No more LockMonsters?

sanq

So what about Albany now?

Yeah like Dilbert said Albany is with Carolina. The Albany ownership had a dispute with the Devils. Albany didn't understand the point of the AHL and didn't like the fact that the Devils were a successful NHL team which meant later draft picks which means less talent going through the farm. That and the Devils traded draft picks in order to help get pieces for Cup runs. Albany didn't like the fact the Devils used the team to develop their prospects for the NHL (Which is the entire point of the AHL). So the Devils bought the Lowell team so they wouldn't have to deal with AHL ownership anymore.

So what about Albany now?

Yeah like Dilbert said Albany is with Carolina. The Albany ownership had a dispute with the Devils. Albany didn't understand the point of the AHL and didn't like the fact that the Devils were a successful NHL team which meant later draft picks which means less talent going through the farm. That and the Devils traded draft picks in order to help get pieces for Cup runs. Albany didn't like the fact the Devils used the team to develop their prospects for the NHL (Which is the entire point of the AHL). So the Devils bought the Lowell team so they wouldn't have to deal with AHL ownership anymore.

heh, if they didn't wanna deal with sending guys up to the NHL they should get a team in the ECHL or the UHL.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

why the devils? i understand wanting to connect the farm with the parent club but why not keep the lock monsters the way it was. IT was one of the more unique names that I liked.

The NJ Devils purchased the franchise from the local ownership group near the end of the season.

There is a question of whether the team is going to be in Lowell for the long haul, or whether it is merely a pit stop until the Devils can find someplace to play in the state of New Jersey.

Well, if that's the case, I'd look for a quick replacement team in the Lowell market, and hopefully a return to the Lock Monsters name.

Already, the AHL has slated a return to Cleveland for 2007, owned by the same group as the Cavs. That means a return of the Barons, without the goofy and contrived Shark logo. Perhaps the Barons will be clad in wine, navy, and gold.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

My guess since the old Utica Devils logo (that team was owned by the Devils also) was the NJ Devils logo in a shape of a U instead of an NJ that the lowell logo will look somethign simular to this.

lowelldevs.gif

Shortly after the Devils bought the team I read that the Devils might move them to Newark and do something to what the Flyers do with the Phantoms. The difference in this case is the Devils might have their AHL team actually play in the same building as the Devils themselves.

The new arena is supposed to open for the 2007-2008 season and the Devils right now are the only tenants of the arena. As the they will pretty much own the arena and would collect money off all events in the arena besides Devils games they would like to bring other teams in to play there. They have an extended an offer to the Nets to come play there if the Brooklyn deal falls through and I think Seton Hall Basketball is supposed to be play there. Another option is as mentioned moving Lowell in there also.

The Devils have agreed to keep the team in Lowell for 2 Seasons. After that who knows. If they do end up moving into the Newark Arena with the parent club my guess is they would change the name from Devils to avoid confusion.

Well, if that's the case, I'd look for a quick replacement team in the Lowell market, and hopefully a return to the Lock Monsters name.

I wouldn't bet on that. The previous ownership tried desparately to find another local group to buy the team to keep it in town. When none was found, the Devils purchased the team.

The Devils wanted to place a team in Lakewood, NJ, but financing for a new arena fell apart.

Demonized.

:censored:ing demonized.

The team changes its name to the Devils, and puts up graphics in the Demonized font.

I owe somebody in the media department a phone call?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Lame, utterly lame. Is there any creativity in the AHL anymore? Now, the teams have been using their parent club names or uniforms for a few years now. I want to see some creativity. I'm getting sick and tired of this :censored:.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Wow, I'm surprised that someone bought the Lowell franchise. If you didn't know, the team was owned by a group headed by Howard Baldwin - the same guy who owned the New England Whalers and was rumored to try to be pushing to bring a team back to Hartford. His whole promise to the city was to build up the attendance for a Hartford AHL team he would own to the likes of Lowell and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's attendance and, if he couldn't, he would sell the AHL team and give up on the plan.

Since that was such a staple of his Hartford proposal, I wonder if he's finally, officially backed out.

How about put the team in Continental Airlines Arena after the Devils move to Newark? Problem is, you cant even get fans to see an NHL game there now, how will you get them to go to a minor league game? And are the River Rats just gonna slap their logos on Hurricanes jerseys? Colors would work.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

How about put the team in Continental Airlines Arena after the Devils move to Newark? Problem is, you cant even get fans to see an NHL game there now, how will you get them to go to a minor league game? And are the River Rats just gonna slap their logos on Hurricanes jerseys? Colors would work.

I highly doubt that the Devils are going to give a competing arena buisness. The State has decided to keep Continental Arena open to compete with the new arena. The Meadowlands president keeps attacking the new arena in Newark. The Devils aren't going to give the Meadowlands who they have been at odds with for year buisness when they could put the team in their own arena and collect 100% of the revenue. That is if they move the team to NJ. They might keep the team in Lowell.

I've been lurking on these boards for years, and while I'm normally content to sit back and watch I just couldn't let this go. The thing to keep in mind about affiliations is that the team (unless it is owned by the parent organization), pays for the privilege of developing a team's talent. Albany chose to end its affiliation with New Jersey because the Devils have shown little interest in providing them with the necessary talent to be successful. As far as your argument that this is a result of New Jersey's success and weak drafting, I would like to point out that Grand Rapids (affiliated with Detroit) and Portland (affiliated with Anaheim) are both in the conference finals and are affiliated with two highly successful (and late drafting) NHL teams. The simple fact of the matter is that not all affiliations are created equal, and some NHL teams treat their AHL affiliates much better than others. Ultimately New Jersey has proven itself to be one of the less desirable affiliates, and I'm curious to see how the Lowell Devils will manage in the upcoming season.

Wow, I'm surprised that someone bought the Lowell franchise. If you didn't know, the team was owned by a group headed by Howard Baldwin - the same guy who owned the New England Whalers and was rumored to try to be pushing to bring a team back to Hartford.

Howard Baldwin never owned the AHL's Lowell Lock Monsters. He was a part-owner of the AHL's Iowa Stars until Bob and Kirby Schlegel bought him out. Previously, Baldwin owned the NHL's Hartford Whalers and Pittsburgh Penguins.

The Lowell Lock Monsters had been owned by textile magnate Elkin McCallum since 2002.

Archived