Windows Movie Maker

markar14

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but it seems that most of the computer program knowledge seems to be in General Design.

That said, I made a minute long video in Windows Movie Maker to be added to the back of a professionally-made montage for a relative's birthday, and the woman making the montage uses Final Cut on her Mac, which can't convert the .WMV ending. Both of us were wondering... is there any way to conveniently convert the movie to a .MOV file? Or also, if there isn't freeware or a trial version of software to do so, can someone use software they have to convert my clip? If so, please IM me ASAP.

As always, thanks in advance for the help.

MarKar14

FCP needs QuickTime-compatible files.

She should look at Flip4Mac. IIRC, it's a reasonable price, but it will allow her to do this sort of stuff in the future, and would be worth the price.

As an aside, WMV is a shoddy format, and you should try and export as an MPEG if that function is given to you. AVI otherwise.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

thanks for the help- turns out I found a free trial for Mpeg4Direct on downloads.com, and the .AVI conversion didn't lose too much qualtity.

I'm still up for anyone with real software to do a conversion--For only a minute-long clip and a rare chance of needing to convert again, I don't need to buy software if neccesary. PM if possible.

thanks

FCP needs QuickTime-compatible files.

She should look at Flip4Mac. IIRC, it's a reasonable price, but it will allow her to do this sort of stuff in the future, and would be worth the price.

As an aside, WMV is a shoddy format, and you should try and export as an MPEG if that function is given to you. AVI otherwise.

As Kit said, I believe Flip4Mac is the way to go.

"With Windows Media Components for QuickTime, by Flip4Mac, you can play Windows Media files (.wma and .wmv) directly in QuickTime Player and view Windows Media content on the Internet using a Web browser."

Free download is available here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...components.mspx

This will allow you to play Windows Media files in Quicktime, and -- if you have Quicktime Pro -- I believe you should be able to export it to other formats as well.

If I'm not mistaken, Mac has had a Windows Media Player for some time now, so simply encourage people to download that and keep it up-to-date.

Windows Media Player for Mac

that's all well and good, but microsoft is no longer supporting WMP for mac, the latest version available for download is version 9. therefore, you can't play digital rights managed files for version 10 on the mac.

lame.

If I'm not mistaken, Mac has had a Windows Media Player for some time now, so simply encourage people to download that and keep it up-to-date.

Windows Media Player for Mac

that's all well and good, but microsoft is no longer supporting WMP for mac, the latest version available for download is version 9. therefore, you can't play digital rights managed files for version 10 on the mac.

lame.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out, joel.

I recently built a large video internet app and found a lot of problems with getting wmv's to play on a mac... it's not the most practical solution but I eventually added a OS detection script and served up a MOV file when the user was using a mac, anyone else would get a WMV.

Works good so far.

http://www.videodurhamregion.com

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived