Hampton Roads/Norfolk Rhinos

I'm going to assume to there is some, but what is the reasoning behind the Rhinos nickname?

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

That's Toledo Storm bad.

That's an insult to the Storm. ^_^

Seriously, that doesn't look worthy of the ECHL. Yikes.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

That's Toledo Storm bad.

That's an insult to the Storm. ^_^

Seriously, that doesn't look worthy of the ECHL. Yikes.

It doesnt look worthy of a team in my high school roller hockey league.

th_island1-med.gifStanley Cups 1980,1981,1982,1983

th_dodgers1-med.gifWorld Series Titles 1955,1959,1963,1965,1981,1988

th_boys1-med.gifSuper Bowl Titles VI,XII,XXVII,XXVIII,XXXth_jet2-med.gifSuper Bowl Title III

th_ny1-med.gifth_norangers-med.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

I'm going to assume to there is some, but what is the reasoning behind the Rhinos nickname?

Yes there is a reason behind the nickname. The Norfolk Zoological Park is one of the city's biggest attractions, and at the time, they had the oldest White Rhino in captivity. It was the zoo's biggest draw until the park totally renovated and made and extraordinary Asian tiger exibit. Hope that that touches on the significance of the Rhino rendition and nickname choice. I followed this quite closely, being a native Virginian practically my entire life AND a humongous NHL fan, so it was a really big deal to me. The proposal for our bid came around the time the NHL was picking 4 expansion cities (which was finally whittled down to Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus and Minnesota), and Bettman was really pulling for our bid but we failed to meet the mandatory season ticket sales by the deadline. The Hampton Roads area, also referred to as the Seven Cities (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton, Suffolk), are very conservative and, honestly, scared of changing the area in any way, especially for something so expensive and 'pointless" as a professional sports franchise. Minor league hockey has THRIVED in the area, but thats as far as they were willing to take it. B

BTW, that IS the right logo they proposed, but im not sure about all the NHL shield business.

Hope it helps.

~UJ

I just wish they would've given us the fracnhise. We'd be better off, I love the Admirals and the Renegades, don't get me wrong. But, NHL quality hockey in good ol' Virginia would've have been a blessing.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Wonder why the new NHL shield is on the Rhino in the banner

It's not the new NHL logo, it's just a mirror image of the other logo with everything removed.

He's right. I just flipped the logo in question.

banner shown above:

Rhinos_Ad_Pitch.jpg

flipped version:

Rhinos_Ad_Pitch.jpg

Like I said, eSabre is right. That's not the new NHL logo, just a flipped version of the old.

None, just a dumb name chosen. It's understandable why the Rhinos were overlooked.

Did you even read the post above yours?

It's not the new NHL logo, it's just a mirror image of the other logo with everything removed.

exactly.

i remember seeing this online years ago.

yahoo, back when they had directories and junk like that, for sites... they had an NHL expansion category.

they had one for the wild, thrashers, jackets, and predators, and a rhinos page.

the wild's page was actually as ugly and amateurish as the rhinos one, if memory serves.

but most, if not all, of the expansion teams had on the site that they were officially granted franchises. the rhinos page was about a bid.

exactly.

i remember seeing this online years ago.

yahoo, back when they had directories and junk like that, for sites... they had an NHL expansion category.

they had one for the wild, thrashers, jackets, and predators, and a rhinos page.

the wild's page was actually as ugly and amateurish as the rhinos one, if memory serves.

but most, if not all, of the expansion teams had on the site that they were officially granted franchises. the rhinos page was about a bid.

I just wish they would have given Norfolk the franchise over Atlanta or Nashville. Columbus, I think is worthy of their team. They have great fan support and I love their style. Minnesota deserved another franchise as soon as the North Stars left. As far as the Preds and Thrashers go...I like both cities and the teams. But, I would have rather seen a franchise put into the Norfolk/Hampton Roads area. We would have been sutied better for rivalries. Ex. Carolina definitely would've been a huge one. Washington would have been a team to beat. Including Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. :censored:, even the Devils and Rangers would have been big ticket selllers in Norfolk. I'm not saying Nashville and Atlanta do not have their heated rivalries. But, I would've rather seen the "could have been" rivalries.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Archived