamlining of divisions and such. But right now, the talent level in the league is so diluted because teams are in markets where we can't see them. Why is there hockey in places that not only never get cold - but lack a real fan base?

It's more than about money, its about perserving the future of the game.

3) Get fans out to games. Hockey is not a TV sport and the NHL has tried to sell itself to fans outside traditional markets by using TV contracts. If you put hockey in places where fans are, not only will games be more likely to sell out - so long as teams are "in the hunt", which will have fans tuning in on TV.

4) Move teams to traditional markets or untapped ones. Not only does Canada need teams in places (Quebec City, Winnipeg, Atlantic Provinces deserve a team too) because of the roots, but it would also be wise to put teams in US markets where hockey could be strong.  (Portland, Salt Lake City, WISCONSIN, HARTFORD and Seattle) are just a few cities offhand that I believe would sustain the game. It wouldn't require contraction because the talent level will sustain the game and if we're pouring money back into the game, rather than lining the owners pockets, it will pay for itself in the long run with an invigorated fan base.

Let's be honest, hockey is not going to surpass the NFL or NBA in popularity in the US. But what the southern expansion has done, is show that hockey can be successful on television and supported by fans in non-traditional markets. Instead of putting teams in these places, it would be wise to maximize the markets that work and centralize teams in these regions and the augment the rest with minor league teams that were doing perfectly well before the NHL swooped in and tries to steal their thunder.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I saw this about 6 months ago ina sports section. Made me fall to my knees and cry. In terms of ratings, the XFL, yes, the wrestling football league outdrew the NHL in regular season ratings. Thats not to say there aren't markets that are NHL happy, but just dwell on that for alittle

My XFL!  Oh how I miss my SF Demons.  I was oh so close to having a championship ring!  Yes, that was the sad (and funny at the time with the Demons) point, was that NBC, UPN, and TNN were beating out the NHL on ABC for ratings.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

1) More teams in Canada: The fact is, baseball would die if it were not in the US. Let's be real, are fans in Phoenix bigger hockey fans than those in Winnipeg? Of course not. Its about the wallets. Just like you wouldn't snatch Green Bay out of the NFL, Bettman needs to preserve hockey's roots.

2) Bettman has to go. He's tried to turn the NHL into some sort of NBA side show. I liked the mainstreaming ideas like changing the conference names - but retaining the trophies for the winners, etc. I even like the streamlining of divisions and such. But right now, the talent level in the league is so diluted because teams are in markets where we can't see them. Why is there hockey in places that not only never get cold - but lack a real fan base?

It's more than about money, its about perserving the future of the game.

3) Get fans out to games. Hockey is not a TV sport and the NHL has tried to sell itself to fans outside traditional markets by using TV contracts. If you put hockey in places where fans are, not only will games be more likely to sell out - so long as teams are "in the hunt", which will have fans tuning in on TV.

4) Move teams to traditional markets or untapped ones. Not only does Canada need teams in places (Quebec City, Winnipeg, Atlantic Provinces deserve a team too) because of the roots, but it would also be wise to put teams in US markets where hockey could be strong. (Portland, Salt Lake City, WISCONSIN, HARTFORD and Seattle) are just a few cities offhand that I believe would sustain the game. It wouldn't require contraction because the talent level will sustain the game and if we're pouring money back into the game, rather than lining the owners pockets, it will pay for itself in the long run with an invigorated fan base.

Let's be honest, hockey is not going to surpass the NFL or NBA in popularity in the US. But what the southern expansion has done, is show that hockey can be successful on television and supported by fans in non-traditional markets. Instead of putting teams in these places, it would be wise to maximize the markets that work and centralize teams in these regions and the augment the rest with minor league teams that were doing perfectly well before the NHL swooped in and tries to steal their thunder.

1) agreed on that count.  when was the last time Florida saw ice on the ground?

2) no comment on that.

3) agreed.  

4) well, Wisconsin's not a city, but i see what you mean. several years ago there was talk that the Penguins were considering moving to Milwaukee.  the only way i'd support a milwaukee team,though, is if the Admiral name was retained.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

How would I fix the NHL?

3. Get a BIG TV deal in the United States. While it may not be the big NFL and NBA deals, to get hockey on at least 4 nights a week is crucial. As much as Fox is hated upon all hockey fans for Fox Trax, it did expand the game more than ever. Fox gets the weekend hockey games. If a ratings clause works, Fox will then unveil a HNiC-like Saturday night. One game on at 7:30 ET, followed by in-between studio show and then the West Coast game at 7:00 PT. ESPN and ESPN2 would show games 3 nights a week, with one being a doubleheader night. For Stanley Cup playoff games, the current agreement is valid.

Maybe the NHL should shoot lower then Fox. Why not go with the WB, before Fox got the NFL there were no bigger then the WB is now. If the WB wants to leigitmize itslef there is no better then having a professional sports league on every week. The WB can show a HNIC like show all day Saturda, and the entire playoffs. Get people in the habbit of watching it. They can even simulcast HNIC features like Coach's Corner during intermission.

You show us Don Cherry the NHL will grow in popularity.

IF ESPN insits on being ESPNBA then make a deal with another cbale provider. Spike TV, or USA Network if neccasary. If the games are there hockey fans will find it. It dont matter where it airs as longa s it airs.

And when the raitings grow ESPN and ABC will be sorry.

Its to bthe point now where ESPN mocks the NHL low riatings on shows liek PTI, and Around teh Horn. Yet do they ever market it? No. So the NHL needs to get better marketing on ESPN or a new home thats it.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

IF ESPN insits on being ESPNBA then make a deal with another cbale provider. Spike TV, or USA Network if neccasary. If the games are there hockey fans will find it. It dont matter where it airs as longa s it airs.

Actually, I heard something a little while ago about the next TV deal for the NHL being with CBS and Spike TV.  It be really smart to be on Spike TV for cable, all internal promotion would be for the NHL instead of the NBA like it is currently and Spike would be able to show more hockey than just one night a week.

Archived