Retro football film

slats7

Remember how bad Any Given Sunday and the Replacements were, since the NFL denied them the license? The Replacements was supposed to be about the 1987 Redskins, but the NFL read the script, decided it was written by a first-grader, and said 'NYET!' (that's Russkie for 'no')

I'm simply amazed that they went out and got all the unis right for this movie, especially the Giants blue pants. I think they only wore them from 75-78.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

This is VERY well done. Other than the aforementioned field turf the only other error in continuity I can find is that Craig Morton (#15 Giants) didnt wear that kind of facemask till 1977 when he joined the Broncos, with the Giants he still wore a two-bar.

There is a short on Papale on the Eagles History DVD from NFL Films. Pretty much everything you see in this trailer is true (albeit with a touch of hollywood-syle over-emphasis). He played for the Philadephia Bell of the WFL before this and In 1976 he became the NFLs oldest rookie at 30. Apparenlty Stallone was pissed off because Papale was stealing his thunder as a Real Life Rocky.

Remember how bad Any Given Sunday and the Replacements were, since the NFL denied them the license?

Actually, I think "The Replacements" had great-looking uniforms. The Sentinels had better uniforms than half a dozen actual NFL teams.

Agreed on "Any Given Sunday," though. Bad arena football rejects. Sad thing is that some teams have been moving in that direction ever since - it's no longer laughable that an NFL team could take the field in all black monochrome. Well, it's still laughable, but it's no longer impossible.

One very nitpicky error I found:

In the trailer, Texas Stadium has an upper ring of skyboxes between the upper deck and the roof. I don't think those skyboxes were added until the 80s. I'm not sure.

It's not a big deal and probably won't hurt my enjoyment of the movie.

I mother-fu*king HATE the Eagles and any kind of feel-good :censored: story they have....

...however, i will go see this movie.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

This is VERY well done. Other than the aforementioned field turf the only other error in continuity I can find is that Craig Morton (#15 Giants) didnt wear that kind of facemask till 1977 when he joined the Broncos, with the Giants he still wore a two-bar.

There is a short on Papale on the Eagles History DVD from NFL Films. Pretty much everything you see in this trailer is true (albeit with a touch of hollywood-syle over-emphasis). He played for the Philadephia Bell of the WFL before this and In 1976 he became the NFLs oldest rookie at 30. Apparenlty Stallone was pissed off because Papale was stealing his thunder as a Real Life Rocky.

Since you mentioned Morton, I thought I would point out that Craig Morton, at least in the football scenes, is played by Chris Sanders of the Kansas City Brigade of the Arena Football League.

sidenote: Mark Wahlberg always makes a damn good movie. For my money he's never been in a dud. I'm actually suprised he didn't get nominated for Boogie Nights or get mentioned when people talk about actors who know how to pick good movies. Italian Job, solid movie, The Big Hit , same thing.

Never saw "Planet of the apes" did ya?!

sidenote: Mark Wahlberg always makes a damn good movie. For my money he's never been in a dud. I'm actually suprised he didn't get nominated for Boogie Nights or get mentioned when people talk about actors who know how to pick good movies. Italian Job, solid movie, The Big Hit , same thing.

Or "Rockstar"!

MarkyMark_MakeMyVideo_SegaCDboxart_160w.jpg

Archived